[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
It'll most likely be entirely underwhelming

I'm excited to find out how badly NX has been fucked up, though

We should do an E3 Bingo with only negative/shitty things

Because MINUS world
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Stirling
i mean i'm not excited like previous years, but i still wanna see what comes, esp zelda u/nx
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Mario
[deleted]
T-man
microsoft's e3 conference is in an hour and a half, what will we see?
Mario
[deleted]
T-man
Sony's coming up in an hour and a half, can they save E3?
Two_Finger
sony was fun
[Image: GrFo47K.jpg]
kaZaam
just watched some zelda footage and it looks like its trying out a lot of new ideas (atl for zelda) which is cool but ehh seems very elder scrolls-y but with zelda items which is ok but kinda looks like it's gonna take away from the series' identity a bit. are there gonna be any dungeons in this one even?

and idk about everyone else but i'm not liking the whole 'cel-shaded but not' artstyle. ffs atl skyward sword only looked weird sometimes. like the characters are very wind wakery w more detail while the terrain looks very twilight princessy w the color saturation turned up some. doesn't look good imo but idk mayb i just have shit taste
kaZaam
the return of the zelda 1 atmospheric sense of mystery is welcome though. love that shit
kaZaam
and no minecraft 2 jfc fUCK you microsoft
Stirling
yeah m$ sux but zelda has me HYPED
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Mario
[deleted]
Mario
[deleted]
Two_Finger
(Jun 15, 2016 at 9:23 PM)wtl Wrote: but then it looks like they took a bunch of stuff from other games and threw it in there too, definitely getting mgs3 vibes from it and i guess skyrim and dark souls (never played them or know much about them but it seems that way). could be cool. but also- too fucking big???
yeah that's what they were going for. so far from what I've seen it looks like they're doing it in a decent way and one that I'll probably enjoy a bunch
some stuff reminded me of mgsv over 3 but yeah
[Image: GrFo47K.jpg]
Spritanium
So a question about vidgams, directed toward some nebulous game developer entity:

Why are there so many goddamn remakes and remasters? You made the game once before, if I want to play it again then I'll just play the one I already own. I get that you can make it "better", but I still don't give a shit, because >90% of the enjoyability of old games is due to the nostalgia factor. I play old games BECAUSE they're old and BECAUSE they look like shit and BECAUSE it reminds me of when I was a kid without a care in the world.

Take Pokemon remakes for instance: when I play GSC, or even see footage from it, I'm instantly taken back to 2001 when I got my first GBA. Because it's the same game I played back then, so it makes sense for me to have that warm fuzzy feeling. When I play HeartGold, it's more of a fun novelty for a few minutes, after which I just start asking myself why I'm playing an "updated" version of something that was so great to begin with. Those graphics and synths may be crappy by today's standards but they're constantly in my head - the real version, not the "fixed" one.

It's just...you have to look at things as products of their time. Crash Bandicoot was surely a fun game (never played) considering how many fans it has. It had acceptable graphics and gameplay which have aged as expected. There was nothing seriously wrong with it from what I've heard. It's so fucking blatant that the whole reason for remakes of games like this is to cash in on nostalgia which won't even be appropriately titillated by a game taht's not actually the game you played in the first place you fucks

I guess I have to be partially mad at the people who keep buying remakes of things they've already played? It's easier to sell somebody a product they know they like, and if you can brand it as "new and improved" you're home free. I just wish there was more effort put in. Like why not at least reimagine the game, like people do when they remake movies, instead of literally updating the models and textures, adding some extra bullshit, and calling it a day?

That's another thing, movies. People are fed up with hollywood releasing remakes of films, but remaking a film actually requires effort. You still have to start from a basically blank slate, you have to hire new actors, you have to not copy the script/setting/dialog EXACTLY. You have to try to adapt something that's become antiquated, so it fits in with more modern works. Remaking a video game involves none of this, because if it did, then they would probably just make a new fucking game

But people aren't mad about remade video games like they are about movies. They eat that shit up willingly, I mean these piles of shit must be flying off the shelves considering the rate at which they are being churned out. I really don't get it.

If you ask me, I'm p. sure there hasn't been an original video game that has actually looked interesting since 2008
Spritanium
Really loving the `[epic]` tag for rants
T-man
Well, as far as Sony goes, their remasters are likely due to the fact that they wanted to give people who jumped ship from Microsoft a chance to play the previous games in the series before they tried to sell them the new one. The PlayStation 4 does not support backwards compatibility of PlayStation 3 games due to it's radically different architecture (the very same reason the PS3 game development struggled early in it's life.) Remasters are also useful for padding out your software line-up so you don't have these awful software droughts that plagued the Wii and Wii U. Ultimately, I feel that remasters have a place in the industry.

Also, going back to play an old game you didn't play as a kid is not an endeavor most people are interested in, the biggest hurdle being the outdated graphics.

[Image: qNJiXnV.png]

Also also, in the case of Crash Bandicoot, you literally had to play the first two games with a fucking d-pad, even when a segment of the original appeared in Uncharted 4. It controls like dick. Analog stick support alone makes the remakes a worthwhile endeavor.
Spritanium
Oh they have a place for sure, it just seems like the amount of remakes vs. original games leans staggeringly one way