Games you like, Sequels you don't

T-man
Saints Row 2 is fucking sweet, it's the perfect amount of grounded and batshit crazy.

[Image: saints_row_2_44.jpg]

This game had it all. A killer soundtrack, a varied open world, expansive character customization, and the fucking edgiest, most badass cutscenes known to man.

*gotta add a disclamer, the cockney voice is the only way to experience the game, other voice options are inferior
**not that that has anything to do with the above video

Then there's um, ahem, Saints Row the Third...

[Image: large.jpg]

As you can see by this point they have embraced the absurd. Saints Row 3 sucks dick. In a sentence, it's style over substance. Everything took a hit this time around, the characters are boring, the new city is fucking boring brown buildings ad infinitum, the customization is simplified, and the cutscenes are stiff and boring. Oh, and they killed off Johnny Gat, what the fuck? It does have this going for it, it handles like a dream and has this line

I can appreciate it retrospectively now that we have Saints Row 4, while it's technically a better and more fun game it's still essentially video game fast food.
Draku
FUCK MEGAMAN BATTLE NETWORK 4

what an awful game to follow MMBN3 nearly perfecting the series' formula. like jesus christ what a mess.

>you only get like 1/3 of the game's content each playthrough because of a replay hook where what tournament scenarios you get are randomized

>DID I MENTION LIKE THE ENTIRE GAME IS A TOURNAMENT ARC? THE ENTIRE GAME. WHY?

>so many stupid annoying gimmicks, oh boy i sure do love having my controls reversed for a whole section of the game that sure is fun capcom

>the translators didn't care either. what a nice young man she was. leg's go, lan.

[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
It's not purely because of the furries, but they don't help
DrTapeworm
they absolutely DO help and you know it
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Revolver Ocelot
I agree with finding Saints' Row the Third somewhat underwhelming compared to Saints' Row 2.

Saints' Row 2 did a pretty good job ramping up. It starts out fairly grounded, a little weird, but grounded, and then you build up to owning the city and spraying shit on buildings and fighting a corporation, nicely maintaining a good contrast between where you started - practically nothing - and where you end - owning everything. As the game expands, so too does the strangeness of what's actually happening.

One of the first missions in Saints' Row the Third has you stealing missile launching attack drones from a military base, and then soon after that you literally steal a penthouse. The nothing-to-everything contrast is immediately shattered and because the whole game maintains a wacky tone, it gets boring much more quickly. When EVERYTHING'S over-the-top, over-the-top gets boring.

I wouldn't go so far as to call SR3 a bad game by any means, but SR2 is way better - I actually bothered finishing that one.

As for an original contribution? I really liked the original Epic Mickey, flawed as it was, because even though it wasn't the best it could be, it still had a lot of charm and a great story. Epic Mickey 2 was soulless garbage that completely lacked anything resembling passion or interesting conflict. "Hey maybe the Mad Doctor's a villain or maybe he's reformed except he is obviously the villain because he's the only villain left."
You're pretty good.
Vertette
Mass Effect

ME2 was mildly disappointing compared to the first. Instead of fixing what didn't work in the first one, they just removed it, and the writing took a hit. Then ME3 came out and I don't even need to elaborate, do I?
Fun With Despair
I actually really didn't like OoT as a kid. At all. Weird opinion, but even now I still don't really like it at all compared to ALttP and MM afterwards.

At first I was wowed by the graphics and everything, for all of five minutes, but I HATED it as a kid because it felt, and still feels insanely empty compared to ALttP. The overworld is as empty as can be for the most part, and a chore to navigate until the second half of the game. As opposed to the puzzle and enemy-filled overworld of ALttP, there's nothing to really do, and nothing to impede you in OoT, unless it's night and you're a kid in which case you're just SWARMED with some of the most fucking annoying enemies in the game.

Plus, the game really fucking shoehorns you into swordfighting, and I get that it might be the main point, but in the prior ones, because of how the game was laid out, you could damn well hotline miami that shit with a bow, or use the variety of magic spells and items, like the Magic Wand in the first one, or the Fire Rod in ALttP. You're forced to use your sword for almost everything in the game, which really cuts down on and hurts replayability in my eyes. I guess that's why I like the Souls games, because they remind me a lot more of the classic Zeldas.

MM fixed almost all my gripes though. Different attacks with different forms for different playstyles, a very dangerous and dungeonlike world, way better puzzles, etc. BotW looks to be another great game with options too, so I can't say Nintendo hasn't learned.

I do question why OoT is so many people's favorite, and heralded as such a great game, when even as a kid I thought it was kind of dogshit.
Mario
yeah i wasn't a big fan of saints row 3. I loved the tone of saints row 2 though, fun stuff
Mario
also fuck saints row 4. i bought it and the game consistently crashes in like the opening level so I've never actually gotten anywhere with it. blows my mind that this game even got released
Two_Finger
(Jan 13, 2017 at 10:12 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: ALttP

tbh I could never get into alttp
I don't know why when LA is my favorite zelda game
Solar Werecat
I loved Saints Row: The Third only because I played it before 2 and the only version of 2 I have is the crippled PC port. In retrospect, I probably should've just bought the latter on PS3.

If anything, the real low point of the series is Gat out of Hell. "We need something to wrap up SRIV's plot, let's release a glorified DLC campaign where vehicles are somehow even more useless than they are in IV, radio stations are completely gone, and the civilians are all generic soulless husks." One of the unique features it brought was weapons based on the seven sins (i.e., Sloth gets a Gatling gun recliner), which are fun but merely using them causes your wanted meter to rapidly increase, and every time it caps you're forced to fight a mini-boss. Thankfully I only paid $5 at launch as part of an online sale that GameStop was having.

Changing the subject, I was pretty disappointed with BioShock Infinite after I played and loved BioShock 2. A few months after beating it, I thought Burial at Sea would make up for the main campaign. It almost did. And although I played Borderlands 2 first, I later played Borderlands 1 and ended up liking the latter more.
Elyk
While I wouldn't really say I dislike Dark Souls 2, I do think the first game is better. It's really unfortunate that the port was bad while the port of 2 somehow runs well at 60fps even on weaker machines which encourages people to skip it.

Dark Souls 1 had much better world/level design (with the exception of that one area that was obviously rushed). I loved how things looped back around and reconnected but you just don't get that often in the sequel. The entire thing just kind of felt less cohesive overall. There were several things in DS2 that felt like a inferior copy of the first game too such as Sif vs the giant rodent.

I also felt that DS2 had more frustrating areas than the first game. The best way to describe it would be that the developers of the sequel looked at the praise DS1 got for being a challenging game, then thought they should make DS2 challenging as well. Except they completely misunderstood how to do difficulty well. DS1 is "hard but fair" and DS2 is "hard and unfair".
Revolver Ocelot
This was a longer post than I expected so I put it in spoiler tags, feel free to click if you want to see me complain about Xenoblade Chronicles X for a few paragraphs

Spoiler:
You're pretty good.
DrTapeworm
spongebob battle for bikini bottom was a surprisingly good game and spongebob truth or square was decidedly not. i class this thing as a sequel because same developers, and also because it reused 50% of the assets (the other 50% is reused from the movie game)
DrTapeworm
you might think that was a meme responge but i assure you i take heavy iron's spongebob games very seriously
T-man
(Jan 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM)Solar Werecat Wrote: I loved Saints Row: The Third only because I played it before 2 and the only version of 2 I have is the crippled PC port. In retrospect, I probably should've just bought the latter on PS3.
The PC port of Saints Row 2 is a travesty. You can take all the mods and hacks in the world to it and it will never feel right. It's a shame. Saints Row the Third isn't a bad game in a vacuum but it's very much a step backward. You know how halfway through the game they're like, "Whatever, just do all the side activities!" Well, in Saints Row 2 those were actual unique missions that took you all over the varied locales of Stilwater. I can name so many scenarios and it still wouldn't be anywhere close to being all there is. Setting bombs on each floor of a Ronin Hotel and skydiving from the top floor into the lobby while they explode, escaping from the police with Maero in a cavernous tourist attraction, a sword fight to the death with the Ronin boss in a burning ship, being ambushed by like a dozen monster trucks on foot, the list just keeps going and going. Saints Row the Third had it's share of over-the-top set pieces but they were much further and fewer between.
T-man
(Jan 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM)DrTapeworm Wrote: you might think that was a meme responge but i assure you i take heavy iron's spongebob games very seriously
no one can argue that battle for bikini bottom was the shit

anyone who tries to argue by virtue of it being a spongebob game obviously hasnt played it
DrTapeworm
i wish they stuck with the final boss' unused middle phase where it grows anchor arms though
Fun With Despair
(Jan 18, 2017 at 7:16 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Jan 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM)DrTapeworm Wrote: you might think that was a meme responge but i assure you i take heavy iron's spongebob games very seriously
no one can argue that battle for bikini bottom was the shit

anyone who tries to argue by virtue of it being a spongebob game obviously hasnt played it
I loved the game as a kid but fuck me, it aged very badly. I tried to stream it like a year ago and it's not unplayable, but it's really not great.

Ever go back to a collectathon like Banjo Kazooie and think the areas are way smaller than you remember?

Battle For Bikini Bottom takes this to the fucking extreme
T-man
(Jan 18, 2017 at 11:07 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: Ever go back to a collectathon like Banjo Kazooie and think the areas are way smaller than you remember?
I had this exact experience when I replayed Banjo-Kazooie earlier this year. That being said, I found it to be a positive once it was time to start playing Tooie. Banjo-Kazooie was great, everything was concise and all the interesting shit was in relatively close proximity. Banjo-Tooie on the other hand is just too fucking massive for it's own good. Levels are ginormous, getting Jiggies feels like much more of a chore because of how many require some mini-game or errand boy bullshit. You don't find very many Jiggies just hanging out at the end of platforming challenges anymore. Then there are the cross-level Jiggies, fuck these with a rake heated to 1000 degrees. It's not fun to hunt a Jiggy for 20 minutes only to run into a brick wall because it turns out you need some ability that you'll get way later. For the most part, in Banjo-Kazooie, you could complete a world without having to exit it until you're done.

I used to be much more appreciative of massive levels when I was a kid because I could make up my own "games" in my head and make use of all the space without feeling like a fucking schizophrenic dork.