mit
it mostly bugs me that the majority of people that player her typically just freeze, shard, repeat. the shard's annoying yea but it's more getting trapped into getting shot by it because i accidentally ran into a mei and didn't take her out within a few seconds.
Draku
(Sep 15, 2016 at 6:48 AM)mit Wrote: it mostly bugs me that the majority of people that player her typically just freeze, shard, repeat. the shard's annoying yea but it's more getting trapped into getting shot by it because i accidentally ran into a mei and didn't take her out within a few seconds.
it's almost as if mei is meant to punish lone wolf players and she's countered by not lone wolfing
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
mit
(Sep 15, 2016 at 6:50 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Sep 15, 2016 at 6:48 AM)mit Wrote: it mostly bugs me that the majority of people that player her typically just freeze, shard, repeat. the shard's annoying yea but it's more getting trapped into getting shot by it because i accidentally ran into a mei and didn't take her out within a few seconds.
it's almost as if mei is meant to punish lone wolf players and she's countered by not lone wolfing

ehhh i'll give you that one. i guess it's mostly the stark contrast with games like TF2 where bigger teams = less individual threats so most of the characters in overwatch tend to lean towards more extremes than usual
Cam
The thing about lone wolfing is that it's intended with specific characters, if you play someone like Reaper or even Tracer you're not supposed to be stuck to the rest of your team, especially Reaper. I mean granted he has his whooshy shadow form escape for that reason but still.
If Mei is supposed to counter lone wolf players than why is she literally a giant foil to Reinhardt in every fucking way possible. Her ice beam goes through Rein's shield, it stops his charge, her healing ice chunk thing can also stop Rein's charge (and Roadhog from actually following up any hooks he lands on her, especially since as soon as she unfreezes she typically throws up an ice wall to run away), etc.

The thing about groups and shit in Overwatch is that even grouping up is punishable, like characters like Pharah and Junkrat can team kill on their own if everyone sticks together and they're good enough at it. Overwatch, unlike TF2, is designed where you're forced to focus on killstreaking and taking out as many enemies at once as possible, which is why so many characters have moves that focus on large blasts of damage, especially the ults, or if they don't immediately damage everyone within a certain radius they smoosh them together so that they can all be sweeped at once, like Zarya's gravity well. Like I've been in scenarios where fucking Pharah ults have team-killed my entire team, including me, and in that specific scenario I was Roadhog, and I was heal-boosted by Ana, AND I fucking used my self-heal, and I still couldn't survive it.

There's little room for player creativity as far as lots of characters go, everyone seems to rely on the same half-baked cookie-cutter strategies, and honestly lots of the time it isn't even their fault because it's what they've been provided with. Meis always use the same rinse and repeat with the ice beam and shard, they always ice themselves and wall as soon as it breaks to get away, and maybe if you're "lucky" you'll run into a Mei who throws up a wall to either prevent you from escaping or to prevent you from healing your allies. The vast majority of McCrees still flashbang-hammerfan constantly or waddle off to a high point and stand there and try to snipe people with their revolver until their ult kicks in.

This pops into my head a lot any time I get hit by the exact same two-step plan from someone online:
[Image: b1f.png]

I mean, ultimately I like the game, but I just think it's unbalanced and even buggy and the shit like Mit posted above where Roadhog's hook uses 76's fucking hitbox instead of its own, or how there's all these arbitrary quirks to it or how it relies entirely on whatever the fucking physics engine feels like doing is complete ass.
Part of my frustration stuff tho is just because I'm an idiot who thinks about every interaction I have fighting people in games on like, an actual fighting game level, so if someone uses the same shit over and over again, to me, it's mindless and takes zero effort instead of anything actually requiring learned skill, but with characters like Mei I'm not sure what else they're expected to do when they have such a limited pool of options.
[Image: fad.gif]
Draku
certain characters counter one kind of playstyle and others punish another, imagine that. yes if you keep right on top of eachother you're going to get hyper fucked by an aoe ult, there's a difference between doing that and being within reasonable distance to help someone out with a mei, considering her combo is easily disrupted by any interference. if you're playing reinhardt you're going to have your team near you anyways, so mei's threat level goes down quite a bit.

surprisingly, pharah's easily avoided ultimate that locks her in place leaving her extremely vulnerable does incredible amounts of damage. if a pharah aces your team with her ult alone, someone was doing something horribly wrong. if you're facing a zarya and don't have countermeasures for her ult ready that's also on your team.

roadhog is buggy as shit, that much is true. they really need to work on him in more ways than just his hook though, i don't particularly like the idea of his character in the first place. he's super easy to handle plus he's not that interesting to play as or against.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Cam
The vast majority of ults are AOE tho and every game mode revolves around grouping up together on a single target, whether that be a payload or a point or whatever. Whenever you're in overtime and your entire team is pushing a cart all it takes is for the enemy team to all pop ult at once to clear you out because you're all stuck together anyways just to contest the cart and hopefully win. If everyone scatters any time an ult is popped you'd lose regardless because you wouldn't be contesting anymore.

If both teams can freely switch chances are if any enemy goes Zarya one of us isn't going to rush back to spawn at the drop of a hat and switch just to deliberately counter her, I get that character switching is a big deal for other people (because if it wasn't teams wouldn't end up with two Bastions in the last thirty seconds out of complete desperation) but it can't be expected, especially in a game like Overwatch where the spawn points are 20 miles away and things are happening at the exact same time as any movement you make around the map. Within the time period an enemy can switch to someone and attack it would take me double that time just to go back and switch or die and switch, especially on maps like Volskaya when you're still on the first point.

I can't expect my team to withstand a Pharah ult or do anything about it when the comp consists of a Torb, Symmetra, Tracer, etc. and no one without either the health or a reliable weapon to actually take her out. In the specific scenario I mentioned the Pharah who ulted us didn't start as Pharah either, and only went Pharah in order to take the last point since their team was losing. If my team wasn't mostly defense characters who had already set up maybe switching would've been an option.
I also honestly can't expect my team, either random or friends, to be hyper-intelligent robots capable of perfectly countering everything the enemy team does. Each individual person is a varying level of skill, a varying level of aim, etc. Even if I had a fucking Hanzo the time I was sweeped by Pharah, in context, if that Hanzo had 10 health, then him being there wouldn't matter. Most of the time taking out Pharah during her ult relies on being beside or behind her, like a stray she didn't notice, or surviving long enough to peg her in the head before she finishes her voice line.
[Image: fad.gif]
GRIMglamfire
the thing i think thats still not understood well about overwatch and it will still take many Cycles is that its not fundamentally meant to be played as a moba, where you slot in as one hero. you're supposed to use heroes as strategies themselves and switch it up when it gets to the point that your strategy isnt working
[Image: tumblr_mcfkee_ABc_D1rtlpz7.jpg]
God
yeah i mean your team also has ults so just use them better than the other team does
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Tenebrae
Don't remember if I (Ryoga) posted in this thread on the now-dead forums. Tenebrae#1586.
I like DVa, Pharah, and Roadhog. I put a lot of work recently into improving with Pharah.

I have a shite laptop and play with like 50 fps max on minimum settings, more likely around 30 barely in fights.
I get by. I'm not now allowed to play Widow.
T-man
(Sep 21, 2016 at 1:14 AM)Tenebrae Wrote: I like DVa, Pharah, and Roadhog. I put a lot of work recently into improving with Pharah.
good taste

pharah is too shit for me to overcome
Tenebrae
(Sep 21, 2016 at 1:16 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Sep 21, 2016 at 1:14 AM)Tenebrae Wrote: I like DVa, Pharah, and Roadhog. I put a lot of work recently into improving with Pharah.
good taste

pharah is too shit for me to overcome

She has good damage, just no splash. So you have to hit the directs. I used Direct Hit in TF2 anyway. But she excels at shooting out main targets behind the Rein wall. Especially when attacking chokes like King's Row or Hanamura's first points.
Using her E for mobility actually really opens her up, too.
Her biggest downfall is hitscan characters immediately counter you if they are any good (76, McCree, and Widow, mainly).
God
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/g...h-Blizzard

looks like Symettra is getting a total rehaul come November. that's great news, i really like the idea of Symmetra but she's just total garbage.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Tenebrae
The issue comes from not providing major utility outside of it. When her tele isn't up, she's spamming easily dodged projectiles down a choke. She can do a lot of DPS when her gun ramps up, but that's only going to matter in team fights. Her shields are useful, but marginal. Her tele has six charges, and can change the tide of a team fight by being a delayed Mercy res. But it is so easily destroyed. Think about the first point of King's Row. A Genji could easily just follow her to where she places it, kill her, and destroy it instantly. Or destroy it after one or two teleports. I would rather see her tweaked to better work with her current design, but for the life of me, I can't think of a way that she could be tweaked, become viable, and retain her identity. So a minor to moderate overhaul might be more effective.
And for what it is worth, she is one of my favourite characters.
God
in competitive play there is absolutely no reason as to why the teleporter should fire even once. high ranked players know the map so well that there is no place that a genji or tracer can't get to that a teleporter would be, so here utility drops off dramatically once you start entering Diamond or above. because her turrets aren't likely to do massive DPS over a short period of time, they tend to just feed the enemy's supports' ults. and her 1v1 game is probably one of the worst in the game (maybe even on par with Mercy lol).

jeff kaplan said that Symmetra's usage is really situational, which i think is an accurate statement and situational characters should be avoided. she literally has no value on attack or koth maps, and her value drops dramatically once the first point has been taken on defence. i actually think her +25 shield matrix thingy is her best utility. really gives the whole team a good edge.
Dracon
Yeah, Symmetra is garbage right now. She's super situational and squishy and even with the utility her tele provides it's not worth turning the game into a 5v6. The ipod speakers she calls turrets are only good when you've got all of them up on a single point, her orbs are dodged by anyone with a working keyboard and her only real utility comes from giving up a player slot to give everyone else +25hp and a 6-use tele. I've never seen anyone go Symmetra in comp.

Really looking forward to that total rework.
God
yeah it's gonna be ace. i really like the idea behind Symmetra, and would love to see her used in the meta.

speaking of revamps, i think Torbjorn definitely needs some work.
Dracon
Well aside from his gun I don't have much issues with Torb, what do you think needs to be changed?

Also re: Symmetra, I thought about how Torb is like engy if he could only make sentries, and how Symmetra's role would be if she could make dispensers alongside teles if we're splitting engineer in two here, so to speak. Make some safe zones for people to roll back to and heal while helping respawns get back in the fight faster.
T-man
I think Torbjörn is fine for the most part, but I'm a console pleb so he had a pretty hefty nerf a couple months back.

As far as Symettra goes, I really like her but she's so situational that I rarely get to use her. Her biggest weakness is having zero range beyond the slowest projectile in the world. I'm interested in how they rework her.
God
god no why should torbjorn's turret be nerfed? it's incredibly underpowered as it is. it's easily countered by any hitscan / non-drop projectile / junkrat, has zero survivability, doesn't reliably convert damage into frags, and just doesn't justify simply using a better defence hero like mei. i can't remember the last time i saw a torb in comp, i've actually seen symmetra get more picks than him. his shield thing is good and i wish more players used that part of his kit. his ult is decent, but again it's a lot of trash damage that charges enemy ults and i don't think it's worth giving up one that provides more tempo. even bastion is better at being torbjorn than torbjorn.
mit
from my (admittedly half fucking around) experience in playing torb i feel like having more than one of him and sticking fairly close together helps get more work done, since otherwise you get targetted super hard and can't get a lot done.

like honestly sometimes it would get to the point where i'd get targetted so much i'd switch to a character like 76 and end up sweeping. torb's kinda weird that way though i wouldn't be against just giving him better defense or health or something, i think his damage outputs decent enough
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]

Thread Tags

vidya