Poll: see title

Keep it!
33.33%
Throw it out
66.67%
Total: 12 vote(s)

Green Garrison: Keep or Put to Sleep

Draku
People don't seem to really like to use the forum and outside of some little bits of novelty it doesn't seem like it's been much of a success.

Considering getting rid of it when Season 1 starts. What does the Minus World Collective think?
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
Move the weed thread to the PPP and pitch it.

I think it's best to keep it to the essential boards and trim the fat.
Beako
(Nov 17, 2016 at 10:56 PM)Puddin Wrote: Maybe we can change Green Garrison to Ben Garrison and make it a board about drawing terrible political cartoons
T-man
(Dec 6, 2016 at 5:43 AM)SonicProject Wrote: if you had more activity it'd be a great board Shrug
That's like saying the sun were out it'd be sunny.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is it just doesn't get much activity despite attempts to garner interest.
Shroomguy
Could make it a subforum of the PPP along with the Beef Board
The Beef Baron
Fun With Despair
It's literally just the PPP except with more weed threads and a useless gimmick that effects nothing

jesus christ trash it
Yrrzy
make a new gimmick board every month instead
rtsmarty
(Dec 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM)Yrr Wrote: make a new gimmick board every month instead

isnt that what it is anyway
Yrrzy
(Dec 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM)rtsmarty Wrote:
(Dec 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM)Yrr Wrote: make a new gimmick board every month instead

isnt that what it is anyway

nah cause then we made the beef board too, which if it only lasted a month and was then replaced by another joke board, would be the better example of one
Spritanium
The GG is the gimmick board. If people don't post in the GG then I don't see why they would post in a different board using the exact same concept.

The PPP already has a gimmick of its own (randomized titles) and people know what to expect from it, so salvaging the GG concept and subsequently gutting the PPP doesn't sound like a good idea either.

Mod for a Month (or three) is a great concept and we haven't experimented with it nearly enough to just drop it. Anyone who thinks the GG isn't fulfilling its purpose, rather than campaigning for its removal, should throw themselves into the ring, become its moderator, and transform it into their ideal vision. That is the whole point of the board.

Another point: nobody had any strong feelings toward the GG until the Beef Board showed up. Now there are just too many boards in Mayhem Whereabouts - three is fine. I think we need to start looking at the GG as what it is: THE gimmick board, with a constantly-cycling concept decided by an elected user. This is a much more powerful idea than simply having the administration create a gimmick board every once in awhile.
Spritanium
(Dec 6, 2016 at 5:47 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Dec 6, 2016 at 5:43 AM)SonicProject Wrote: if you had more activity it'd be a great board Shrug
That's like saying the sun were out it'd be sunny.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is it just doesn't get much activity despite attempts to garner interest.
But what you guys are saying is "if the sun were out it'd be sunny, but it's not, so let's just live in an underground bunker until the end of time"

If we all agree the concept is great, then why would we remove the board in favor of occasional gimmick boards created with no input from the community? Why not just implement what we have more effectively rather than fall back on cheap jokes?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
"Green" isn't a theme that can sustain interest, making a new theme every month is much more likely to gain any activity cause at least then theres the potential for new thread ideas
Spritanium
FInal point for now: it's easy to look at the PPP and assume it's a gimmick board, but it's not. It's the general discussion board. We don't have a General Chat (Life Chat is different), so if the PPP is our GC, what is our PPP? What is our weird, wacky board with seemingly no reason to exist? (hint: it's the green garrison)
Spritanium
(Dec 6, 2016 at 4:06 PM)Yrr Wrote: "Green" isn't a theme that can sustain interest, making a new theme every month is much more likely to gain any activity cause at least then theres the potential for new thread ideas
I really don't think you guys get the point of the GG

The name doesn't matter, and the green doesn't mean anything apart from legitimizing the "Greenkeeper" name. We only call it the Green Garrison because it needs a "general" name for inbetween periods (maybe it should be the Gimmick Garrison instead?)

It is supposed to have a new theme every month. The only difference between this and traditional gimmick boards is that the gimmick is decided by an elected community member rather than some random admin. I can't even comprehend how the alternative could be more desirable
Yrrzy
whats the theme this month then? at least the beef board is pretty apparent about what the theme is

shit needs to be apparent or people will never click unless theres already a new thread
Spritanium
(Dec 6, 2016 at 7:06 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: It's literally just the PPP except with more weed threads and a useless gimmick that effects nothing

jesus christ trash it
This is what I don't get, how does a regular member being given the authority to change the board title, description, direction, and everything else "affect nothing"?
Spritanium
(Dec 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM)Yrr Wrote: whats the theme this month then? at least the beef board is pretty apparent about what the theme is

shit needs to be apparent or people will never click unless theres already a new thread
It's up to the Greenkeeper to make the board interesting. If it's not interesting and/or nobody knows what the monthly gimmick is, then they've failed. That's not a failure of the concept; it's one's failure to deliver what one was elected to do.

Here's what I'd do: change the default name to the Gimmick Garrison, and no matter what the title is at a given time, always preface it with "Gimmick Garrison" in smaller text. Instead of "moderated by Greenkeeper", list the name of the current Greenkeeper. WIth these changes people would always be aware of what the board is, and why it may suck sometimes if someone doesn't meet expectations. I think it's a great reminder of the role of the individual and how one person can make a difference.

EDIT: Also in the forum description include a countdown timer for the next Greenkeeper nomination
Yrrzy
cause nobody ever uses it and it just stays as "that weed board nobody posts in"
Spritanium
(Dec 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM)Yrr Wrote: cause nobody ever uses it and it just stays as "that weed board nobody posts in"
Again that's the Greenkeeper's responsibility. If the GG is a ghost town during a given length of time, it represents the Greenkeeper's failure rather than a failure of the board itself. It's up to them to make the board more enticing than the PPP. If they are unable to do so, then the next Greenkeeper needs to try something new. To say "trash the whole board" is to miss the point entirely.

EDIT: In addition to my proposed changes from the previous page, I also say we should archive all GG posts at the end of each Greenkeeper's turn (3 months), ideally giving each season its own subforum for easy access. These subforums wouldn't be accessible from the main index since they would start to pile up, but basically we could cement everyone's success/failure and use it as a point of reference later on
Fun With Despair
(Dec 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Dec 6, 2016 at 7:06 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: It's literally just the PPP except with more weed threads and a useless gimmick that effects nothing

jesus christ trash it
This is what I don't get, how does a regular member being given the authority to change the board title, description, direction, and everything else "affect nothing"?
because no matter what the mod does it's the same old "green board"

change the name to the "gimmick garrison", throw out the beef board, and make the GG shit like the beef board or the fuckin "haunted horror hotel" every month, I dunno.

also, fucking kick out a mod that does fuck all with it. let's face it, if the mod is not doing anything to keep the board fun, then the mod is doing a garbage job at the whole thing and the board will remain dead for another entire month.

you can't even argue that the current mod just "hasn't had enough time", fucking puddin invented the beef board in like eight seconds and it's already a more fun, engaging board than the green garrison

changing a title isn't hard, and if a mod can't even have the balls to give it a unique name and theme, they should be voted out of power.