T-man

Call me cynical, but I don't think anyone is ignorant to the fact that smoking is harmful to your health and that you shouldn't do it. The problem is people don't give a shit. Ads like this are cringeworthy and doesn't encourage anyone to stop smoking.

Then we have the gross out commercials,

Thanks for fucking making me sick. I came here to watch Fresh fucking Prince, not see a bitch rip her skin off. It's an overly graphic way of saying "Smokin's bad, Mmkay"

But I guess commercials like these always have to exaggerate. Like this masterpiece of hyperbole.

Yoshin
Not really an ad but look at what has to be on all packs up here:
disgusting imagery:
fucking gross shit
Pea
i havent seen any of those yoshin
Yoshin
really I see them in the Couche-Tard on my block
Yrrzy
yea being around smoke makes me ridiculously uncomfortable and physically hurts to breathe
T-man
Yeah, second hand smoke fucking sucks.
Miles
why Sick

at the very least, that gross out mess accomplishes the screwing with people part

and yeah, secondhand smoke is awful
Beako
I agree, OP.

I use tobacco, but I've been trying to quit. However, due to the fact that I am a very spiteful person, I feel it would be easier to quit using tobacco if I wasn't being harassed by everyone who finds out I use tobacco and if I wasn't bombarded with anti-smoking commercials. Here's the thing:

1. It's my fucking body. I'm well aware tobacco causes lung cancer. Thanks, every fucking person who finds out I use tobacco and is an asshole about it. My point is this: I do not personally believe other people have the right to stop me from doing whatever I want to my own body.
  2. People eating cheeseburgers and shit do not have the right to tell me to stop smoking cigarettes. Well they have the "right" to say whatever they want, but fuck off. I hate the idea that someone might cherrypick the semantics of this post instead of address the points I'm trying to make. Not that I'm anti-semantic or anything. My point is this: I believe those quickest to fault me for smoking tobacco are often ones most ashamed of their own vices.
  3. I'm a courteous tobacco smoker. I will demonstrate this in three points:
    - I don't smoke around people, so people can STFU about the possibility of second hand smoke. My point is this: As I do not smoke near other people, the premise that my tobacco use will give other people lung cancer is false.
    - I don't smoke indoors, so people can STFU about the possibility ~third hand smoke.~ My point is this: since I don't smoke indoors, the premise that my tobacco use will cause third hand smoke is false.
    - This town has really fucking strict anti-smoking laws. You're only allowed to smoke in your own yard or in your own car, and 30 feet away from other people. I follow the law. I smoke far away enough to where nobody is exposed to my smoke, yet sometimes people who are like 100 feet away fake-cough obnoxiously if they pass by my house. My point is this: if my tobacco smoke cannot reach you, and I'm following the law, your faking a cough accomplishes nothing.
I also find it hypocritical when people who spend money on needless bullshit like condoms and iWatches tell me cigarettes are a waste of money and I actually 100% unironically believe that tobacco smokers are more oppressed than homosexuals.
Beako
Re: Herp a derp Tu Quoque. Onus proband. Petitio principii. Wingardium leviosa:

Anyone can fuck off if they want to claim some of the things I said in my post above are ad homenim or anecdotes or appeals to emotion or whatever without addressing anything I said because guess what: some of the things I said in the post probably are. Think of it this way: explain why murder is wrong without appealing to emotion. Murder is evil. That reminds me, I think the idea that ~no worldview is correct and everyone has a different worldview so you must respect other worldviews~ is bullshit . By the way, "it's bullshit that no worldview is correct and it's bullshit expect one to respect other peoples' worldviews" is part of my worldview. Please respect it. Carrot Also isn't ~no worldview is correct and everyone has a different worldview so you must respect other worldviews~ an appeal to emotion? And wouldn't that make the entire premise FALSE? Whatever. I went off into a tangent. I'm probably full of shit anyway.

And isn't responding to an argument by naming a logical fallacy without demonstrating how the person is guilty of making a fallacy is itself, the Fallacy fallacy? Also, isn't it kind of shifting the burden of proof when someone else thinks you're wrong or that you're working off a false premise and you tell them they must read a book or an article to understand you? Make your own argument. I'm probably full of shit anyway and IDK who I'm yelling at preemptively since no one on Minus World has done this cringey bullshit in years but holy fuck.
T-man
[Image: anigif_enhanced-31965-1409848667-11-1452...&width=500]
Beako
(Jan 1, 2017 at 7:41 PM)Pedigree Wrote: I don't fucking care if you want to smoke yourself to death, but fuck you if you're smoking in public and subjecting me to second-hand smoke. I do NOT consent to you raping my lungs. Especially when you do it in places where large groups of people gather like at a bus stop or near a building's entrance.
(Jan 1, 2017 at 7:51 PM)T-man Wrote: Yeah, second hand smoke fucking sucks.
(Jan 1, 2017 at 8:13 PM)Miles Wrote: at the very least, that gross out mess accomplishes the screwing with people part

and yeah, secondhand smoke is awful
I agree.
Miles
(Jan 1, 2017 at 8:33 PM)Videl Wrote: I agree, OP. I smoke tobacco and I've been trying to quit. However, due to the fact that I am a very spiteful person, I feel it would be easier to quit smoking tobacco if I wasn't being harassed by everyone who finds out and bombarded with anti-smoking commercials. Here's the thing:
  • I'm a courteous smoker.
see this point here sets you apart from a fair few folks and this can be appreciated; thank you for being courteous

it's a bum bum that you apparently get very bugged by folks about the secondhand thing, though, really the only thing anyone could have on you at this point could be the smell of your clothes since that stuff does stick to you like a cloud, but even that's kinda eh unless someone gets a burning sensation from the smell itself or something and I only know of one person like that so Shrug

not that I'm saying your clothes are offensive because you smoke or something because that's dumb, but I'm sure you get me

anyway good luck quitting, hope that goes well for you
kaZaam
take it easy man. but take it.

i honestly never saw the big fuss abt secondhand smoke beyond ideology. i dont see how its hurting you more than any other kind of city air is. like if its so effective and horrible then why is literally nobody addicted to secondhand smoke? +smokers have to be courteous af anyway because of these wannabe vice cops all getting in their business over shit abt health they alr understand completely. it's nonsense
kaZaam
i think it's just a way for them to pat themselves on the back for Not Doing Thing
kaZaam
(Jan 1, 2017 at 8:56 PM)Pedigree Wrote: that escalated quickly

i think Lung Rape is where shit escalated
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Draku
(Jan 1, 2017 at 9:03 PM)Kazaam Wrote: i honestly never saw the big fuss abt secondhand smoke beyond ideology. i dont see how its hurting you more than any other kind of city air is.
What the fuck?

"Yeah this pool has some algae and a couple of other weird things in the water, that is an excuse for me to take a BIG STEAMY SHIT right in the middle of it no one else will mind"
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Beako
I agree with most of what Kazaam said but I agree with Draku's post. Bonus points for Puddin-level hyperbole comparing the entire earth's atmosphere to the size of a swimming pool.
Draku
(Jan 1, 2017 at 10:26 PM)Puddin Wrote: I agree with most of what Kazaam said but I agree with Draku's post. Bonus points for Puddin-level hyperbole comparing the entire earth's atmosphere to the size of a swimming pool.
he mentioned city air specifically, so i don't think a communal pool is that horrible of a comparison
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
kaZaam
What the fuck?

if anything one guy smoking is the algae and a couple of other weird things and the tons of exhaust pollutants pumped into the sky every day just from like one car are the BIG STEAMY SHIT. i warned you about ideology bro.
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Beako
I don't see anything wrong with ridiculous exaggerations even if it's just city air. And I feel most people can see when someone's exaggerating so I don't see the big deal. Over-exaggeration is my favorite thing in the multiverse.