Pedigree
I don't expect this to happen overnight, but I would like to see Minus World expand into a streaming community and there are some things we can do to facilitate such a growth.

Streaming Forum
We could start out with a streaming forum where we simply post our streams as threads and then work on the more advanced things listed below as time becomes available to work on them! When these features are completed, the streaming forum may be closed and its threads archived.

POST STREAM
By clicking this button within a particular forum's index, you are taken to a screen similar to the "New Thread" page, but it has some additional options:
  • Date - Specify the date that you will be streaming.
  • Starting Time - Specify the beginning time that you will be streaming.
  • Ending Time - Specify the ending time for your stream.
  • Stream URL or Embed Code - Whichever way works best and is easier to develop for a wide range of streaming platforms, the member would insert whatever is needed to embed their stream in this thread.

Other options from the New Thread page would be present such as the thread subject, message box, bbcode options, thread tags, etc. Of course, you will be able to preview your post and edit these details later.

You can schedule streams in advance or post them when you're going live.

You may post streams in forums based upon what you are streaming. If you're streaming your drawings with Picarto, you will post in the Arts Board. If you're streaming video games, you'd post in the Entertainment forum. Stream threads should probably have the "stream" thread tag automatically so that they may be easily found no matter where they are posted.

Stream Thread = Stream Chat?
Stream Threads function the same as threads with members able to reply, cast spells, etc. Though, I kinda would like to see functionality in place within such threads to make replies appear automatically without refreshing the page. This would turn the thread itself into the stream chat and make it easier for members to participate without having to register to multiple streaming websites.

This could probably be further facilitated by making the replies appear in reverse. The order, not sure what it is called, would be from new replies to old replies if that makes sense. The original post containing the stream should always remain on top, however.

[INSERT NAME HERE] IS NOW STREAMING
During the scheduled time, your stream will be shown on the main forum index similarly to the random events block with a link to the resulting thread. If multiple users are streaming, the information scrolls horizontally at a reasonable pace. In addition to this, a LIVE indicator on your postbit will show in all of your posts and may be clicked to go directly to your stream thread.

NOTIFICATIONS
Similarly to subscribing to a thread, members may subscribe to a member to receive alerts and email notifications when they go live. These alerts and emails will contain a link to the stream thread. These settings may be personalized just as forum and thread subscriptions are. Further down the road, I think you should be able to subscribe to streams based on thread tags rather than members themselves, but I imagine that would be more complicated.

MODERATOR OPTIONS
Consideration to moderation options should probably be made. For instance, perhaps an inactive or rule-breaking stream may be removed from the ticker by closing the associated thread. Problematic streamers could also be stripped of their privileges if necessary. By inactive, I mean a stream that is scheduled but does not actually go live.

STREAMER BENEFITS
On top of receiving Good Sh*ts, perhaps streamers should earn amounts of EX based on their time streaming. In addition, maybe badges, equipment and items can be awarded to streamers based upon their time investment and Good Sh*t rankings. If a streamer is determined to be inactive or rule-breaking, perhaps a moderator may revoke any ex earned.

Additional ideas and feedback are welcome. I will be placing more of my own ideas as I come up with them as well.
Pedigree
Feedback Received from Pea in Discord Wrote:Pea - Today at 10:04 PM
stream thread = stream chat is a bad idea

PedigreeTheHusky - Today at 10:05 PM
why's that

Pea - Today at 10:05 PM
clunky way of interaction between the streamer and the viewer

PedigreeTheHusky - Today at 10:05 PM
how is it clunky

Pea - Today at 10:06 PM
chat is username and message

PedigreeTheHusky - Today at 10:06 PM
if thread replies appear automatically without refreshing with new replies first, imo it beats having to register for multiple sites to participate in chat

Pea - Today at 10:06 PM
having spells and other functions is unnecessary
cause ultimately it's about the stream, not the chat

PedigreeTheHusky - Today at 10:07 PM
Spells and other functions aren't needed and may be disabled afaik through the forum software, so if it would be best to proceed without those functions for the stream thread idea to work without being clunky then I'm happy to welcome that change(edited)

Pea - Today at 10:08 PM
post tables are too big too
if a chat were to have more than like 5 messages per minute it can get really hard to follow

PedigreeTheHusky - Today at 10:09 PM
Do you think if the postbit, avatars and sigs were disabled that it would be fine?

Pea - Today at 10:09 PM
youd need to create a whole new posting box thats just like a chatbox
at that point you could make it a spell thing but this in return creates this awkward interaction where new viewers outside the community wouldn't understand what's going on
there's too much to consider for something in which the goal is to avoid signing up for a website to talk to the streamer
and don't forget, streaming is for streaming, not the chat

PedigreeTheHusky - Today at 10:11 PM
the problem isn't signing up for one website it's that there's way too many options for people to stream from imo
you've made a fair enough point

Thread Tags

streaming