Being Anti-Consumer* When You're the Market Leader

T-man
What's up with this?

The Xbox 360 kicked the shit out of the PS3 so bad that Microsoft did whatever stupid shit they wanted. TV, Movies, DRM, anything but video games. This fumble allowed Sony to gain a major foothold in the market and eventually because the leader with the PS4. Back before the PS4 released Sony was doing all sorts of ball sucking to try and court the hardcore video game audience to their fancy new machine, but now that they're the market leader they've stagnated. Now Microsoft is doing all this cool shit out of desperation like cross network play, backwards compatibility, bringing Xbox games to W10 and now self-service refunds similar to Steam. With the imminent release of the Scorpio Microsoft could be poised to reclaim it's crown because Sony doesn't make an extra effort anymore.

Why do we have to have this tug of war? Why can't you do continue to do good things without having to get your greedy ass spanked first? The obvious answer is that they don't need to try when they're on top, but that attitude always leads to the inevitable fall.

*I suppose more accurately, "not as pro-consumer as you could be"
Kabuto
I think it's because innovation is no longer rewarded with games, and I don't mean Nintendo 'innovation', I mean features that should be intuitive that aren't necessarily yet. When consoles made the leap to including netflix/youtube/other streaming it was a huge boon because it wrangled in an entire new consumer base, i mean, I use my ps4 as a netflix machine almost more than I use it for games. But like you said, when you're at the top there's no reason to compete.
[Image: Bandit_-_russian_dancing.gif]
Draku
ps3 beat the 360 in the long game funnily enough

anyways you only do that sort of thing when you need to, if you're already winning you're going to stay ahead, especially when it comes to consoles. if everyone already has a ps4 theyre gonna buy games for their ps4 not suddenly pick up an xbone.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Two_Finger
thing I read a long time ago so it was the first link on google
Pea
the scorpio is a joke
Pib
at least i have nintendo to take perfectly good franchises and neuter them
this post brought to you by pib
Spritanium
Innovation costs money and corporations always prefer to stagnate progress so they can continue using outdated methodology

It's like a pissing contest where everyone has an inflamed prostate
[Image: supercorrect.png]