T-man
And anyone who feels the need to defend this glossy hunk of shit.

[Image: 1200px-Wii_U_Console_and_Gamepad.png]

Now that the Switch is out and is actually a really good system can we stop pretending that the Wii U is anything other than hot garbage? It's premise of providing asynchronous gaming experiences never became anything substantial and dual screen gameplay is kind of fucking obnoxious when the screens aren't close together. It's one standout feature, Off-TV Play, is completely crippled by the fact you can't take 10 steps away from the console without losing connection.

[Image: wiiu-gamepad-connectionerror.jpg]

Now, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend the Wii U didn't have some fucking incredible games, but when I'm enjoying the games in spite of the console itself something has gone incredibly wrong. What really gets under my skin is when I see people online attempting to steer people away from getting a Switch because the Wii U already exists and BotW and Mario Kart are already on it. Fuck you, that's borderline malicious.

The Nintendo Switch is everything the Wii U wasn't, with a core concept is incredibly versatile and immediately understood. The Switch doesn't aim to change how we play games for the sake of being different, everything the Switch does serves tried-and-true screen and controller gameplay. You can take the system anywhere and still have immediate access to the complex experiences we come to expect from full-fledged console games, not to mention you'll always have access to a second controller for spontaneous multiplayer.

I suppose there's no real point in harping on about this because the market made itself quite clear, I just wanted shoot some fish in a barrel while I wait for MK8D to drop on the eShop.
Draku
off-screen play was pretty awesome considering i hate playing games on console and much prefer a portable experience even at home

but the switch does the wiiu's best idea 10000x better so...
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Apr 28, 2017 at 2:35 AM)Draku Wrote: off-screen play was pretty awesome considering i hate playing games on console and much prefer a portable experience even at home

but the switch does the wiiu's best idea 10000x better so...

Yeah, I loved Off-Screen Play. But I could never venture out of the room in which the Wii U was located without losing signal, so that really clipped it's wings. If the Wii U was half-baked conceptually, the Switch is full-baked with frosting.
Draku
that's odd, my wiiu was in my room yet it worked throughout the entire house (through walls and floors) flawlessly

granted my house isn't exactly huge but a wall or two didn't stop it.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Pedigree
Wii U had games I liked so I can't hate on it too much now that it's gone.

I might miss games that let you use the gamepad instead of split screen and using touch screen while playing on TV but the games that used those features were rare anyways (rip DS virtual console tho)
Dude
nobody even attempted to use it to its full potential...
Shroomguy
To me it still feels like a new console.
The Beef Baron
T-man
(Apr 28, 2017 at 5:49 AM)Dude Wrote: nobody even attempted to use it to its full potential...

Miyamoto tried his fucking hardest with Star Fox Zero and a lot of people had trouble getting a hang of the controls.

I feel like trying to, ahem, "innovate" the way we play games is ultimately pointless unless you plan on setting a new standard. You should innovate the games themselves.
Aidan
wonderful 101 was the only game that actually used the touch pad in innovative ways
Yoshin
I say its pretty nice from a modding regard, since all you gotta do is open the web browser
Spritanium
Hey now, my Wii u isn't a glossy piece of shit

It's actually caked in dust due to nogames
Spritanium
Joking aside the Wii U makes me feel guilty, since my mom bought it for me as a birthday present a few years ago, but I haven't derived a fraction of the joy from it as I have from the original Wii (which chugged along as a Homebrew emulator until its final breath)

Sorry Nintendo ruined my childhood mom

Nintendo Land is pretty fun tho
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Nabber
i for one have been entirely underwhelmed by the wii u's library of games, which all seem to be "slightly better versions of past games"
Nabber
then again the wii u had miiverse so i guess it's an objectively better console /s
T-man
(Apr 28, 2017 at 11:11 PM)Nabber Wrote: i for one have been entirely underwhelmed by the wii u's library of games, which all seem to be "slightly better versions of past games"
Have you met post-GameCube Nintendo?
Nabber
up until super Mario galaxy 2 they were fine
Demonlemon
I mean it played breath of wild just fine so I have no complaints
If life gives you lemons... RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!
[Image: nYwGTpS.png] [Image: 3fIS5XJ.gif]
Reference Humanoid reference Photobucket has sold out, so just take my word
on it that I have every pic anyone ever made for me, lovingly saved on 3 separate
harddrives
T-man
(Apr 29, 2017 at 12:13 AM)Demonlemon Wrote: I mean it played breath of wild just fine so I have no complaints

>buying games for a depreciated console when the new one kicks the shit out of it

[Image: 1244734352954.jpg~c200]
Pedigree
actually it's more like

>waiting to not buy console on day one because manufacturing defects are common and there were no other games for it

[Image: smart-person.jpg]

meanwhile i have lucked out and have none of the issues and have enjoyed the system and its games immensely :D
T-man
I don't see how waiting to buy a console is any more or less reasonable than getting it at launch, especially when you know you're gonna want it eventually. You're just giving yourself more shit to buy at once, and worse, you'll have missed online discussions.