T-man
[Image: pc7bj2r.jpg]

[Image: buc56TM.jpg]

[Image: 5CJrAsg.jpg]

[Image: UT0h5RZ.jpg]

[Image: nMeBcNW.png]

what's even real anymore
Pedigree
when we are arguing about the gender of a fictional cartoon cat, I think we've lost our way as a species and need a fucking reboot
Nabber
real question is why people don't realize that bb8 is a girl
sealelement
(Mar 3, 2017 at 6:56 AM)Nabber Wrote: real question is why people don't realize that bb8 is a girl

i know this is a sarcastic reply but i actually kind of like this one
100% pure gamer 100%
HylianDev
Holy shit guys, Garfield is a male
sealelement
i actually looked it up and the main guy who was 'pushing this' is very clearly just having a goof (fwiw i think its funny too)

but yknow, whatever gets your rocks off, i guess
100% pure gamer 100%
Briraka
(Mar 3, 2017 at 2:42 AM)T-man Wrote: [Image: 5CJrAsg.jpg]

> "garfield has no gender."

> still uses male pronounsWow! It's Fucking Nothing!

T-man
Quote:“Garfield is male,” Davis told The News via his publicist. “He has a girlfriend, Arlene.”
why is jim davis such a heteronormative piece of shit
kaZaam
wait is that statement supposed to make sense
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Spritanium

> male

> female

> none

> implying those are the only fuckingkng options Mad

[Image: supercorrect.png]
Nabber
(Mar 3, 2017 at 5:55 PM)sealelement Wrote:
(Mar 3, 2017 at 6:56 AM)Nabber Wrote: real question is why people don't realize that bb8 is a girl

i know this is a sarcastic reply but i actually kind of like this one
i wasn't being sarcastic, there was a huge debate over this when the movie came out and i wholly support bb8 being female

but officially he's male, oh well
Spritanium
I always hate when character creators say "oh my character doesn't have a gender"

What a cop out. Whether your character is female, male, or some other wacky thing you want to invent, you can't just say they're genderless to avoid controversy. It'd be like if during the black Hermione controversy JK Rowling was all "well see she actually doesn't have a race"

I mean if the character isn't organic or being genderless is actually a relevant character detail, that's fine; it just annoys me when people try to retcon a clearly-gendered character in the interest of appearing progressive. It's not sexist for Garfield to be male, which he clearly is judging by the deep voice he's given in every single animated adaptation (and the fact that no female in history has been named Garfield, human or otherwise). If you think Garfield should be female, or "none", great. Make your own cat comics, no need to complicate other peoples' lives by politicizing a classic cartoon that is already ingrained in our culture.

I don't remember who the creator of Garfield is and I'm not sure if he's weighed in on this, but I remember a similar thing happening with Spongebob; Stephen Hillenburg was always asked whether Spongebob was gay, so he eventually settled on something like "Spongebob doesn't have a sexuality" (even though in the earlier episodes he showed romantic interest in Sandy, going so far as to risk his life to impress her). You don't have to come up with some bullshit answer to try and please everybody. Honestly the appropriate answer would be "who the fuck cares, go get some friends and stop worrying about cartoon sex"
Spritanium
(Mar 3, 2017 at 8:42 PM)T-man Wrote:
Quote:“Garfield is male,” Davis told The News via his publicist. “He has a girlfriend, Arlene.”
why is jim davis such a heteronormative piece of shit

> garfield is male

> AND he isn't gay

brb killing myself
Briraka
(Mar 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't remember who the creator of Garfield is and I'm not sure if he's weighed in on this, but I remember a similar thing happening with Spongebob; Stephen Hillenburg was always asked whether Spongebob was gay, so he eventually settled on something like "Spongebob doesn't have a sexuality" (even though in the earlier episodes he showed romantic interest in Sandy, going so far as to risk his life to impress her).

... huh. i never interpreted anything that spongebob did in those episodes to be romantically motivated. even in the "ripped pants" one, it felt more like he was acting like a child who was desperate for his friend's attention rather than being frightened over getting cucked by larry the fucking lobster.

also, who needs a partner when you can reproduce by budding?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmZMoGDEnET8QhBeIE6S2...a35gkErWnx]
Spritanium
I was thinking more of the time he exposed himself to dry air for an extended period of time just to look cool. He even learned the fancy way to hold a glass so he'd impress his date. He was never head over heels but I'd say he definitely had a crush
Briraka
yeah, i was thinking about that one as well, along with the other earlier episodes that featured both characters interacting.

idk, i feel like this could go either way. i can see how someone could find romantic undertones, but at the same time i personally find it stretching that just because a male is trying to impress a female means that it's automatically done for the sake of romance. so i guess it wouldn't really bother me too much if hillenburg says that spongebob was asexual.
Spritanium
Saying he's asexual would be a little different from just refusing to classify him as any sexuality. What I find annoying is questions like this being entertained at all when the answers are always non-committal
Briraka
ah, i think i get what you're saying here. instead of having a characters characteristics be axiomatic, things like race, sexuality, gender identity and the like are left up in the air so that the internet can verbally murder itself over these things. :V
Spritanium
It's kinda hard to explain, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather this question just not be asked in the first place, because it doesn't matter. If a character's gender/sexuality is actually relevant to the way they behave, then it'll be known intuitively and we won't have to ask. If it's a mystery (i.e. there's nothing in the actual cartoon to work off of when answering) then people should just shut up about it, because cartoon characters aren't as nuanced as actual human beings and you don't even need to think about their gender/sexuality 99% of the time.

I don't really think the Spongebob example is relevant anymore, sorry about that. I was drawing false comparisons; in that situation the creator gave pretty much the exact answer I'd hope for (just phrased more nicely)
Spritanium
I think the real question is why is garfield orange like donald trump

jim davis confirmed for republican shill