Kabuto
i bought one of the green GBA SP's at an anime convention recently because it was a great price and i dug out superstar saga cuz it's still one of the best rpgs overall and definitely the best in the mario and luigi series

i really wish they hadn't fucked up the art style in recent installments
[Image: Bandit_-_russian_dancing.gif]
Draku
it baffles me that the first game is so much better than everything that followed

like i replay it every couple of years and its SO FUCKING GOOD every single time. but going back to any of the others is just... ugh
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
It's funny how none of these games have approached the quality of the first one. They're all great, but there's just some charm missing. I actually think PiT (the one everyone hates) would be my second favorite just because they didn't screw with the formula too much. Dream Team was enjoyable but I never finished it, and I literally can't even remember if I bought Paper Jam.

What bugs me about the newer ones is that everything is 3D now except the actual characters, which might be cool, except they're clearly trying to make the sprites look 3D. I really don't understand why they don't just use actual 3D models, or go back to the black outlines.
Spritanium
Oh man remember that decade-long stretch of time where MLSS was like, the de-facto spriting style?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Kabuto
it's one of the best sprite styles so i get why

and i'd agree actually PiT is the closest to MLSS in tone, art and gameplay
Kabuto
bowsers inside story was cool too because it hadn't departed as much as the more recent titles so it was fresh but still familiar
Spritanium
Yeah BiS was great, it was just missing a lot of the "Mario and Luigi having a big adventure" impact. I remember the sidescrolling areas becoming really repetitive
Draku
(May 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM)Spritanium Wrote: What bugs me about the newer ones is that everything is 3D now except the actual characters, which might be cool, except they're clearly trying to make the sprites look 3D. I really don't understand why they don't just use actual 3D models, or go back to the black outlines.
[Image: dOjZBVu.jpg]

It's a fucking world of difference.
T-man
Wow, that does look way better!
fucker5
(May 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM)Spritanium Wrote: It's funny how none of these games have approached the quality of the first one. They're all great, but there's just some charm missing.
buh buh bros attacks instead of bros items

i still think bis was an excellent game. 7.5/10 at the highest but i really enjoyed it for whatever reason. the first is best though obviously
fucker5
nintendo games are going the way of "wasting people's time on flashy bullshit = fun" for some reason. m&l games have bros items, kirby games have WHOOPS I'M GONNA HIDE IN THE BACKGROUND FOR 30 SECONDS LOL
geno7
am i the only one who really digs the art style of dream team? the game itself i could never get that far into because it just felt so... wordy and lifeless (but maybe thats just because i dont have the attention span for video games that i used to) but i thought the sprite style was really cool because it kinda reminds me of super mario rpg and that whole era in the 90s where everyone was doing pre rendered sprites because they thought pre-rendered sprites looked super hi tech. like it feels like a throwback to that era
[Image: fsMwICg.gif]
CHESHIRE ☯
Love me some Superstar Saga. Still need to play "Bowser's Inside Story", though.
Draku

>when the remake looks worse than the original

embarrassing
Draku
(Jun 13, 2017 at 7:57 PM)Draku Wrote: >when the remake looks worse than the original
embarrassing
[Image: nTfrVBe.jpg]
Mario
it really does highlight how much the art style has changed for the worse for the series
Syaxamaphone
What an ugly game. I'm sick of M+L RPGs so I'm going to completely bypass this one.

How can Odyssey be so weird and fun and this be so straight-cut and boring? Someone down at Nintendo HQ needs a firm talking to.
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
Poxni
The remake still looks nice on its own but I'd forgotten just how good the original style was when you put the two side-by-side, jeez
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
Spritanium
Wow I didn't even hear about a remake. The visuals are definitely worse but depending on what else is added I might pick it up
Kabuto
i want the bowsers minions concept but without the fugly ass art style