Which Mario RPG has the best battle theme?

T-man
Which Mario RPG do you think has the best battle music? Considering this is what you'll be hearing for the vast majority of enemy encounters it is imperative for this shit to be as lit as possible. You know what? Despite being relatively mediocre game when compared to other Mario RPGs, I've gotta say Dream Team's dream battle music is the best. Whenever I listen to this my blood starts to pump and my balls start to swell.

It starts out really strong, but once it gets to the 53 second mark, it's no fucking contest. Was this ever used as trailer music? Because it's hype as fucking hell.

As for second place, I've gotta give it to Paper Mario despite the Thousand Year Door being my favorite in the series.

POST YOUR FAVORITES MW
No time for links but

The boss battle themes for Paper Mario 1&2 are both excellent
Kabuto
superstar saga for me, for sure. It's just such an important part of my growing up.
[Image: Bandit_-_russian_dancing.gif]
Superchao
either superstar saga or ttyd

i have them memorized at this point

bowser's inside story bowser music is third for me
Aidan

superstar saga for sure
hype as fuck, gets me ready to kick some ass, doesn't get boring throughout the whole game
Pedigree
The Fawful final boss theme in M&LBIS is Just Right
Elyk
Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga

I was way underlevel for most of the game and the music really helped to make the 20 minute fights palatable.
Poxni
dream team had real good music all around
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
Spritanium
I don't like how synthesized the newer M&L battle themes sound

Obviously it was always synth music but the original one just sounded "video gamey", not like it belonged in Sonic Colors
[Image: supercorrect.png]
brainwyrms
Fun fact! The composer for the Mario & Luigi series, Yoko Shimomura, is also the composer for the Kingdom Hearts series. The similarities become much more apparent in later entries.
I think Paper Mario: TTYD has my favorite battle theme out of any Mario RPG, with Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga at close 2nd. The whole soundtrack to TTYD has this really synth feel that isn't ever quite replicated in future installments, since now they prefer the jazz-band aesthetic with Sticker Star and Color Splash.
[Image: B3S9ub9.png]
T-man
(May 18, 2017 at 6:14 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I don't like how synthesized the newer M&L battle themes sound

Obviously it was always synth music but the original one just sounded "video gamey", not like it belonged in Sonic Colors
This is a fair criticism. I think the synthesized stuff is great to listen to on YouTube, but the more video gamey stuff is harder to appreciate without the context of the game.

[Image: PXlM91v.gif]

It really sets the tone.
Elyk
yeah all the characters are animated to move to the music it's great
Spritanium
Yeah I think MLSS probably has the best battle theme of all time. It's the one that always comes to my mind when I think of the phrase "battle theme"
kaZaam
superstar saga's got like the most infectious bassline ever this isn't up for debate
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
T-man
Partners in Time was the first Mario and Luigi game I played, I'm hard pressed to remember anything about it beyond the fucking damage sponge bosses. I honestly can't believe it's standard battle music is as awful as it is, I guess there's a reason I completely forgot what it sounded like.

It sounds stressful, something more befitting a mini-boss in a tense scenario. Definitely not something to groove to for a garden-variety enemy.
Fun With Despair
on one hand, PiT has that pile of shit

On the other hand, it has this absolute masterpiece, which stands out as one of the most memorable and fucking good final boss themes in Nintendo's entire history.

I will forever argue with anyone who says that the third game has the best final boss song
Spritanium
WOW I never noticed how bad that normal battle theme is while playing the actual game

The refrain is kind of nice, but the main part of the song just isn't fun to listen to
CHESHIRE ☯
I love Yoko's skill as a composer, and I couldn't be more excited to see her in action in June. However, I'm not really a fan of any of the battle music in the early generations. Even Legend of the Seven Stars only gets me for nostalgia value I think. Yoko excels with more melodic pieces and strong movements indicative of Tango and Electronic Symphony.

Shame, considering most of the rest of the music in all of the RPG games is wonderful, and a couple have even become staples in her legacy.

This one's my favorite, though. I enjoy it and it isn't as frantic as the rest, it's something I can follow and enjoy a bit more.

Spritanium
That theme always sounded more like a tutorial battle, or a timed challenge/race or something

It's a little too happy to properly represent a conundrum

Definitely better than the PiT one though