God
can we have a list of confirmed APUs that have been in use since MW 1.0?

I am aware of 13: LEDdy, Circus, [REDACTED], [REDACTED], King Ownage, [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED], CAVE BEAST, Gabe Newell, SpriteyTest, LottoBot and MetagameBot. anyone else got any to add to the list?
God
oh yeah i also forgot about [REDACTED]
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Spritanium

> Gabe Newell

> APU

[Image: gabe-steam.jpg]
[Image: supercorrect.png]
God
seem to remember an APU that went by the name parrotpoo or something like that as well
God
at one point I recall the SAE (which was going by the name The Shadow Administration at the time) having plans to introduce an APU called Transsexual Tyrone (a character in one of Teddy's more memorable strawman arguments) but the plans got shelved and it never came to fruition.

also it's worth mentioning that the current MetagameBot is actually the second MetagameBot. The original MetagameBot was an APU that was used on MW1.0 that was banned for posting an MMR back when the SA was a blacklisted organisation.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Mario
I'll go through the banlogs and post em here
Mario
HERE IT IS:

THE OLD GUARD BANLIST HISTORY

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Keep in mind a few things:

Spambots weren't always added to the log, sometimes they were though. Any thread started by Teddy was lost. Any post in threads we do have was lost. Some bans (only some) carried over from the MFGG before that so some early duping wasn't really duping at all (iirc Rhyo was on the shitlist for like 3 years because of a Permanent MFGG ban, so they actually BEAT Oracular's longest single ban record)

God
(Dec 3, 2016 at 10:04 PM)Mario Wrote: HERE IT IS:

THE OLD GUARD BANLIST HISTORY

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Keep in mind a few things:

Spambots weren't always added to the log, sometimes they were though. Any thread started by Teddy was lost. Any post in threads we do have was lost. Some bans (only some) carried over from the MFGG before that so some early duping wasn't really duping at all (iirc Rhyo was on the shitlist for like 3 years because of a Permanent MFGG ban, so they actually BEAT Oracular's longest single ban record)

really great resource - thanks for collating this
Mario
it's a shame the old guard doesn't keep track of their equivalent to the mmr, it's the longest running ranking system in minus world and mfgg's combined history. don't want to lose that
God
I wonder when Old Guard Entertainment is going to bring back the MMB (Monthly Metagame Banlog)
God
really didn't know just how many APUs members had made over the years. i knew there were others but i was way off the mark
God
(Dec 3, 2016 at 10:40 PM)SonicProject Wrote: Have there been any bans on new MW besides bots?

nah, i'm gonna try and be the first though
Two_Finger
of course you are
Mario
idk theres some good competition going for it. will be interesting to see who the first Ban is tho
God
kinda difficult to see how to get banned in the current meta without doing something that would get you banned for a very long period of time.
God
i mean right now it's even possible to just simply outright flame each other lmao
Yrrzy
last time banning was mentioned u seemed opposed to the idea of people getting banned
God
@"Yrr" iirc my general position has been that nearly all bans should be about 3 days to a week long, and the most frequent of repeat offences should be no longer than 2 weeks long for (unless their Blood Meter is at MAX, which should very rarely happen. if the poster is too OP and has maintained a MAX Blood Meter after several MMRs, and there are no other means with which to nerf the player, further methods can be considered), and that certain classes should be able to Ban/Unban people with Ultimate Spells. bans are a healthy part of the meta; they increase MMR ticket sales and are a solid way to control OP posting teks.
T-man
(Dec 4, 2016 at 12:44 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: iirc my general position has been that nearly all bans should be about 3 days to a week long, and the most frequent of repeat offences should be no longer than 2 weeks long

Is there any legitimate basis for feeling this way beyond wanting to get back to fucking with others as quickly as possible?
God
yes, there are several:

• It is incredibly easy to make APUs to circumvent long bans
  • Posters who come back after bans return Stronger and some return Saltier
  • Banning reduces forum activity
  • Every player brings something special to the forum and they should be valued and respected
  • Banning OP players prevents the playerbase from improving by not giving them a chance to adapt to the meta and find counters
  • The Old Guard has a history of making attrocious decisions with regards to who to ban
  • Preventing OP players from using their teks through different means (i.e. single-forum bans, constructive criticism) is a more effective solution
  • Banned members are unable to use their winnings from the MMR if it so happens that they place in the top 3 for that month