kaZaam
so its just more retreads. ffs.

and i dont buy the stageplay thing. like yea its a motif for like two blocks in the game but its obv not a consistent theme
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium
(Jul 12, 2016 at 4:51 AM)Kazaam Wrote: whats w the random unfitting floating wood block motif too? i see it a lot in 3dland. like yea it was kinda cool and surreal in those weird bonus maps in sunshine but really just seems like a copout for actual level theming

I can't Good Sh*t this enough because it just needs to be asked more

Random floating blocks make sense in a 2D game from c. 1990 where detailed environments took a back seat to "holy shit I can play with moving pictures on my television machine"

In a 3D game we need some actual environments god damn it. Like people love to complain about how the courses in SMS are all somehow the same because they all take place in an island setting. News flash, the game takes place on a goddamn island, and how is that any worse than fucking assortments of floating colorful platforms that have absolutely no context/reason to exist???

I really don't understand why they think they can just do a straight port of the 2D Mario formula and have it magically work in 3D. Especially since in 1996-2002 they had a new formula figured out and working perfectly. I like Galaxy/2 and everything but I can only imagine how much ass they would kick if Nintendo had kept going with the 64/Sunshine concept of reasonably-sized isolated worlds that are perfectly sized for exploration without annoyance. Instead they just figured that nobody ever wants to go on an adventure ever again, never taking the time to think that maybe the reason 2D Mario games look/play like that is because of technical limitations and not because it's the fucking pinnacle of gaming excellence god damn
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
3D Land was pretty much 100% HEY

HEY GUYS

SUPER MARIO BROS 3

SUPER MARIO BROS 3 YOU LIKE THAT GAME RIGHT

SUPER

MARIO

BROS

It was fucking dog shit and made it lifeless on top of being a terribly designed game. Except a lot of the design issues were also because it was trying SO HARD to be SMB3 in 3D. World managed to make its own identity and work with it well, and they had to be less idiotic about level design as a result of not having the 3DS' stupid gimmick to fall back on to make up for making bad levels where you can't judge jumps or anything because it would be closer to dat nostalgia am i rite guys.

However Boom Boom needs to just go already.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
That's another thing Nintendo loves, bringing back a character they haven't used in years and then just pounding it into oblivion with no lube until we're all sick of something we had forgotten even existed
Draku
(Jul 12, 2016 at 8:35 AM)Spritanium Wrote: That's another thing Nintendo loves, bringing back a character they haven't used in years and then just pounding it into oblivion with no lube until we're all sick of something we had forgotten even existed
K O O P A L I N G S

Hey did you want actual characters you like in MK8? Sorry buster, we're in the middle of recycling these guys to death!
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yrrzy
i have never once enjoyed a 3d mario game

or fuckin any mario game after Yoshi's Island tbh
T-man
(Jul 12, 2016 at 5:55 AM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Jul 12, 2016 at 4:51 AM)Kazaam Wrote: whats w the random unfitting floating wood block motif too? i see it a lot in 3dland. like yea it was kinda cool and surreal in those weird bonus maps in sunshine but really just seems like a copout for actual level theming
In a 3D game we need some actual environments god damn it. Like people love to complain about how the courses in SMS are all somehow the same because they all take place in an island setting. News flash, the game takes place on a goddamn island, and how is that any worse than fucking assortments of floating colorful platforms that have absolutely no context/reason to exist???

The floating levels with zero context pisses me off too. It just makes everything seem so fake. In 64, the levels were paintings and in Galaxy you were in space where shit floats around all the time. In 3D World this is just the Mario World, this is how people live. Just these segmented blocks arranged around. It wouldn't be so bad if they took the time to design a skybox in which you can see the ground below, at least then it would help combat the feeling that you're just in this artificial void devoid of imagination. A little contextualization goes a long way.
Spritanium
Yes, that's what it is. The floating blocks are what make these games seem like engine demonstrations.

Even a blank skybox can work in an appropriate context. SM64's courses were all actually paintings, so it makes sense that a whole world wouldn't be there. The courses are supposed to feel isolated because you have to enter a goddamn magic portal to get to each one.

Even the actual "Mario world" is more detailed than floating blocks, look at Toad Town in the beginning of Galaxy. It looks like a real place where people really live. They expect me to believe that in the same world, some fucking maniac decided to just build hundreds of meaningless obstacle courses suspended in the aether? Of course they fucking didn't, which means it's just lazy level design.

The NX is going to come out, it'll probably have Xbone-level graphics if not a little worse, and I'll tell you right now how they're going to fuck up the technical excellence by making another Mario engine test. I'd love to be proven wrong but I doubt i will be.
kaZaam
i'd be genuinely excited for sunshine 2 even if it is just another kind of copout

but nint's so bad at handling mario nowadays itd prob just be another hd rerelease w bloom up the dick nobody gives a shit about cause i seriously think theyve just forgotten how to design new mario mechanics
Spritanium
My idea for a sequel was Super Mario Elements, Bowser has some weather machine that alters the climate of Delfino and/or the surrounding islands, so E. Gadd gives you the SURRG (Super Ultramodern Rapid Rinsing Gadget), an upgraded version of FLUDD that can also shoot wind, fire, or ice when you collect "element packs" or something

And like the climates could shift sometimes, so maybe one island was snowy, but now it's hot as fuck and all the snow melted to create a water level. Makes you find new ways to explore the same course and collect whatever you're collecting

Seemed like a nice way to combat the "sameness" that people don't like about the original while also expanding the idea
kaZaam
yea that sounds cool as shit but i just dont see nintendo getting that inventive rn
Spritanium
Oh absolutely not. They're gonna keep simplifying the Mario formula until it stops being a series of games and becomes one big endless SMB3 clone. With Mario Maker they don't even have to try to design levels anymore.

I'm still shocked that Luigi's Mansion 2 ever came out. Nintendo likes to just pretend that their best, most creative era never happened.
Yrrzy
delete nintendo until they start making original IPs/games again
T-man
(Jul 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM)Yrr Wrote: delete nintendo until they start making original IPs/games again
It would help if Miyamoto would stop putting his wrinkly dick in everything
kaZaam
yyyea gotta lotta respect for shigiro miyamo but mayb he needs to retire. hes getting p old anyway
T-man
(Jul 12, 2016 at 7:54 PM)Kazaam Wrote: yyyea gotta lotta respect for shigiro miyamo but mayb he needs to retire. hes getting p old anyway

It seems to be that any aged creator does more harm than good
Spritanium
(Jul 12, 2016 at 7:56 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Jul 12, 2016 at 7:54 PM)Kazaam Wrote: yyyea gotta lotta respect for shigiro miyamo but mayb he needs to retire. hes getting p old anyway

It seems to be that any aged creator does more harm than good

Yeah for sure. People change, and their visions change too
Spritanium
I mean at this point Miyamoto doesn't even understand what people like about the characters he created. He's like the Japanese George Lucas

Making a new Paper Mario, huh? Okay, just gotta make sure we have no original character designs, no humor, and no RPG elements. Because what people really like about these games is Paper. I mean it's right there in the name. In fact if you can just take Mario 3 and make it paper just do that
Yrrzy
it doesnt help that people still buy whatever shit they churn out so its not like lost sales will convince them to change
T-man
(Jul 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I mean at this point Miyamoto doesn't even understand what people like about the characters he created. He's like the Japanese George Lucas

Making a new Paper Mario, huh? Okay, just gotta make sure we have no original character designs, no humor, and no RPG elements. Because what people really like about these games is Paper. I mean it's right there in the name. In fact if you can just take Mario 3 and make it paper just do that

What upset me most about the whole Paper Mario ordeal is that the director of Color Splash said to play the Mario and Luigi games instead.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I find the Mario and Luigi games to not really be all that good. They're a bit too involved, everything is a fucking ordeal. From attacking, evading, and using specials, everything is essentially a mini game. Paper Mario is a more traditional turn-based RPG where it's more about strategization than it is slit-second button prompt minigames. Paper Mario still has elements similar to Mario and Luigi, with timed button presses amplifying the effects of attacks, but I feel they aren't as frantic or demanding. Also, if thematically Paper Mario were a story book, Mario and Luigi would be a Saturday morning cartoon. Mario and Luigi basically only has two elements in it's writing, Luigi sucks and Peach sure gets captured a lot. I just all around find M&L to be less interesting than Paper Mario.