T-man
I see this topic come up every so often on other forums and it seems to be an incredibly polarizing issue. There are some who swear up and down that human relationships were never meant to be monogamous and there are others who are content with one partner or feel that they are too jealous for an open relationship to work. Personally, I think open relationships are hogwash. That isn't to say that there aren't open relationships that are perfectly functional, it just seems to me that in a typical heterosexual relationship the scales are completely unbalanced.

The sales pitch for an open relationship is that both partners have equal opportunity to tame some strange. While this is technically true in a vacuum, in reality it's complete and utter horse shit. This is due entirely to inequity in the dating market, and that's something I don't think many women understand or even think about. I'd wager that more often than not one partner is going to be pulling more tail than the other, and this will no doubt be a source of resentment lest you have emotions of steel or no emotions at all. Unless you're exceptionally attractive, courting someone when you're a man is work, it's an uphill battle. In an age where people are trying their fucking hardest to do away with gender norms, one gender norm has conveniently gone unaddressed. That is the expectation of men to be the initiators. Putting yourself out there like that requires either a lot of courage or complete indifference to rejection. On the other hand, waiting for dick to come to you (which, let's be real, is what happens) is about as courageous as being a baited mouse trap. Dick is a buyer's market.

I'm interested in hearing the perspective of those of a different sexual orientation. I assume homosexuals that are in an open relationship are on much more equal footing, at least before physical attractiveness comes into play.

What does Minus World think about open relationships? Would you ever be in one? Have you ever been in one? How did it go?
Yoshin
The way I view it is the same way I view long distance, both parties gotta be commited and open. If the effort is put in, it will work.
Of course like long distance not all couples are able to pull it off.
my 2 cents
Fun With Despair
(May 16, 2017 at 12:12 AM)T-man Wrote: The sales pitch for an open relationship is that both partners have equal opportunity to tame some strange. While this is technically true in a vacuum, in reality it's complete and utter horse shit. This is due entirely to inequity in the dating market, and that's something I don't think many women understand or even think about. I'd wager that more often than not one partner is going to be pulling more tail than the other, and this will no doubt be a source of resentment lest you have emotions of steel or no emotions at all. Unless you're exceptionally attractive, courting someone when you're a man is work, it's an uphill battle. In an age where people are trying their fucking hardest to do away with gender norms, one gender norm has conveniently gone unaddressed. That is the expectation of men to be the initiators. Putting yourself out there like that requires either a lot of courage or complete indifference to rejection. On the other hand, waiting for dick to come to you (which, let's be real, is what happens) is about as courageous as being a baited mouse trap. Dick is a buyer's market.

This has cemented you as like my favorite member, good shit.

I'll chime in a LOT more on this topic in a couple hours because I am busy but for now I want to say that homosexual open relationships are literally the only type I have ever seen work, and I think there's a definite reason as to why that is.
Pedigree

>implying homosexuals are less prone to rejection

KEK
Draku
(May 16, 2017 at 1:43 AM)Pedigree Wrote: >implying homosexuals are less prone to rejection

KEK
way to miss what FWD was talking about, which is that both parties will obviously be on equal footing as a result of both being the same gender
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
fucker5
i consider myself pretty monogamous but i wouldnt mind doing an open relationship if the other person was bi and we agree to only hook up with people of the sex the other one of us isnt. that way we got more sexual bases covered and become stronger
Pedigree
I didn't even read Chode With Despair's post.
Draku
(May 16, 2017 at 1:48 AM)Pedigree Wrote: I didn't even read Chode With Despair's post.
actually t-man said the exact same thing with the same wording i used even and i forgot about it before i even posted LOL

idk how it's not clear, please think about this for a second
Mario
any kind of non-monogamous relationship is difficult cuz you're told your whole life even from a young age that Monogamy is the Only way to go or the Ideal so you have to rethink a lot of things and it's just not an easy thing. Non-exclusively heterosexual relationships definitely have a bit of advantage here because you've already been forced to rethink how relationships work in at least one way already. If it's just something like 'hey i wanna try this and see where it goes' i dont see it working out too great, there's gotta be some dedication. With that dedication I think there's a big reward though- you can work out a relationship Style that is more catered to how you work. But then again if Monogamy already mostly works for you it may not be worth the work.

not aimed at anyone in this thread (i dont think anyone is remotely close to this kind of attitude) but I always get really annoyed at the people who are like I TRIED THIS AND IT JUST DOESNT WORK IT DOESNT WORK FOR ANYONE like get over yourself you're not the world. ran into a lot of people like that in clown college
Aidan
tfw when you suggested to ban sp way before he deserved it

staff edit: in the interest of this running joke not getting out of hand, probably best not to bring it up past this point. any previous mentions of it including this post are fine because of sp's previous being okay with it and no indication otherwise.
Pedigree
(May 16, 2017 at 2:01 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: tfw when you suggested to ban sp way before he deserved it

Okay you know what? Fuck this shit.

This isn't funny anymore.
Mario
(May 16, 2017 at 2:01 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: tfw when you suggested to ban sp way before he deserved it

(May 16, 2017 at 2:02 AM)Pedigree Wrote:

Okay you know what? Fuck this shit.

This isn't funny anymore.

It was never a joke
Pedigree
I'm so fucking sorry for you cis straight males who can't find a way to start on equal footing with women, but for the record being homosexual doesn't mean you're fucking equal and there is a HUGE risk of rejection and a lot of effort you have to put into an open relationship to make it work even if you are gay. Not to mention the HUGE risk of coming onto a straight man and being pummeled and dealing with a lot of bullshit from bigoted assholes.
Pedigree
It fucking burns me up to see any straight male complain about women problems and comment that it must be so easy to be gay. If you're the same gender you've got a lot more in common by default??? No, fuck that.
Draku
(May 16, 2017 at 2:09 AM)Pedigree Wrote: I'm so fucking sorry for you cis straight males who can't find a way to start on equal footing with women, but for the record being homosexual doesn't mean you're fucking equal and there is a HUGE risk of rejection and a lot of effort you have to put into an open relationship to make it work even if you are gay. Not to mention the HUGE risk of coming onto a straight man and being pummeled and dealing with a lot of bullshit from bigoted assholes.
think about this again for a second.

both of the people in the open relationship are homosexual. thus they are the same gender and have the same limitations of being homosexual.

also, because the thread was mildly derailed by it, see above staff edit on bm's post about the "ban SP" stuff.
Aidan
sp as a straight dude who's been in fucked up relationships i can explain this if you'd like, contact me through pm for more info
(May 16, 2017 at 2:09 AM)Pedigree Wrote: I'm so fucking sorry for you cis straight males who can't find a way to start on equal footing with women, but for the record being homosexual doesn't mean you're fucking equal and there is a HUGE risk of rejection and a lot of effort you have to put into an open relationship to make it work even if you are gay. Not to mention the HUGE risk of coming onto a straight man and being pummeled and dealing with a lot of bullshit from bigoted assholes.
1. Coming on to someone as a gay man when you don't know if they're gay or straight is your own risk and not a very good one.
2. A lot of bullshit from bigoted assholes i wont argue with, but with the recent push for acceptance of the lgbt community I imagine its way better than say 5/10 years ago.
3. Finally, nobody is saying you don't go through things as a gay male. The main point is it's easier because you're both males.
Pedigree
Essentially my point is you need to put in the effort to make an open relationship work. You can't just expect it to be a free fucking pass on getting all the pussy you could ever want. You need to have a mutual understanding with your partner and always work out a compromise. Being gay doesn't magically make this sort of relationship work and I have struggled with the complications associated with such a relationship plenty.
Pedigree
You do realize that both being males is its own complication, right? There are struggles with how you fit into a relationship role, and there's shit like being jealous that the other will only top or bottom for other guys, etc. It's a lot more complicated than you guys seem to make it: "Gays have it easy because they're both the same gender"