Hello
[Image: 5chwgR5.png]

The Hello Mario Engine is an open source Mario engine for GameMaker: Studio that is feature packed, and designed to be easy to expand upon with user friendliness as a priority. The engine is fully documented with thousands of code comments, and includes tons of different powerups, over a hundred different enemies, and much, much more!

[Image: 7aMJ34o.png]

Official Website (Download here!)

What's new in 6.2?
Seven New Powerups: Added Acorn, Cloud Flower, Rock Shroom, Pyre Flower, Swooper Suit, Karate Suit, and Super Crown.
All Seven Koopalings: Added Morton, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig.
Various Bug Fixes and Tweaks

What's new in 6.1?
16:9 Widescreen Default Resolution
New Powerup: Wall Jump Shroom
Various New Features: Bomb Bricks, Propeller Blocks, Blue POW Blocks, New Net Koopa and Piranha Plant Variations, etc.
Various Bug Fixes: This includes all YoYoCompiler related issues, so you can use YYC export options without encountering any problems.

What's new in v6.0?
Code Rewrite: Newer, cleaner, fully commented code.
High Resolution Filtering: Choose between HQ4X, HQ2X, and no filtering.
Better Checkpoints: Supports infinite checkpoints per level.
New Powerups: Propeller and Boomerang Mario.
New Features: Mechakoopas, green bricks, triple wide question mark blocks, and more!
Many Changes to Existing Features: Better world map level blocking, keyhole animation, convex corner support for wall triangles, and more!
[Image: hf_logo_signature_white.svg]
T-man

>Wall Jump Shroom

Great addition! Can't wait to try it out.
Yrrzy
some people wanna make authentic old-style mario games so not having walljump default is useful for that
kaZaam
should just be a toggle somewhere in the engine. a powerup as situational as a walljump is only gonna create level design problems. im thinkan itd be p easy for someone to play themselves into a corner if like they get hit and lose their wallshroom right before a section where they need it or something like that. like yeah you could only use it for finding secrets or something but that's a p dull use for a mechanic as broad as walljumping. should def be a core mechanic or not in at all
kaZaam
situational powerups in general in a game like mario are like alw bad ideas
Yrrzy
tru
DrTapeworm
when does mario get a bazooka
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Hello
Well, it's an open source engine, so you can change the wall jump ability to work without the need for a powerup, or even make it so that you don't lose powerups when you get hurt. It's up to the person making the game to avoid those kinds of level design problems.
[Image: hf_logo_signature_white.svg]
kaZaam
well if all it does is potentially cause problems then why have it in at all? and im guessing most of your userbase are kids that are gonna overuse whatever new features you've implemented just for the sake of them being new and with something like the wallshroom, end up w a bunch of really broken levels. cant help that it's like the first new mechanic advertised in the trailer too. youre just encouraging reckless level design and fundamental misunderstandings of how powerups should work in mario
kaZaam
if all you can say abt your mechanic is "well you can turn it off" you should prob go back to the drawing board for a bit
Beako
It's not like if people make bad games with Hello's engines MFGG will automatically accept them. MFGG has quality control staff for a reason and a good engine doesn't always mean a good game.

The engine is great but my only beef is that it appears from the trailer that there's still no powering up/down animations. I suppose people could easily add that feature themselves, but last time I looked at one of your engines it seemed like adding powering up/down animation would require tearing apart the engine too much.

If I were to ever use this engine myself I'd probably just add a sequence of events where Mario cycles back and forth with sleep(ms), screen_refresh(), and screen_redraw(). But it's not something I'll ever personally have to deal with, since in the unlikely event I ever made a traditional Mario platformer, I'd rather make it from scratch.
kaZaam
well i guess it's not exactly an obvious issue, i think it's an important one though. mario powerups are supposed to give you an edge over a challenge you could still get past otherwise. you should never be forced to have a powerup to get through an area even barring everything ive said just because it makes for boring, undynamic gameplay
kaZaam
a way to kinda get around the whole playing-yourself-into-a-corner thing tho would be to make it so you don't lose the wallshroom when you get hit like with the other powerups. like itd only go away if you die. i still wouldn't like it just on principle but atl it wouldnt break levels as easily
Beako
Kazaam, what if someone used this engine and designed levels in a way where the Wall Jump Shroom wasn't necessary to complete a level but necessary to get something like a 3-Up Moon? I know you addressed this already but all you said was that it makes the powerup "dull" without elaborating and it seems like your arguments can be used to describe nearly every single Mario powerup in existence. Plug "cape feather" into everything you said and watch what happens.

>cape feather!? should just be a toggle somewhere in the engine. a powerup as situational as a cape feather is only gonna create level design problems. im thinkan itd be p easy for someone to play themselves into a corner if like they get hit and lose their cape feather right before a section where they need it or something like that. like yeah you could only use it for finding secrets or something but that's a p dull use for a mechanic as broad as flying. should def be a core mechanic or not in at all. situational powerups in general in a game like mario are like alw bad ideas. if all it does is potentially cause problems then why have it in at all? and im guessing most of your userbase are kids that are gonna overuse whatever new features you've implemented just for the sake of them being new and with something like the cape feather, end up w a bunch of really broken levels. youre just encouraging reckless level design and fundamental misunderstandings of how powerups should work in mario. if all you can say abt your mechanic is "well you can turn it off" you should prob go back to the drawing board for a bit. mario powerups are supposed to give you an edge over a challenge you could still get past otherwise. you should never be forced to have a powerup to get through an area even barring everything ive said just because it makes for boring, undynamic gameplay. a way to kinda get around the whole playing-yourself-into-a-corner thing tho would be to make it so you don't lose the cape feather when you get hit like with the other powerups. like itd only go away if you die. i still wouldn't like it just on principle but atl it wouldnt break levels as easily

If someone designs a level to where they're screwed if they lose the Wall Jump Shroom it's their fault for being bad at level design, not the powerup's fault. And were you implying that Hello noting that people can just edit the engine themselves if they want wall jumping to be a core mechanic is some kind of a cop-out? I thought people WANTED people who use Hello's engines to edit them.
kaZaam
a walljump implies scenarios where you NEED it tho. a flying thing is only a crutch(now that i think abt it tho a flying powerup would totally invalidate a walljump powerup lmao its even more broken.) & like isn't the problem with the cape is that it's TOO useful? it's like the opposite of situational. and yeah i guess this point is kinda subjective but i think secret hunting (esp in a game like mario where most secrets are p unsubstantial) is just a lame use of something as cool and fundamentally game-changing as a walljump.

like why do you think it's not a powerup in the new super mario games? for all the shit those games get wrong that was like the one thing they got right lmao
kaZaam
ya you could make a level impossible to get past w/o a cape but thats like a no-brainer. the problem with this is that it's a big problem that isnt obvious
Spritanium
dood give it a rest
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
Nerd
kaZaam
idk. i needed something to care abt today
kaZaam
just let me talk abt mario on a mario forum ok