Why do Apple emojis look like they were designed by a novice Photoshop user

Spritanium
The world wants to know
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
I dunno, but they're easily my least favorite emoji style.

It's probably the over reliance on gradients that dates them horribly and make them feel like an amateur effort.

[Image: mobile.png]

I like Android's blobmojis a lot better, they're much more charming and don't look like they were dipped in plastic.

[Image: old.0.jpg]

Having said that,

LOL

Is a contribution of immeasurable worth and we would be lost as a society without it.
Spritanium
Android emojis are my favorite too, but I feel like if I could use MW emojis everywhere I would. They're a little bigger and we pack a ton of emotion into them
Kabuto
as soon as they made the gun a water gun, i lost it
[Image: Bandit_-_russian_dancing.gif]
Spritanium
Thinking about it more I think there are two main problems with Apple's emojis:

1. The effects don't even make logical sense. For instance all the facial features are beveled into the yellow orb. Why?! This leads me to point 2...

2. These emojis are skeuomorphs for objects that *don't even exist*. If you're not aware, skeuomorphism is meant to cause users to draw parallels between a real object and a digital representation by making the digital version appear real. For instance, the Notepad icon looking like an actual pad of paper. Apple seems to be suggesting that face emojis are actual plastic objects with beveled facial features, when in reality they're just abstractions of emotional states
Yoshin
this biggest issue is with the apple emoji that show teeth
[Image: grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes.png]
like what is that supposed to be? Biting your teeth while passing a big log?
Android emojis are super kawaii jk tier but the eggplant on apple looks better 🍆
T-man
(May 9, 2017 at 8:17 PM)zelma Wrote: Android emojis are super kawaii jk tier but the eggplant on apple looks better 🍆

Because it looks like a peepee, right?

🍑🥛🍆
Spritanium
(May 9, 2017 at 8:17 PM)zelma Wrote: Android emojis are super kawaii jk tier but the eggplant on apple looks better 🍆
Jesus fucking Christ, I wondered for years why this was supposed to be a penis, just looked up the apple one and sure enough massive purple erection
T-man
(May 9, 2017 at 10:00 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
Jesus fucking Christ, I wondered for years why this was supposed to be a penis, just looked up the apple one and sure enough massive purple erection

Yeah that's basically it's only use.
Yoshin
aside from minus worlds set, facebook's is my favourite
[Image: 2OIhKNh.png]
Elyk
yeah I actually really like MW's
Spritanium
Oh yeah the fb ones are nice, there are a bunch missing though
rtsmarty
facebook's look like a modern take on the apple designs but what's up with the one that looks like it's licking its nose Seriously?

o3o and o3n are pretty bad too
Draku
Always really hated the shitty shiny/reflective aesthetic so many things use. Flat colors are infinitely more appealing.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(May 10, 2017 at 10:05 PM)Draku Wrote: Always really hated the shitty shiny/reflective aesthetic so many things use. Flat colors are infinitely more appealing.
Yeah, Apple emojis look exactly like my art looked when I discovered how to use gradients in Flash.

[Image: New_iMac.png]
Mario
the worst part about iOS emoji is that these are the updated ones. the original were pretty bad but they Updated them to be even worse somehow. how did they fuck that up???

the android blob ones are great
Pedigree
is it bad that the only emoji I can stand to look at are MW's?