Video games are art and if you disagree then you are wrong and will burn in hell dude

HylianDev
[Image: 842982636_LwDfj-2100x20000.jpg]

also the title reached the character limit exactly Ultra Cool
🍆 Lover
I wonder what I'll be calling not-art when I'm 60.
[Image: diwiue.png]

still a cuck tho
DrTapeworm
gamers, in their attempts to prove that video games are art, instead proved the exact opposite
[Image: dinogunz.png]
T-man
Gamers only wanted video games to be art so they'd stop getting picked on. Now that they're "art" all this fucking stupid social consciousness horseshit has hit the scene and honestly I'd rather be picked on.
T-man
Also pretentious cinematic movie games that forget that gameplay is literally the single most important aspect of video games.
Draku
(Jan 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM)T-man Wrote: Gamers only wanted video games to be art so they'd stop getting picked on. Now that they're "art" all this fucking stupid social consciousness horseshit has hit the scene and honestly I'd rather be picked on.
games becoming mainstream and "accepted" in the west has only meant horrible things for everyone involved

who the fuck actually got picked on back in the day for liking video games? chances are it was because you were a good bullying target and not because you liked playing maerio
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
(Jan 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Jan 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM)T-man Wrote: Gamers only wanted video games to be art so they'd stop getting picked on. Now that they're "art" all this fucking stupid social consciousness horseshit has hit the scene and honestly I'd rather be picked on.
games becoming mainstream and "accepted" in the west has only meant horrible things for everyone involved

who the fuck actually got picked on back in the day for liking video games? chances are it was because you were a good bullying target and not because you liked playing maerio
I got the shit beaten out of me because I was caught playing Pokemon Emerald in middle school. It depends on the game in question tbh but usually if you played video games you could at least find your own group of loser friends, just like with any niche hobby.
mistakes are often times considered art so yes i agree.
T-man
(Jan 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM)Draku Wrote: who the fuck actually got picked on back in the day for liking video games?
i did lmao
Draku
(Jan 27, 2017 at 2:35 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Jan 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM)Draku Wrote: who the fuck actually got picked on back in the day for liking video games?
i did lmao
i'll say it again: if they hadn't found that excuse, they would have found another

(Jan 27, 2017 at 1:12 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: I got the shit beaten out of me because I was caught playing Pokemon Emerald in middle school.
was you getting beat up something that happened more than once? i thankfully never had to deal with the more violent type of aggressors so i can't say with as much certainty on this point but all throughout elementary and middle school it was one excuse after another because i was an easy target, if that was the only time you got assaulted, perhaps your video game interest acted as a catalyst of sorts for a more extreme action, but no one gets bullied entirely because of their interest pool
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
(Jan 27, 2017 at 2:46 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Jan 27, 2017 at 2:35 AM)T-man Wrote:
i did lmao
i'll say it again: if they hadn't found that excuse, they would have found another

(Jan 27, 2017 at 1:12 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: I got the shit beaten out of me because I was caught playing Pokemon Emerald in middle school.
was you getting beat up something that happened more than once? i thankfully never had to deal with the more violent type of aggressors so i can't say with as much certainty on this point but all throughout elementary and middle school it was one excuse after another because i was an easy target, if that was the only time you got assaulted, perhaps your video game interest acted as a catalyst of sorts for a more extreme action, but no one gets bullied entirely because of their interest pool
I was beaten to fuck almost every day from grades three until six and it stopped until grade nine where i got one more beating for playing a video game.

you might be right though, I don't doubt most of it was because of personally being a bit of a loser

>when the villian has a compelling and tragic backstory but is still an asshole

[Image: ZVuNBvh.png]
Revolver Ocelot
(Jan 26, 2017 at 11:32 PM)T-man Wrote: Also pretentious cinematic movie games that forget that gameplay is literally the single most important aspect of video games.

As a refugee from a video game series infamous for its play/display ratio being totally out of whack

I agree
You're pretty good.
Vertette
I think video games can be art but it really depends. Just because they're art doesn't mean they're good games and just because they're good games doesn't mean they're art.

I really liked the game Pathologic. It has this otherworldly quality to it that's hard to put into words that makes it very memorable. It captures the feeling of being stuck in a shut off, disease ridden town really well, with its amazing, surreal atmosphere and unforgiving gameplay. But it's that unforgiving gameplay that makes it so hard to recommend to others. It's stressful, suspenseful, harsh and at the end of the day not very fun, but Pathologic is still so unique and memorable that I liked it anyway. It did what it set out to do very well, even if it's not very accessible and even if the description I just gave would turn off most potential buyers. That's why I think it's art, but if you asked me if I thought it was a good game I'd say no. It's simply not fun. It never becomes boring though.

There are also games out there that try way too hard to be art. Games like Gone Home and Dear Esther. The way I see it, if a video game doesn't need to be interactive, then don't make it a video game. Neither of these games really have to be interactive. Gone Home could have easily been translated to text, but the most notable thing it has going for it, the existence of lesbians, are pretty old hat for any other medium but video games. Because video games are so young, however, and journalists are still struggling to let their toys obtain acceptance from the mainstream, they pile up on a game like Gone Home so that they can claim that games are mature and progressive. Similarly, Dear Esther, with its nice visuals and randomly generated text, could've easily been turned into a webcomic. I actually think that'd be pretty interesting to see randomly generated text in a webcomic, it sounds like something XKCD would do. The writing would actually have to be good, though, but that's a whole other can of worms.

For a game to be art, it first has to accept the fact that it's a game, because otherwise you get all these boring games with identity issues.
Yrrzy
imo the thing Gone Home did best was the part that couldn't have been transcribed properly to text or a movie, and that was the attention to detail in the house, that you could just look through to find out more about the family and their lives

wasnt a good game but used the interactive/exploratory medium well imo
T-man
Journey is the best art game because even though it's artsy and has something to say, it doesn't forget that it is indeed a video game.
HylianDev
Every game is art and you're all going to hell

"drawings can be art but not good, drawings can be good and not art, I wish Daddy Ebert was still alive :'("
HylianDev
ITT list mediums that you think are only art when they meet arbitrary standards, despite the fact that the medium is art
Spritanium
I really don't understand when people say video games aren't art, or even that ANY video game isn't art

Is graphic design an art? Yes

Is animation an art? Yes

Is music an art? Yes

Is storytelling an art? Yes

So every video game is basically the result of a supergroup of artists doing what they do best. All these different forms of art are weaved together using programming (arguably another art form) to create an experience you control yourself. Anyone who thinks that isn't art doesn't understand what art is

Edit: Also just because you dislike something doesn't mean it isn't art. As a rule of thumb if you're ever wondering "is this art?" the answer is probably yes
Spritanium
Also I don't remember ever being picked on for playing games, and I would wear Pokemon shirts to school ffs. One of my friends and I would bring our Super Mario Advance 2 strategy guides to school every day (I'm not really sure why). I sometimes felt like I had an unconventional hobby, but then one day one of the most popular girls in class started talking to me about Super Mario Bros 2.

I guess I'm just cool Cool

But I was also super weird and annoying so idk why I never got beaten up. I guess I was just audacious enough with the weirdness to make people laugh in a not-bad way
[Image: supercorrect.png]