T-man
(Mar 24, 2017 at 5:30 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: the climax of the book is him meeting some brown people at the beach and """accidentally""" shooting them because he was tired and the sun was in his eyes
wtf lmao
Aidan
"Disoriented and on the edge of heatstroke, Meursault shoots when the Arab flashes his knife at him. It is a fatal shot, but Meursault shoots the man four more times. He does not divulge to the reader any specific reason for his crime or what he feels, other than being bothered by the heat and intensely bright sunlight.
[...]
"Later, on his own, Meursault tells the reader that he simply was never able to feel any remorse or personal emotions for any of his actions in life.
[...]
"He expresses anger about others, saying that they have no right to judge him for his actions or for who he is, that no one has the right to judge another. Meursault grasps the universe's indifference towards humankind[.]"
im bad at explaining probably. basically it's a book about how we're all mortal anyway and any ideas of good or bad we have amount to nothing in the long run
Aidan
(Mar 24, 2017 at 5:56 AM)Puddin Pop Wrote:
(Mar 24, 2017 at 5:07 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: i also hate the idea that i'm not allowed to say a word which is why i sing along to DMX songs

This is what I was talking about with the basic bitch "if black people can say nigger than why can't I?" My motivations are entirely different.

the more i think about this the less it makes sense
what's the difference
Aidan
i see now why it was having difficulty understanding
Just felt like addressing my thoughts on some posts. The overall discussion I'm a little confused on but let's get it

Quote:who's allowed to say nig?
The truth is nobody. Nobody SHOULD be allowed to say it, not even black people but we decided to take back the word, make it cool and naturally(as the cycle goes) other people wanted in on it and now it's become this thing. I can say rap music is primarily to blame more than anything, especially now, to my generation and younger, the word literally just means friend(it's kind of like what happened to the word gay). For whites it just kind of sucks for you guys, you gotta risk it. The nice thing to do would be of course ask a black friend of yours if he/she is cool with it and if they are; dope. If not; respect that and don't say it, at least not around them, because let's face it, no matter what context they mean it in people still use it; especially whites.

If you have the time look up a dude named NAV who's an up and coming rapper. Coming out of toronto and mostly putting his shit out thru soundcloud nobody knew what he looked like but his music was dope, and of coursed he dropped the n-bomb sometimes. Turns out he's a indian dude; and now there's a whole lot of controversy surrounding it which kind of roots back to this question in a way but dealing with other minorities

. I personally hate when white people use it, I don't say it around them so I expect the same back but I don't really give a fuck if a Hispanic person for example says because on a society scale level; we're pretty much on the same level. Shit; Hispanics might have it worse rn. Idek if you were being serious, you probably weren't but given the subject matter I am so there's your answer from your friendly neighborhood blk guy
Quote:Rap music promoting drugs and bling is the white man's way of keeping black people down.

I unironically believe this. I listen to underground rap music sometimes and they actually talk about current events, oppression dynamics, and politics.

And Zelma I don't know if you saw my point about just flat out disregarding the feelings of others but I really, really, do. If I have white privilege then why is it in my best interest to give it up? Empathy? Please.
Depends on what underground rap you listen to. It's not just underground guys though; you want some woke people J. Cole, Kendrick, Joey Badass, Gambino to an extent and even Chance are all socially conscious and discuss things pertaining to racial relations and dynamics

I'm not really for bashing Rap music as a whole because it seems hypocritical, especially when they're rocks groups out here discussing the same things. Just in a different way and add to the fact that there are so many, it's easy to overlook.

Anyway, I saw your point and correct me if I'm wrong but essentially because you disregard the feelings of others you use a word rooted in a hate and if our conversation yesterday is anything to go by you don't really care about the social consequences as long as someone isn't telling you what to do? For the record, I came to an understanding on Mason's train of thought but never flat out agreed on his views and to be honest; I'd much rather him have the view of "I use it because i hate niggers, zelma. Fuck off" and that could've been that.

I don't really know what to say to that then because that sounds like a whole other issue that you need to figure out. Disregarding the feelings of others to the point where you don't care what you say could not only hurt others feelings but could also get you fucked up which I think I told you. Then again that would also explain why when I had difficulties turning on my mic you proceeded to try to explain how to do it in a stereotypical black tone, disregarding my feelings.

Luckily I'm a tough internet boy. Idk what i'm arguing in this thread; just wanted to express my thoughts
Stop editing your posts so I can give a good response
Quote:I can observe that but I can never truly understand it since I'm not black.[/quote[
Okay. This is very important. I want to come back to this but first

[quote]You're capitulating. Stand your ground.
I'm standing my ground. I say it around my friends. You'll never hear me personally say it around a white person and rarely my gf who is also white but it's a part of me; my ancestors were called it, my ancestors called each other it so if I'm at a bbq chilling with my family you best believe I'm throwing some n bombs around. If my white friend wants in on this, you better get approval from every motherfucker at that bbq otherwise just chill out.

Quote:Being poor and neurodivergent already gives me a lower chance at succeeding in life than middle class or rich neurotypicals; therefore, I'm going to latch onto whatever benefits from being white I can. I understand that neurodivergents of color are at a disadvantage compared me, but they're really none of my concern until I can get my own financial situation and mental faculties in order. If I have white privilege (not that you've personally said this or implied this, necessarily) then why is it in my best interest to give it up? Empathy? Please.

Then what exactly are you arguing with me for?

What are you trying to understand?

Let me paint the picture for you at least from what I know

Hispanic with a College Degree
African American with a college degree + work experience

And all the way to the right off the motherfucking monitor is a white person with a high school diploma. Now, before anybody gets uncomfortable(and people will when discussing this sort of thing) I'm not racist. I don't hate white people at all but I recognize what it is. You being poor and white is your own fault and literally has nothing to do with you saying nigga or not or your views on it. What I'm mostly telling you is this; "Even you, financial situation and all, are viewed as more valuable than majority of minorities"

I've seen it happen. Everyone has but we never talk about it. Ever.

So In closing. Yes let's discuss. Yes, let's try to understand each other. Yes, let's try to better our lives and other peoples lives by not being ignorant, being aware of other peoples feelings and treating each other as human beings because no matter what kind of fucked up system society has in place; that's one thing that's mutual. But when it comes to some real racial shit; there's some things you will never/or will have a hard time understanding. Why?
Quote: since I'm not black.
Just read your other post and I'm quite positive I have no idea what we're talking about. You being poor and white is your issue. I get it, it sucks. Saying nigga whenever you feel like won't change that. Anything after that idk because I've lost what we were even trying to do going back and forth
Anyway; good talk. If anyone disagrees; quote me or something. I don't wanna play the victim card so call me on it if it seems like I am or if i'm not making any sense.
Like I said in the convo yesterday, as long as I know you're being genuine and not trolling, I'm down to discuss and trying to understand why you feel the way you feel even if I absolutely don't agree(or understand) most of your views. No hard feelings either way.
Fun With Despair
I feel weird as shit hearing these conversations because I live in Canada where people are legitimately required to hire immigrants, refugees, and minorities over white people to the point where every single job application online asks you basically if you're white, so I don't see half the "white privilege" that people in the US do.

Feels like the other way around honestly most of the time, at least in education and employment.

But I do like to read over these and listen to the perspectives of others in different locations though, so it's nice to see people actually having mature conversations for once.
Draku
(Mar 24, 2017 at 7:36 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: I feel weird as shit hearing these conversations because I live in Canada where people are legitimately required to hire immigrants, refugees, and minorities over white people to the point where every single job application online asks you basically if you're white, so I don't see half the "white privilege" that people in the US do.

Feels like the other way around honestly most of the time, at least in education and employment.

But I do like to read over these and listen to the perspectives of others in different locations though, so it's nice to see people actually having mature conversations for once.
It's like that in an increasing number of locations in the US as well, though it's more of an "invisible" mandate. College entry bars are lower and if two people have similar resumes the minority will be picked for the sake of it rather than anything else. I'm not necessarily complaining about it, I think it's a scummy thing to do no matter who the target would be.

Now, as far as the general economical situation goes, that's different.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
i also feel weird saying "people of color" still

how is that less racist than "colored people"? what's wrong with calling someone black or asian or hispanic or whatever? white people are just called white people, so why the fuck is every single person of every other race lumped into some big group?
Draku
(Mar 24, 2017 at 7:50 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: i also feel weird saying "people of color" still

how is that less racist than "colored people"? what's wrong with calling someone black or asian or hispanic or whatever? white people are just called white people, so why the fuck is every single person of every other race lumped into some big group?
People who say it are trying to not be offensive and walk on eggshells but wind up being infinitely more offensive and thus instead are steamrolling said eggshells.

It's quite funny tbh.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
(Mar 24, 2017 at 7:54 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Mar 24, 2017 at 7:50 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: i also feel weird saying "people of color" still

People who say it are trying to not be offensive and walk on eggshells but wind up being infinitely more offensive and thus instead steamrolling said eggshells.

It's quite funny tbh.
What's even more hilarious is that the vast majority of people these days seem to just love the sound of cracking eggshells and keep laying them out in front of the steamroller as it moves ever forward

I don't care if it's considered politically correct, calling everyone who isn't white a "person of color" is fuckin racist and it really is funny that people advocating for this term have looped their own cause back the fucking 50's with their terminology
T-man
Yeah I don't get the whole people of color thing. It's a flowery version of colored people.

It's like someone taking exception to being called a buttfucker but being cool with fucker of butts.

But if they're cool with it more power to them.
T-man
I think all it is is that it does sound nice. I was just joking around but honestly fucker of butts is a title I wouldn't mind.

Hark! Sir T-man, fucker of butts approacheth.
Fun With Despair
(Mar 24, 2017 at 8:12 AM)T-man Wrote: I think all it is is that it does sound nice. I was just joking around but honestly fucker of butts is a title I wouldn't mind.

Hark! Sir T-man, fucker of butts approacheth.
if you ever get on the podcast again I can arrange this
T-man
It was me.
iPhone.