Nintendo Announces Switch Online Pricing, 2018 Launch

T-man
[Image: VeUX4eu.png]

Full site here

A free, limited version of the smartphone app is launching in summer 2017, when the full service was initially supposed to go live.

They also mention a monthly classic game selection but since only NES games are mentioned it's hard to even consider that a plus.

[Image: DBR86U9WsAAl0kf.jpg:large]

Paying for console online sucks donkey dick, but for 20 bucks a year I can't bitch as much about this.
Draku

>$20 for a year

>The online classic games last as long as you're subscribed instead of the other dumb idea where they rotated out

This really doesn't seem so bad.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Jun 2, 2017 at 2:18 AM)Draku Wrote: >$20 for a year

>The online classic games last as long as you're subscribed instead of the other dumb idea where they rotated out

This really doesn't seem so bad.
Oh, word?

[Image: DBR86U9WsAAl0kf.jpg:large]

Damn, okay that's more like it.
Spritanium
$20 a year is reasonable as long as it doesn't suck

But is this going to be a real, fully interconnected online ecosystem like they said the Wii U would have?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Jun 2, 2017 at 2:50 AM)Spritanium Wrote: $20 a year is reasonable as long as it doesn't suck

But is this going to be a real, fully interconnected online ecosystem like they said the Wii U would have?
No.

It's on your phone.

Nintendo is doing literally everything in their power to not have a proper equivalent to PSN or XBL, they don't seem to realize that they're gonna fucking need it eventually and each gen they put off doing it right is more catch-up they have to play when they stop delaying the inevitable.

Nintendo always seems to take a few steps forward, a few steps to right, and stumbles back a bit.
Pea
$20 a year for the games would have been the perfect deal, the online thing is somewhat bitter but now that all of this is in a package, there's reason to go ahead and pay for it.
Spritanium
Oh I get it now, they want us to pay for an even shittier version of something that used to be free
T-man
(Jun 2, 2017 at 2:22 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Oh I get it now, they want us to pay for an even shittier version of something that used to be free

I'm not sure that's the whole story. If executed properly having a smartphone app for online interactions could be very beneficial. Between loading screens and waiting to be matched I'm looking at my phone anyway. The thing is the smartphone app should not being doing all the legwork by itself, you should still be able to send messages and party chat from the actual system without a middleman device.
Spritanium
If I can't add friends with a simple username search and then talk to them either via voice or text at any given time (including while playing games), then the system is irredeemably broken
Mario
its fine really, Wii U's online service was only what it was with help from third parties like EA, doesn't surprise me that they're changing it up for the switch. Subscription but cheaper than the other guys makes sense, I don't think Sony or MS charges anything fair for their upkeep but idk.

Virtual Console switching to a WWE Network style of service is interesting, everything is becoming a service you gotta continually pay for these days and we're getting nearer and nearer to a time where we may not see Digital ownership anymore. Idk if that's good or bad, subscription with better value than ownership of things you only play for a periods at a time might make more sense for the consumer in the long run, but it makes archival of old stuff Hell which is bad for game history. But idk probably still going to see games sold as they are for the foreseeable future, vc games probably don't make Nintendo too much (esp if no one wants to rebuy anything they bought already) so it's an easy way to add Value to their paid service that's mostly equivalent to ps+ games and whatever Microsoft does
T-man
(Jun 2, 2017 at 3:21 PM)Mario Wrote:
Virtual Console switching to a WWE Network style of service is interesting, everything is becoming a service you gotta continually pay for these days and we're getting nearer and nearer to a time where we may not see Digital ownership anymore. Idk if that's good or bad, subscription with better value than ownership of things you only play for a periods at a time might make more sense for the consumer in the long run, but it makes archival of old stuff Hell which is bad for game history. But idk probably still going to see games sold as they are for the foreseeable future, vc games probably don't make Nintendo too much (esp if no one wants to rebuy anything they bought already) so it's an easy way to add Value to their paid service that's mostly equivalent to ps+ games and whatever Microsoft does

I keep seeing online that people assume that the Classic Game Selection is going to replace Virtual Console but that is the biggest load of shit I've ever heard in my life. They are not going to be giving unlimited access to an expansive catalogue games spanning various publishers and generations for a measly 20 dollars a year. Like PS+'s garbage monthly games, this is just spoonful of sugar to make the pay-for-online medicine go down. There's no way Virtual Console with individual pricing isn't gonna be a thing.
Mario
this is Nintendo we're talking about T-Man
Spritanium
It's kind of monumentally retarded how Nintendo just lets people pirate their old games without offering a viable alternative

If you could just buy any first-party Nintendo game from <2000 for $5-$10, playable through simple emulation on all future Nintendo consoles as well as through the use of an official mobile app, a ton of people (myself included) would be willing to pay for obsolete games and Nintendo would be making 100% more money on said obsolete games.

Instead they have to overcomplicate/fuck it up in every single way imaginable, forcing people to pay for games using "points" cards, making it a chore to transfer your purchases to new consoles (or even a different unit of the same console), offering games temporarily on a subscription basis, and so on.
T-man
I think the fact that Nintendo is a video game company that isn't apart of some larger corporate entity. Microsoft and Sony have a lot of different areas of expertise to pull from and apply to their video game division. That doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't shape the fuck up but it seems like a likely explanation.
Mario
im thinking of VC Being a multiplatform service 'play your favorite classic games anywhere' and why cant we live in that universe
T-man
(Jun 3, 2017 at 4:07 PM)Mario Wrote: im thinking of VC Being a multiplatform service 'play your favorite classic games anywhere' and why cant we live in that universe
Yeah, that would be incredible, but alas, too forward thinking and innovative. I think it would be really cool if they had a web-based version of the Virtual Console. There are already sites that emulate old video games in your browser and it would be really great to see Nintendo put that concept in a clean, professional interface.
Spritanium
It's free money, I have no idea why they don't do it

People would be stoked to pay money for obsolete software, instead of just pirating it

They could even release paid DLC for classic games (an idea I've had for at least 8 years) to milk old games even more. If I could buy a version of SM64 with Luigi and a couple new courses, I would probably pay near the price of a brand new game. For a game from 20 years ago. Why is this not a thing yet (or ever)
T-man
(Jun 3, 2017 at 8:54 PM)Spritanium Wrote: They could even release paid DLC for classic games (an idea I've had for at least 8 years) to milk old games even more. If I could buy a version of SM64 with Luigi and a couple new courses, I would probably pay near the price of a brand new game. For a game from 20 years ago. Why is this not a thing yet (or ever)

They would be crucified for this even though it might be cool
Spritanium
I don't think they'd be crucified at all, I think everyone would find it cool
Draku
sm64 dlc would be the best fucking thing ever
[Image: s2n7oi.png]