Class Update Megathread [Version 1.0 Public Alpha]

Fun With Despair
Hello and welcome to the first official Minus World Podcast Class Update Discussion Thread! The class system is something that started discussion way back, but it was all tailored to Season One mechanics, and certain features, spells, hell the entire current EX and Rally systems weren't even close to being fully realized, so here we go, but first, a brief explanation of some potential upcoming mechanics that will probably get implemented with this update:

One of the major changes these reflect is the removal of the knockback mechanic. This has been discussed a bit in the past, and has always been a bit of a sore spot as a fear is that it will bankrupt the EX market. Fortunately, most Classes have a unique, special way of earning EX beyond just baiting spells. Or if that's your game, there are roles for that too! There's even one that uses Rally as an alternate resource if they really need it too!

By diversifying how people use the site and interact with others, hopefully we can have a more interesting and diverse metagame, and help the site greatly in the long run. So I'm done fuckin around here with your time, here's what we have so far in Version 1.0:

---

Cleric
Description: The Cleric is a helpful class dedicated to posting Good Sh*t and supporting other posters with Sweet Spells and EX to keep them moving forward.

Perks: + 2x multiplier on EX received from Good Sh*ts
+ 20% cost reduction on Sweet Spells (Excluding Frame That Sh*t)
+50% knockback on received Sweet Spells
+ Can pay 200 EX when casting a Sweet Spell to negate a Salty Spell on the same post

Drawbacks: - Cannot cast Salty Spells.
-Pepperoni Spells cost 50% more EX

Before the wrestling terms were ditched, this class was the Face class, and basically existed as a "good guy" class. The concept was honestly rather dull and a clone of the "bad guy" class in every way with spell types flipped. But should a "good guy" not also help others? That's where the Cleric comes in. Instead of just hoarding EX from receiving Sweet Spells, the Cleric is much more of an active class. With the upcoming removal of universal knockback, the Cleric plays much like you used to be able to, as well as greatly benefit from casting due to lower spell costs, helping out other members, and making great posts. This great array of advantages comes at a hefty price though, as Pepperoni spells have their cost amped up, and you outright can't sling Salty Spells anymore.

Hotshot
Description: The Hotshot lives to antagonize others into giving a reaction, even going as far as slinging salty spells and shitposts left and right to grab the spotlight from other posters.

Perks: + 20% Salty Spell price decrease
+ 2x multiplier on EX received from reactions.
+75% knockback on all Salty Spells cast on you

Drawbacks: - 1.5x cost increase on Sweet Spells
- No Rally gained from Sweet Spells

Similar to Cleric, their counterpart the Hotshot used to be known as the Heel, back in the days of old. A lot less has changed about this one, but the removal of universal knockback allowed me to buff the innate knockback of this class and give it a much more niche role, to substitute for the diminished overall EX gain of the class. The Hotshot can still cast Sweet Spells, unlike the Cleric with Salty, but they also lack a lot of the tools that Cleric has as a support class. Hotshot is perfect for those posters who invoke constant reactions, whether intentional or not.

Nomad
Description: Nomads don't show up often, but when they do, they gain massive amounts of EX in quick bursts.

Perks: + 2x EX from posts and threads made
+ 2x EX from reactions, replies, quotes, and Good Sh*ts while logged in only
+ 25 EX gift upon logging in (Once per day, Rally not applied)

Drawbacks: - Rally is capped at x3.0
- Lose 25 EX for each 30 mins of logged-in time

There's always that one poster that everyone wonders "the fuck did he go?" Well, that poster would be perfect as a Nomad . Nomads are the types of guys who pop in, make a cool post or thread, then leave. They lose EX at a rapid rate the longer they stay logged in, but it's a game of risk and reward. They may lose some, but with a quality post on an active day, the Nomad will be absolutely loaded with EX. Life as a Nomad is a risky gamble, but with a free daily EX gift regardless just for wandering in here, what could possibly go wrong?

Lurker
Description: Lurkers don't like to post so much as to silently observe. They have never had much influence - until now.

Perks: + Gain 1 EX when you leave a reaction on someone's post
+ Gain 3 EX when you leave a Good Sh*t
+ Gain 1 EX for each thread you view (no daily repeats). Maximum 100 EX per day
+ 50% cost decrease on all Spells except Frame That Sh*t!

Drawbacks: - 25 EX from posting
- Reactions to posts older than 1 month do not give EX

Here's lookin' at you, Xgoff. No, really though. If you're the type to pull an Xgoff and lurk around, leaving Good Sh*ts, reactions, and spells on posts, this is the class for you. Some people just don't like to post, and we get that. This role likely won't be too popular thanks to the hefty fine on posting, but think of all the EX you'll get if you do show your face after lurking so long? That, combined with the free EX you get for doing the lurking itself, and Lurker starts to seem like an enticing, if passive, role.

Bard
Description: Bards are not only interested in helping themselves gain EX, but others as well through the use and manipulation of Rally.

Perks: +Can go up to x6.00 Rally
+ Rally granted for casting Spells applies to the affected target as well
+ 1.5x Rally Gain
+ Can spend Rally as a spell resource, with one point of Rally equaling 200x that amount. The maximum you can spend is x5.00 for a Frame That Sh*t. Rally Spells do not award Rally to you, but do to your target and you cannot go below x1.00

Drawbacks: - Can only find and use cosmetic items
- Loses Rally 1.5x faster
- 50% cost increase on Salty Spells (Does not apply to Rally Spells)
- 25% cost increase on Pepperoni Spells (Does not apply to Rally Spells)

I've been referring to the Bard as the "Rallymancer" for a while mentally, as that's essentially what they are. Not only does the Bard manipulate and share Rally, but they can also use it as a resource to cast spells with, offering a very unique playstyle and set of options to the Bard player. Out of EX? Well, why not part with some of your Rally to cast that special, urgent spell? With the increased Rally gains on Bard, maintaining high Rally is easy, but for a good Bard, it acts as much more of a resource than just a mere multiplier. Coupled with the more rapid decay, it's apparently that Rally serves a bit of a different purpose than it does on most classes.

Alchemist
Description: Alchemists are unpredictable and rely heavily on item usage, using their EX recklessly to make the most of their items rather than spells.

Perks: + Unique ability to combine two items to get a new random one
+ Can spend EX to not consume an item on use, cost depends on item
+ 10x chance to get items via random events
+ 10x Minus Ball droprates in threads with a Spell cast on your post
+ Item softcap increased to 10 from 3

Drawbacks: - Can only cast one spell per week
- Rally locked to 1.00x

What's that? You're tired of the spell game? Want to sit, craft, sell items, and live a life of peace? Well step right up friend, here's the class for you! Alchemist distances itself from the Rally and Spell based metagame for a more peaceful and crafty role. With amazingly enhanced item droprates, the ability to combine two items for a potentially rarer one, and a waaaay bigger inventory, you'll be a successful businessman in no time! So get crafting, and get into that trading thread. Capitalism, ho!

Wizard
Description: Wizards are all about using Spells to their fullest, making sure that they grace threads all over, lest they lose their casting ability.

Perks: + 50% cost reduction on Spells
+ Gains full Knockback EXP equal to how much it cost the caster
+ Can spend 2x Spell cost to have it Splash, making it affect the posts above and below the intended one (Does not apply to Frame That Sh*t!)
+ No daily spell limit

Drawbacks: - 50% decrease in Rally gain
-Rally can go below x1.00, to a minimum of x0.33
- Spell price with increase by increments of 50% for every day a Spell is not cast to a maximum of 200%

The Wizard isn't just a bad movie. It's also the dedicated spell caster class. Receiving a whopping 100% knockback for every spell cast on them, a gigantic 50% decrease on spell costs, and the ability to spread spells around like a madman, the Wizard is not to be trifled with, and entire threads could bow to their magical whim. However the path of the mage is not for the faint of heart, and these powers come at a dire price. Your Rally CAN decline, as too will your mood as days pass without exercising your magical powers, leaving you powerless, weak, and paying twice as much for a spell.

Summoner
Description: Summoners prefer to play around their own dupe accounts to gain EX and interact with the community.

Perks: +2x Good Sh*t EX from posts made with Dupe accounts
+3x Reaction EX from posts made with Dupe accounts
+Can cast spells on posts made by Dupes or your Parent Account for 1.5x the price. Does not include Frame That Sh*t!

Drawbacks: -2 EX per Parent Account post.
-Dupes get no EX per post

The Summoner is for those of you who love to play around with the Dupe system. While the system is relatively new, we've seen some real power plays by members taking full advantage of Dupes. Players who choose the Summoner will get to take advantage of that even more, and directly benefit from hilarious posts with stupid ass Dupe accounts. However, don't expect to be able to succeed by just replying to yourself a bunch. Posts with your parent account are much less influential now that you LOSE EX per parent account post, and your Dupes themselves won't benefit at all from post spamming.

Paladin
Description: Paladins are proud but stone-faced defenders who can shield themselves and others from Salty Spells while taking action against those who seek to spread heresy.

Perks: +Paladins can cast a "Bulwark" on a post made by them or another poster for 300 EX. All Salty Spells directed at this post are negated and half the cost goes to the Paladin
+50% EX cost decrease on Salty Spells when cast on a user who has hit your Bulwark in the last 24 hours
+2x Good Sh*t multiplier on the Bulwark revenge spell

Drawbacks: -Cannot cast Bulwark on a Hotshot or Wizard
-Cannot receive or give reactions
-50% cost decrease on all Salty Spells directed at the Paladin

One of the later classes I came up with, Paladin fills the unique role of a defensive class in this primarily offense-based game. The Paladin's job is to protect the innocent from salt coming their way, relying upon a unique variant of the Spell Trap item in spell form to farm EX by protecting others. The cost is rather high, but throw it on a high-risk post and you'll definitely make that cost back, just enough to punish the wrongdoer afterwards. Unfortunately their stoic nature means that the art of reactions is lost on them, and their overly-just nature makes them a target for scumbags and prevents them from defending the more sketchy users on the site.

---

And that's the Class Update Version 1.0 Public Alpha. With the extremely diverse amount of playstyles and roles spread throughout this little update here, and I'm hoping that everyone can find one that's right for them and how they use the site. That's not the entire point of this thread though, because I'd like to hear from you guys about how I could improve this so far, balancing concerns, class suggestions, and more.
Two_Finger
tl;dr
Pedigree
[Image: The%20Looney%20Tunes%20show%20episode%2051.png]

"I like it."
Yoshin
who /nomad/ here
Draku
While I'm sure we'll run into some balancing issues one way or the other when they're properly implemented, this seems like a fantastic writeup to go by for when they get implemented. Loving Bard, the interesting use of Rally's creative and makes for a lot of potential.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Aidan
Cleric
this class looks like it would recieve way less EX than others, and it's locked out of certain spell types. 2x EX for good sh*ts isn't a strong buff.

Hotshot
perf

Nomad
- Lose 25 EX for each 30 mins of logged-in time
why would you charge ppl for posting on an already inactive forum lol

Lurker
same as above, but charge to post

Bard
also perf

Alchemist
good sh*t. i wonder about restricting spell casts but it's prob okay. 1 is a good compromise. depends on what the Mix command can make.

Wizard
good sh*t

Summoner
probably good? might be a little weak also since there's relatively few ways to gain EX and you can lose it. hard to say

Paladin
perf

rally isn't a mechanic a lot of classes play with and imo that would be more interesting to gain/lose than EX. nomads could gain rally every day they aren't on and have it reset (to less than 1?) when they do log on. summoners could gain no rally themselves but gain it quickly from dupes. etc.
losing EX can be rough, especially if it makes people level down/get too low to cast certain spells. losing rally doesn't immediately take features away or directly punish you so i'd considerate it a better way to punish OOC/reward playing to your class
Fun With Despair
taking all suggestions into consideration, will post patch notes eventually when I get around to it

thanks for the suggestions there, BM
Aidan
one thing i should've said is we should be looking to make all classes capable of the same EX/day when played to their max potential
Draku
(Mar 27, 2017 at 3:50 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: Cleric
this class looks like it would recieve way less EX than others, and it's locked out of certain spell types. 2x EX for good sh*ts isn't a strong buff.
Sweet Spells are very common and retaining Knockback on those is a good source of income. 2x EX for Good Sh*ts is a LOT larger than you think it is, with the modifiers from Great Sh*t/Perfect Sh*t, Give a Sh*t, etc
Fun With Despair
(Mar 27, 2017 at 3:56 AM)Draku Wrote:
(Mar 27, 2017 at 3:50 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: Cleric
Sweet Spells are very common and retaining Knockback on those is a good source of income. 2x EX for Good Sh*ts is a LOT larger than you think it is, with the modifiers from Great Sh*t/Perfect Sh*t, Give a Sh*t, etc
yeah this is kind of my thought behind it too. With a Give A Sh*t on, the innate x2, and Perfect Sh*t you're making like 80 fucking EX per Sh*t.

if anything cleric could be the strongest one
Fun With Despair
Oh and for those wondering about Alchemist's Mix, I imagine it could make literally ANY item, including even event items you can't get anymore and maybe even some exclusives to motivate people into playing the class
Draku
Yeah Alchemist would definitely need some unique items only it could create to be worth it. Ideas are appreciated.
Agastya
paladin sounds fucking rad
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Spritanium
@ "why would we charge people for posting"

Nobody would pick either Nomad or Lurker if they weren't already going to use the forum a particular way

People who don't visit very often (Nomad) or people who visit often but don't make posts (Lurker) need ways to make EX too, which is where the class system comes in. We have to have disadvantages for people who choose either of these classes and decide not to play by their own rules.

For instance, someone who is actually a lurker won't be heavily disadvantaged by losing 25EX for each post. If a Lurker notices they're posting too often and losing EX because of it, it's not because there's something wrong with the class; they just picked the wrong one for their playstyle.

With stuff like this I'd like if we could keep an open mind and really think about how disadvantages can make our game more challenging, and thus more entertaining.

I really like this list, I think it's just about perfect
Spritanium
Also, are we doing the thing where you can switch classes anytime, but you have to reset your EX? This makes more sense to me than having a time-based thing
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Elyk
(Mar 27, 2017 at 3:43 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also, are we doing the thing where you can switch classes anytime, but you have to reset your EX? This makes more sense to me than having a time-based thing
Ah okay, I was wondering about this. The next question I would have is are people able to see what class you are and if so how is that displayed? I'm kind of expecting people to purposely not place reactions on hot shot posts, stuff like that.
Spritanium
We were initially planning on replacing member bars with class bars, but that's not ideal. I'm pretty sure we settled on just having a small icon for each class that can be placed to the left of your username
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Mar 27, 2017 at 3:43 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also, are we doing the thing where you can switch classes anytime, but you have to reset your EX? This makes more sense to me than having a time-based thing
We can only do this if we finally kill donations to every non-NPC, otherwise time locked is the only way.
Pedigree
Classes should only be changed at the beginning of a new season, and it would have to reset your EX.
Pedigree
PS, Cleric's gonna need more sweet spells available with the whole Salty category disabled for them. TBH only 3 sweet spells is a bit low on sweets count anyways.