Yoshin
I don't see why someone wouldn't want an avatar.
Spritanium
You can deck out your not-avatar with gear to fool your friends into thinking you have a real avatar
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:07 AM)Spritanium Wrote: You can deck out your not-avatar with gear to fool your friends into thinking you have a real avatar
tbh this is pretty funny.

however i do not understand myself, though i'm one of those idiots who wants to change their avatar and sig every 5 seconds and has to restrain himself not to
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
HylianDev
I haven't bothered yet

I have an avatar I could use, I just haven't gone to my settings yet
Yoshin
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:07 AM)Spritanium Wrote: You can deck out your not-avatar with gear to fool your friends into thinking you have a real avatar
tbh this is pretty funny.

however i do not understand myself, though i'm one of those idiots who wants to change their avatar and sig every 5 seconds and has to restrain himself not to

wait thats not a common urge
Spritanium
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM)HylianDev Wrote: I haven't bothered yet

You can get to the avatar page just by clicking your current ava in the welcome block, for future reference
Draku
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:10 AM)Spritanium Wrote:

You can get to the avatar page just by clicking your current ava in the welcome block, for future reference
HOLY FUCK TECHNOLOGY
Beako
<yoshin> behead those who use pomf
<supermario> behead those who use imgur
<yoshin> behead those who use postimg
<supermario> use gravatar i promise we won't dox you ;)
<yoshin> or leave your computer tower running 24/7 to self-host i promise it won't run up your electric bill

I don't see why someone wouldn't want an avatar either! Wow!
Draku
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:13 AM)Beako Wrote: <yoshin> behead those who use pomf
<supermario> behead those who use imgur
<yoshin> behead those who use postimg
<supermario> use gravatar i promise we won't dox you ;)
<yoshin> or leave your computer tower running 24/7 to self-host i promise it won't run up your electric bill

I don't see why someone wouldn't want an avatar either! Wow!
i really wish imgur wasn't dickers about their ToS, they're the only no-bullshit service that's reliable

tinypic is reliable but their actual site can go fuck itself, i just pull it up on my phone instead cause i dont want to even use that thing on my computer LOL
Spritanium
I was sold on pomf when I saw its great UI, no one told me it goes down constantly
Yoshin
most of the .moe fileshare sites have that ui or similar
Mario
i'm sticking with pomf.cat because it has a good ui, don't care if it goes down (its funny to see where my equipment ends up)
Draku
The issue with using sites that go down constantly is that it slows down the pageload for everyone else which fucks with a lot of MW elements that load last.
Draku
(Jan 17, 2017 at 3:12 AM)Doc Wario Wrote: maybe they don't feel like cropping shit to the small image size allowed here
MW avatar size is pretty fucking gratuitous compared to every other forum.
HylianDev
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:10 AM)Spritanium Wrote:

thanks spriteo
Beako
(Jan 17, 2017 at 1:22 AM)Draku Wrote: The issue with using sites that go down constantly is that it slows down the pageload for everyone else which fucks with a lot of MW elements that load last.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it seems as though you're implying, for example, that an Autocorrect Spell may lag in popping up if a user in the thread is hotlinking to dead resource on another domain.

If that's what's going on, that's bad news, because we can't always count on other websites being up, even reliable ones like Imgur go down once in a while. Assuming I'm correct in all this, is there a way to modify the forum code so resources from user's avatars, posts, and signatures are the very last thing to load? Or make it specifically so things hosted on https://minus.world always load first?

Aside from tinkering around with PHP/CSS/HTML for my personal website, I have zero* web development knowledge, so if what I'm proposing is technologically impossible, or how I'm describing the problem is inaccurate, that's fine.

*Although at some point I'd still like to try to follow the instructions a former tech admin sent me on testing a skin I'm trying to import by modifying the code in the browser console; I haven't forgotten about it I promise.
Draku
(Jan 17, 2017 at 5:46 AM)Beako Wrote: above post
I believe that some stuff like Autocorrect has to load last for the placement to work properly when stuff like images are in the middle of posts.
Beako
(Jan 17, 2017 at 5:47 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Jan 17, 2017 at 5:46 AM)Beako Wrote: [above post]
[reply]
What if you made it so when a user submits an image to a post or signature without specifying the dimensions, dimensions are automatically added? I don't know the technical aspects behind such a feat, but I know a board I go to that uses SMF 2.0.13 (probably with some mods) handles images that way. Because of that I know it's technologically possible to somehow pull dimensions from images that are posted and have them automatically added to a post. That way if a resource fails to load, the size of the placeholder is accurate and autocorrect won't have to suffer.

IMO it'd also be funny if we had some SVG that could show up as a placeholder broken images on MW, like-
Quote:
BROKEN
Dead
-with a black background and red X's all over the place or something.

By the way, the SMF 2.0.13 board I'm talking about is the same board I was talking about in that one thread where I proposed allowing users to post images while only specifying the width dimension, but if I'm not mistaken, someone (maybe @"Super Mario") said there was something sketchy about that.

If I'm correct about it being sketchy, is there a way to describe the sketchiness of my proposition in layman's terms?
Spritanium
That's tricky on a responsive site. I'm not sure what happens if you enter dimensions larger than the container itself.
T-man
shame them until they get avatars