sagg
I didn't notice an ongoing thread about what movies people are watching, so why not start one? Talk about what you've recently watched and whether you enjoyed it or not, start some discussion, etc.

I recently watched Blue Valentine (2010) and enjoyed it although it did have some weaknesses. Some things about it I liked quite a bit was the transitioning between eras of a couple's life from when they meet and begin their relationship to where it ends horribly. I felt that this was a rather realistic depiction of a failed relationship in film although it can get uncomfortable for those not too keen with domestic violence. Give it a shot if you like Ryan Gosling movies or romantic dramas (as I do for both of these).
Solar Werecat
Watched Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday, was a pretty solid movie overall. Hoping that the sequel is just as good or better.
T-man
I watched Finding Dory on Netflix and it sucked fishdicks.

Everyone shows up and does their thing from the first movie and it's just really boring and lacking the soul that the first movie had.
Zae Eildus
last movie i watched was nightmare before christmas, first time seeing it and the animation and style was rather interesting, pretty good movie. Although im not the worlds biggest movie watcher so.
HylianDev
Friday the 13th part 3. Classic
Briraka
[Image: Godzilla_%282014%29_poster.jpg]

i'm kind of in the middle on this entry in the godzilla franchise. i think it's a perfectly serviceable versus movie and it's more respectful to the character than the 1998 one, but on the other hand it doesn't really live up to the hype that surrounded it when it first came out. a lot of promotional material made it out to be a return to the original gojira and critics kept making comparisons of elements between the two films, and i disagree with them because i feel like godzilla '14 is too sloppy with how it conveys it's message in order to be comparable to the original. if nature was taking it's revenge on mankind in this movie, it felt like if a wildfire was spreading and was at risk of getting out of control... and then a tornado came by and sucked up the wildfire.:V

but i still like it well enough, though. aaron-taylor johnson's character didn't really bother me and i could tolerate the teasing and still found it an effective way of building up the the final fight between godzilla and the MUTOs.
Pedigree
The problem with Godzilla '14 is that they focused too much on the humans' drama and barely had the monsters on screen.

I get it, it's expensive to show the CG monsters, but when you make a Godzilla movie you can't just pan to the aftermath and destruction all the time and expect people to be satisfied. People want to see the monsters wrecking shit and each other. They don't want to see the writers trying to force Godzilla to be a deep human drama about surviving against all odds. There's plenty of other movies for that shit.

It felt more like a generic disaster movie than a Godzilla movie.

From what I remember of the classic Japanese movies, they were delivered in a way that did not take themselves too seriously. Like it was deliberately cheesy and one dimensional and tended to focus more on the monsters, their fighting and destruction. And that was fine. There's a reason they are classics.

Hollywood should probably just give it a rest with the reboots.
Nabber
Wait, no. The original Godzilla was all about the human drama. It was about nuclear devastation, and Godzilla barely even has any screentime.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23739

If that's to be trusted, then yeah, Godzilla usually only makes brief appearances in his films. And that's fine. The problem with Godzilla '14 is that the human drama just wasn't really well-done, but the build-up to Godzilla is the best aspect of the movie, because it causes his ultimate appearance to be all that more terrifying. It's the same reason why Jaws is good, because you see the effect of the shark on the humans long before you ever see the actual shark.

Anyway, the best movies I saw last week were Swiss Army Man and The Wailing. The latter is pretty flawed, but it's still pretty terrifying and a great exercise in atmosphere.
Martin Schulz
All I remember from Godzilla 14 was I lost my shit when

Spoiler:
[Image: d2a64922eebf45c8b9c75a433ee5bc65.png]
Revolver Ocelot
Just watched Liar Liar with a friend who had never seen it.

Probably Jim Carrey at his comedy finest, damn great film
You're pretty good.
Zae Eildus
(Feb 20, 2017 at 6:26 AM)Revolver Ocelot Wrote: Just watched Liar Liar with a friend who had never seen it.

Probably Jim Carrey at his comedy finest, damn great film

Absolu-freaking-lutely. Amazing film from beginning to end, to this day i sitll dont think a single film has made me laugh near the amount ive laughed in liar liar, not to say other movies arent funny, but liar liar is just a very different kind of funny compared to a lot of others ive seen.

Also just rewatched shaun of the dead with some buddies, good as i remember, and has a perfect blend of everything needed to make a rather humorous zombie flic, while still keeping some tension to it.
Just recently finished the Suite Precure Movie, and just like Suite Precure it was mediocre.

Plan on watching some non-animu movies once im in a good spot with school because im tired of not knowing shit when ppl talk to me about movies
T-man
Just finished watching Moana, was pretty good.

It wasn't anything mind-blowing but it was a fun adventure with gorgeous animation.
NobodyHere
Just watched a movie called "Arrival" it was really good!
Oh hai thare.