so have video games always been unintuitive

mit
or are people just

really unbelievably stupid (skip to 6:37)

because i feel like i definitely never changed and i still understand how to play video games and can get into new ones pretty efficiently on my own, but like what happened where people dont even know how to run through a loop in sonic the fucking hedgehog
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]
Pea
people who defend/justify the players inability to run a loop in sonic (the player must have felt like you had to hold left half way through or something) probably don't know what IGN is
rtsmarty
7:20 was more infuriating

"I know i'll just run up this wall and then jump just before i get to the top that makes complete fucking sense"
Spritanium
Games always come with tutorials now whereas older games expected you to figure shit out on your own through the level design

It's like a movie that makes you feel emotions vs a movie that just tells you which emotions you're supposed to have
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Mario
honestly yeah the mechanics in sonic are kinda unintuitive for first time players. Pretty sure I had the same issues when I first played them.

However, once you learn them you find it's definitely the best way they should work. So it's not like it should be changed or anything.

Wouldn't hurt to have some arrows or something behind the first loop/run-up-wall you encounter.

big problem with tutorials in games is they try to explain way too much stuff, the obvious stuff especially, so no one wants to bother with them
Draku
i can tell what he's trying to do because while i didn't make the same mistake, i did have the same misconception when i first played sonic advance 2 and there was a bit in the sky zone where i thought you had to swap input directions the initial time i played it because you were going the reverse direction. then i realized i was an idiot and carried on my way

most of sonic is pretty intuitive other than the spindash's existence (in another genre i'd say learning your moveset would be the initial go-to but not a platformer admittedly) but it's shocking that someone involved with the games industry wouldn't have learned about it by osmosis. back in the day you would know because people read the fucking manuals which dont really exist in the same form anymore.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
Oh that's what he's doing? I did that shit playing Sonic Heroes when I was like 10. I think by that point they just started disabling the controls while you're running through a loop Jokes
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Syaxamaphone
I get not knowing how to do it immediately but they're doing a really bad job of figuring it out.
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]