nobody likes gen 4 from pokemon but why

best music, 2ND best set of legendaries, best protag designs next to 5th gen, WORST rival, some of the BEST gym leaders, THE BEST champion
DrTapeworm
its slow
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Yrrzy
everything after gen2 was trash
🍆 Lover
If you're going to be a whiner, at least whine properly. God.
[Image: diwiue.png]

still a cuck tho
T-man
It's boring and a vast majority of new Pokemon were shit.

You're right about the music being tits though. Comfy incarnate.

I could see why for D/P but Platnium? Boring? It even fixed a little bit of the pacing problems and speed of the battles.

I'm the most diehard pokemang but I see gen 4 get a lot of hate across the board which weirds me out.
edit i'm not* the most diehard pokemang. fuck pokemon past gen 5
T-man
(Feb 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM)zelma Wrote: I could see why for D/P but Platnium? Boring? It even fixed a little bit of the pacing problems and speed of the battles.

I'm the most diehard pokemang but I see gen 4 get a lot of hate across the board which weirds me out.

I often hear that Platinum was great, but as someone who thought Diamond sucked dick how was I to know Platinum was gonna be any better?
Yoshin
that's how the 3rd games worked
emerald> ruby&sapphire
crystal > gold&silver
T-man
(Feb 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM)Yoshin Wrote: that's how the 3rd games worked
emerald> ruby&sapphire
crystal > gold&silver
I've never tried any of the upgraded games because I always just bought the regular one when it came out and didn't feel like getting another Pokemon game.

Hopefully they decide to make a third version of Sun and Moon so I can break that cycle.
That's a fair point, I defintely think if you hate gen 4 you should give Platinum a shot if you haven't already. Solid all around and super comfy
Why did they stop making 3rd games anyway? X and Y desperately needed a Z, not even interested in sun/moon
Spritanium
I think the underwhelming thing about gen 4 is that it's one more generation of "evolution not revolution" than people were okay with. It really just felt like Ruby/Sapphire with fake 3D graphics. I remember the adventure being really underwhelming too, and not really caring about what happened next. I don't think I ever finished it.

I love a lot of the gen 4 pokemon designs. Probably an unpopular opinion but I don't think there's a single Pokemon that has a legitimately bad design. If you want to see some actual bad designs then search "fakemon" on deviantart. Gen 4 added evolutions for a bunch of pokemon that had been basic-only since more than a decade prior, and I love that kind of shit. Black and White was probably a better game but it felt more foreign having no ties to old Pokemon.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Feb 19, 2017 at 3:45 PM)Spritanium Wrote: It really just felt like Ruby/Sapphire with fake 3D graphics.
The fact they still used sprites pissed me off, in fact it pissed me off how many sprite-based DS games there were considering its literally the mario 64 portable device
Yoshin
3d pokemon on the ds would have been super shitty
sure there's good 3d models in ds pokemon (bianca, zekrom, etc) but they're by themselves. Actual battles would've looked way worse then the sprites.
HylianDev
Call me a Linux nerd but i much prefer Gentoo
Pedigree
(Feb 19, 2017 at 3:32 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Feb 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM)Yoshin Wrote: that's how the 3rd games worked
emerald> ruby&sapphire
crystal > gold&silver
I've never tried any of the upgraded games because I always just bought the regular one when it came out and didn't feel like getting another Pokemon game.

Hopefully they decide to make a third version of Sun and Moon so I can break that cycle.
Supposedly the third version of Sun and Moon is going to be on Switch, so there you go. Unfortunately, it's just a rumor.

4th gen Pokemon were ok I guess but it's never going to be my favorite. TBH the only gen's Pokemon that I hate more than 4's is the Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon from Gen 3. Music and mechanics are good though.
T-man
(Feb 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM)Yoshin Wrote: 3d pokemon on the ds would have been super shitty, Actual battles would've looked way worse then the sprites.

I disagree with that premise when they started tweening the sprites.

[Image: umbreon.gif~c200]
Elyk
If they couldn't get X and Y to run properly on a 3DS there's no way they could have done it on an NDS.
Spritanium
Also I don't think anyone wanted to make ~500 low-poly rigged models for all the pokemon at the time

By the time the 3DS came around they could use models with a not-shitty polygon count, so they went ahead and completed the monumental task of creating all those models knowing they'd be available to use indefinitely across all platforms

I'm pissed at a lot of NDS games for not taking advantage of NDS features (hello ML:PiT, the game where once it's almost over the developers realize there's a touch screen and you use it literally one time) but pokemon isn't really one of them
[Image: supercorrect.png]