Draku
but da casuals bought super paper mario and were mad it wasnt just another nsmb game and had a story!!! so we have to neuter paper mario for the wide appeals, hahah paper its so FUCKING FUNNY GOD DAMN IT SDFKJDSKJFSDJKF
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Jul 12, 2016 at 8:52 PM)Draku Wrote: but da casuals bought super paper mario and were mad it wasnt just another nsmb game and had a story!!! so we have to neuter paper mario for the wide appeals, hahah paper its so FUCKING FUNNY GOD DAMN IT SDFKJDSKJFSDJKF

DUDE

PAPER

LMAO
T-man
what if the paper mario was used as a blunt wrap xD
Draku
they call it color splash cause thats what u c when u get hIGHHHHHH xD
Spritanium
(Jul 12, 2016 at 8:47 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Jul 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I mean at this point Miyamoto doesn't even understand what people like about the characters he created. He's like the Japanese George Lucas

Making a new Paper Mario, huh? Okay, just gotta make sure we have no original character designs, no humor, and no RPG elements. Because what people really like about these games is Paper. I mean it's right there in the name. In fact if you can just take Mario 3 and make it paper just do that

What upset me most about the whole Paper Mario ordeal is that the director of Color Splash said to play the Mario and Luigi games instead.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I find the Mario and Luigi games to not really be all that good. They're a bit too involved, everything is a fucking ordeal. From attacking, evading, and using specials, everything is essentially a mini game. Paper Mario is a more traditional turn-based RPG where it's more about strategization than it is slit-second button prompt minigames. Paper Mario still has elements similar to Mario and Luigi, with timed button presses amplifying the effects of attacks, but I feel they aren't as frantic or demanding. Also, if thematically Paper Mario were a story book, Mario and Luigi would be a Saturday morning cartoon. Mario and Luigi basically only has two elements in it's writing, Luigi sucks and Peach sure gets captured a lot. I just all around find M&L to be less interesting than Paper Mario.

I think I like M&L better but they're very different types of games, it's ridiculous and patronizing that they would literally tell us to just play a different series
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
i prefer a buncha litl minigames to the gameplay equiv of windows explorer you get w normal rpgs
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
mit
i think by a pretty wide margin mario sunshine is my favorite mario title, though i can't deny that engine-wise it's pretty unpolished. like, for me i find it pretty easy to get "stuck" and clip through shit, though i haven't really played enough mario 64 to say if that's any worse.

despite that though i think the fact that instead of making a world for mario to be in (which i'm pretty sure they did for every subsequent 3D mario, which is why they're all Platforms In Space), they made a mario to inhabit the world they created. mario is super acrobatic and versatile in sunshine, and by comparison it always feels like he's kinda tiny. in general it feels like sunshine has an excellent sense of scale that no other game has since none of them take place in an actual locale

you can do a lot of shit not only with fludd but with mario alone in sunshine that you can't in future titles. shit like being able to do a triple jump right after you land a spin jump is really cool and i'm still pissed they took the triple jump out of 3D land/world. in general i feel the most "in control" of mario in sunshine, mostly because of how precise everything he does is.

i can kinda get why people prefer 64's sense of pure non-linearity, but i think i prefer sunshine's method of handling it. it shows you the end (if you choose to watch it), and how you get there is pretty much up to you. and it's not like there isn't other stuff to do while you do it, the blue coins are sorta there for that reason anyway. and honestly i think some of the game's shitty collision detection works in it's favor, in the sense that i wish that was explored further in future mario games by having even more options to go around things. that stupid fucking yoshi boat ride that lasts forever sucks, unless you clip through the wall and walk under the town. i wish an "easy mode skip if you're good" thing was an actual, intentional thing they added later on.

either way though i wish nintendo would just restructure or something and get it over with already. miyamoto's really only holding things back and i wish they'd stop churning out shit and equally i wish people would stop accepting it. i seriously know people who were okay with their shitty E3 event, i dunno how anyone has the patience for that.
Spritanium
(Jul 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM)mit Wrote: i think by a pretty wide margin mario sunshine is my favorite mario title, though i can't deny that engine-wise it's pretty unpolished. like, for me i find it pretty easy to get "stuck" and clip through shit, though i haven't really played enough mario 64 to say if that's any worse.

despite that though i think the fact that instead of making a world for mario to be in (which i'm pretty sure they did for every subsequent 3D mario, which is why they're all Platforms In Space), they made a mario to inhabit the world they created. mario is super acrobatic and versatile in sunshine, and by comparison it always feels like he's kinda tiny. in general it feels like sunshine has an excellent sense of scale that no other game has since none of them take place in an actual locale

you can do a lot of shit not only with fludd but with mario alone in sunshine that you can't in future titles. shit like being able to do a triple jump right after you land a spin jump is really cool and i'm still pissed they took the triple jump out of 3D land/world. in general i feel the most "in control" of mario in sunshine, mostly because of how precise everything he does is.

i can kinda get why people prefer 64's sense of pure non-linearity, but i think i prefer sunshine's method of handling it. it shows you the end (if you choose to watch it), and how you get there is pretty much up to you. and it's not like there isn't other stuff to do while you do it, the blue coins are sorta there for that reason anyway. and honestly i think some of the game's shitty collision detection works in it's favor, in the sense that i wish that was explored further in future mario games by having even more options to go around things. that stupid fucking yoshi boat ride that lasts forever sucks, unless you clip through the wall and walk under the town. i wish an "easy mode skip if you're good" thing was an actual, intentional thing they added later on.

either way though i wish nintendo would just restructure or something and get it over with already. miyamoto's really only holding things back and i wish they'd stop churning out shit and equally i wish people would stop accepting it. i seriously know people who were okay with their shitty E3 event, i dunno how anyone has the patience for that.

Great post

One of the most common complaints I hear is that Mario is too overpowered in that game, like FLUDD makes it too easy to get around, but that's just not true. The levels are designed around it so they'd be literally impossible to complete with Mario's regular moves.

God it makes me mad thinking about people's complaints about Sunshine, just because I know shit like that is partially the reason why innovation with Mario is strictly off limits now.
T-man
Fludd is basically just Kazooie

[Image: OgqbBBF.jpg]
Spritanium
Mind Blown

Literally never realized that before

If anything it should serve as a testament to why "backpack characters" are a good idea
Spritanium
Also just realized upon rereading:

(Jul 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM)mit Wrote: shit like being able to do a triple jump right after you land a spin jump is really cool

14 years, possibly my favorite game ever, and I never knew this

How many things do I not know about 3D World three years after its release? ZERO
kaZaam
yea wtf i neber figured that out either, just something you never think to do. kinda like that dropkick in 64
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
mit
yea in general i feel sunshine mario is not only the most fun mario to play as, but has the highest skill ceiling with what you can do as him. 3D world tried to bring it back with that spin jump but everything was so stilted and no triple jump means it really didn't do much of anything

sometimes i just like popping in sunshine to just... run around and do whatever. there's not a lot of games where i can willingly do that, mario's controls are just that good

i think the only major fault sunshine has are some of the missions can get really obnoxious in the way of difficulty. granted much like everything else you'll learn how to play through them eventually, but for first time players they're not the best
Spritanium
Blue coins and glitches are the only 241 problems with Sunshine
T-man
(Jul 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM)mit Wrote: yea in general i feel sunshine mario is not only the most fun mario to play as, but has the highest skill ceiling with what you can do as him. 3D world tried to bring it back with that spin jump but everything was so stilted and no triple jump means it really didn't do much of anything

sometimes i just like popping in sunshine to just... run around and do whatever. there's not a lot of games where i can willingly do that, mario's controls are just that good

i think the only major fault sunshine has are some of the missions can get really obnoxious in the way of difficulty. granted much like everything else you'll learn how to play through them eventually, but for first time players they're not the best

Seriously. Mario in Sunshine has all these moves and abilities that round out his moveset. Spin jumps, triple jumps, side jumps, sliding, etc. It lets players with more dexterity be as good as they can be. Playing 3D World is just disappointing by comparison, it adds insult to injury that the moves that were carried over from 64 and Sunshine are nerfed to uselessness, especially the side flip, like what the fuck.

If anyone hasn't seen them already, I strongly urge you to check out MatthewMatosis' video series on the 3D Mario games, they're an excellent analysis of the games.
fucker5
Backpack characters don't do anything a well designed protagonist couldn't by themself with enough justification they just make the moves more fun
mit
yea i was gonna say, fludd especially feels the most like a natural extension of mario's natural abilities. most of the flashy stuff you can do with mario alone, fludd is more of a "safety net" than anything else in most cases

the spin jump letting you fall slower is excellent for tighter platforming like the secret areas, it helps that you can buffer a spin jump as you land on top of being able to go into one in mid-air
Draku
The thing about how 3D World controls VS how, say, SM64 Mario controls, is that 3D World is a much more rigidly designed game due to it staying truer to Mario's 2D platformer roots. It doesn't need any more control options than what is available and the design wouldn't work as solidly with additional options.

Now, given a more open world like SM64's, suddenly the amount of control options is incredibly important. Hell, to this day, I haven't really seen many if any 3D platformers that give you the sheer amount of fine control to your character that SM64 does. Sunshine has some fancy shit in it but they ripped out finer options and added a couple of more flashy things to do with FLUDD instead. It's unfortunate that SM64DS neutered this so hard because the analog stick control in SM64 is the fucking tits.

Super Mario Galaxy attempts to utilize both ends of this and fails miserably at everything as a result. It's not close enough to a 2D platformer to have limited control options make the game better and they decided it was not close enough to an exploratory 3D platformer to have the options SM64 did, so instead you're super limited for no real reason plus the stages are linear as well as boring, so the game is a snoozefest as a result.
fucker5
yoshi gone mfgg is the best mari o game
T-man
haha