why does it feel like portal 2 came out in 09 when it came out in 11

T-man
is valve ever gonna make a game again?
Yrrzy
the last game Valve released was Destinations, their second VR title after The Lab

the majority of fans dont have a Vive so its easy to write off Valve as game devs
Yrrzy
but goddamn i fucking wish theyd release something i can play
Yoshin
Destinations does not feel like a full game, like most VR its like a big tech demo
Dude
they make more money with unregulated gambling and selling other people's games than actually making their own
Yrrzy
while technically true but also kind of the meme answer, they are still a studio full of game devs who wanna make stuff
T-man
(Jun 2, 2017 at 9:22 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: while technically true but also kind of the meme answer, they are still a studio full of game devs who wanna make stuff
with a structure where there's no boss

and it really shows
Dude
(Jun 2, 2017 at 9:22 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: while technically true but also kind of the meme answer, they are still a studio full of game devs who wanna make stuff
apparently not in the past 5 or 6 years!

(i'm counting dota 2 as unreleased still because it came out of "beta" missing most of its promised content)
sealelement
it doesn't feel like portal 2 came out in 2009 to me? i mean, it's been a really long time either way, but still.
100% pure gamer 100%
T-man
(Jun 2, 2017 at 10:22 PM)sealelement Wrote: it doesn't feel like portal 2 came out in 2009 to me? i mean, it's been a really long time either way, but still.
Maybe my memory is in Valve Time
MiniPup
Valve is a product of what consumers want. We killed Valve as a game development studio. The blood is on our hands.
Mario
everything I played of Valve's since the source engine has always felt like an extended tech demo showing off Stuff they can do. which isn't a bad way to make games or anything but I'm guessing if they haven't found some new toy to play with in particular they're not going to make a new game. which is a shame, cuz id love to see them just polish what they already have and make a game outta that.

actually I guess l4d2 was like that, i dont think they really added anything too fancy that wasnt already in 1. which idk l4d2 was really weird since it came out one year later, no one even thought the announcement leak was real cuz it just didnt seem valve-like at all.
Spritanium
Yeah L4D2 being released exactly a year after the first is a pretty weird anomaly. It seems like much longer in retrospect
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pedigree
tfw the only valve game you ever played was very little Portal