Poll: Predetermined or Elected staff?

Predetermined
46.15%
Elected
53.85%
Total: 13 vote(s)

Admins and Mods: Predetermined, or Elected?

Mario
[deleted]
Beako
Here's my two cents:

The staff team shouldn't drastically change from what it was on Old MW. Elyk and Draku should stay admins, WTL should stay tech admin, and Spritey should be promoted to tech admin. Alex, Dracon, and Yrr seem (keyword: seem) too intimidated to do their jobs (and I honestly can't blame them if that's the case) so they need to be demoted and replaced. If Draku or Elyk ever quit we should continue the tradition of promoting one of the global mods to their position. I don't see anything wrong with this system.

I don't know which poll option fits what I'm describing but whatever you meant by "nebulous sort-of meritocracy" sounds like the perfect system to me. Aside from a few incidents I never felt it was the staff of MFGG or MW that were the problem. The problem is people thinking that other people are a problem instead of trying to get along.

From my perspective the reason progress hasn't happened on MW is because the admins end up having busy lives in meatspace and I can't blame them for not having enough time to advance the progression of a Mario forum.

I doubt my opinion matters.
Shroomguy
Ultimately, I agree with a fair democratic process for the community to choose it's administration/moderators. There needs to be a lot of transparency with this decision making process so people actually trust the ones running the site. Feedback and suggestions of all sorts should be taken seriously (Which I'm glad has been the case thus far!)

As far as staff feedback is concerned, I also think there should be an open system for that.

I'll prob edit this with more thoughts as I have them
The Beef Baron
Draku
(Aug 3, 2016 at 9:32 PM)Puddin Wrote: Alex, Dracon, and Yrr seem (keyword: seem) too intimidated to do their jobs (and I honestly can't blame them if that's the case) so they need to be demoted and replaced.
I've sort of danced around this before but I'll just be blunt for the sake of transparency here: Dracon more or less abandoned doing anything without much word on it. Alex has been busy and his timezone doesn't line up so discussion has been difficult, though that was also to his benefit in the past, despite not being applied recently. Yrr has done plenty of mod actions and helped with staff decisions behind the scenes, though I think she was confused about the new testbed forum and the status of everything for a while in addition to seeming to be busy for a month or two in the middle of shit. That's why I vouched for Yrr in the past, I'm not certain I would do the same for the rest of the staff (no hard feelings intended, just the fact of the matter).
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Beako
One of the reasons the idea of a democratic staff picking disturbs me that I'm afraid it won't be difficult for popular MWers with a lot of friends to conspire votes for things that aren't in the best interest of Minus World.

My worry is that, for all intents and purposes, popular MWers are going to be super delegates.
Draku
(Aug 3, 2016 at 9:41 PM)Puddin Wrote: One of the reasons the idea of a democratic staff picking disturbs me that I'm afraid it won't be difficult for popular MWers with a lot of friends to conspire votes for things that aren't in the best interest of Minus World.

My worry is that, for all intents and purposes, popular MWers are going to be super delegates.
Exactly one of the things I was worrying about.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Beako
(Aug 3, 2016 at 9:41 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Aug 3, 2016 at 9:32 PM)Puddin Wrote: Alex, Dracon, and Yrr seem (keyword: seem) too intimidated to do their jobs (and I honestly can't blame them if that's the case) so they need to be demoted and replaced.
I've sort of danced around this before but I'll just be blunt for the sake of transparency here: Dracon more or less abandoned doing anything without much word on it. Alex has been busy and his timezone doesn't line up so discussion has been difficult, though that was also to his benefit in the past, despite not being applied recently. Yrr has done plenty of mod actions and helped with staff decisions behind the scenes, though I think she was confused about the new testbed forum and the status of everything for a while in addition to seeming to be busy for a month or two in the middle of shit. That's why I vouched for Yrr in the past, I'm not certain I would do the same for the rest of the staff (no hard feelings intended, just the fact of the matter).
Yeah, as a matter of fact, what you're describing actually mirrors what I assumed Yrr as a staff did (back when people were accusing her of being an inactive mod.) But I didn't know she was still doing stuff. My bad.

I support any of the three of them continuing to be a global mods (especially Yrr but I'm biased because I like her as a person, see this is why forum democracy is a bad idea) if they have time to continue to moderate on the new forum.
T-man
I could be a moderator if we end up shorthanded

I visit often and am not too busy irl
Beako
I am however fine with the sort of democracy we currently have, with forum suggestions, where, if someone suggests something and everyone is like "yeah that'd be wicked sick, please add this" the staff are finally listening to us instead of being like "nyeh! i don't wanna!"
kaZaam
(Aug 3, 2016 at 9:41 PM)Puddin Wrote: One of the reasons the idea of a democratic staff picking disturbs me that I'm afraid it won't be difficult for popular MWers with a lot of friends to conspire votes for things that aren't in the best interest of Minus World.

who would do this? if most people agree on someone then how is that not in the best interest of minus world? is this more weird dichotomies about the website vs the community? whats with these weird conspiratory assumptions from both mods and membs? idt anyone's out to ruin the site

unl you're implying that some people just can't be trusted regardless of any sort of plan in which i just disagree i guess
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Mario
[deleted]
T-man
Definitely something RobbyDude would do
Mario
[deleted]
Beako
I feel optimism is good, but I tend to unintentionally sound (or even feel) pessimistic at times. In post #25 I did my best to illustrate a hypothetical without putting any emotions or accusations behind it.

I think we have a good group right now; the staff and members seem to care about Minus World and the environment on this test board has been super friendly. I'm happy to see that McKnackus's "I want Minus World to succeed and grow" appears to have become a prevalent attitude rather than a silly catchphrase.
Spritanium
Maybe objective popularity can be determined somehow, such as through Good Sh*t counts?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
(Aug 3, 2016 at 10:11 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Maybe objective popularity can be determined somehow, such as through Good Sh*t counts?
that is super affected by postcounts tho
kaZaam
yea im not sure if its a gr8 idea but its p funny
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Mario
[deleted]
Spritanium
(Aug 3, 2016 at 10:16 PM)Yrr Wrote:
(Aug 3, 2016 at 10:11 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Maybe objective popularity can be determined somehow, such as through Good Sh*t counts?
that is super affected by postcounts tho

Very true

Good Sh*t algorithm? Total Good Sh*t count divided by post count?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Shroomguy
While there could be a stat for this (Popularity/Ego/Hot Sh*t Lvl) I don't think it should necessarily be a deciding factor in community administration and moderation.
The Beef Baron