we need peanus on the boardes
[Image: Bandit_-_russian_dancing.gif]
Pea
hi
EH2
There's only one way.

Boku wa Chode.
Stirling
honestly, killing game is our main driving force of activity; the discord has eaten most threads and the meaningful input we'd have because it's easier to go there

the option is clear, as the discord is a problem for killing game is well

we must kill the discord
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Draku
(Jul 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM)StirlADrei Wrote: honestly, killing game is our main driving force of activity; the discord has eaten most threads and the meaningful input we'd have because it's easier to go there

the option is clear, as the discord is a problem for killing game is well

we must kill the discord
i agree
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
I also hate the Discord.
Mario
Discord is definitely bad for the health of the board itself. IDK if that means the community takes a hit too, Discord is behind an invite so nobody can really see it until they join, whereas the board is public- maybe we're making the board less attractive by having most discussions on discord. (or maybe not, idk).

It'd be really good to chart out what the discord can do that the board can't and see what if anything we can do to get some of that magic if possible.

This reminds me, I recently came across Twist by the people behind Todoist. The short version is they tried out slack but a chat room environment for Work stuff ends up being a huge mess for a lot of different reasons (they have a good read here about that), so they ended up making their own slack-like tool that's a lot more like a forum. It'd be cool to try and re-think how forums work in a way like that too.

but I think the big thing is active development, even if it's just optimizing what we already have. We went big on the gimmicks here and when they get neglected I think it only makes sense activity dies down.
Draku
Mobile performance is something we really need because apparently I am the only person here who owns a phone that doesn't kill itself on MW. That's part of what makes Discord more attractive for a lot of members.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
EH2
The thing with Discord/IRC is that it allows for faster conversation. We could, as a community, try to make it so that we only use the Discord for stuff that we want to talk about quickly and be done with it, and take the conversations that we don't want to "lose in the scrollback" back in here as topics that can go on for longer.
Fun With Despair
(Jul 21, 2017 at 9:26 PM)Draku Wrote: Mobile performance is something we really need because apparently I am the only person here who owns a phone that doesn't kill itself on MW. That's part of what makes Discord more attractive for a lot of members.
It's actually not just MW itself on mobile. The chat boxes are largely what is totally busted, and create fucking insane lag when you use them. Just browsing is fine, actually.

No idea why this is, mind you
Agastya
its absolutely the discord because mw is basically just a splinter circlejerk community so of course people are just going to move to the instant gratification platform instead of the slow burn one
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Pedigree
you could just

try to post better on the forums
Spritanium
I think it'd be cool if there was some kind of discord integration, even if it wasn't automatic just something to bridge the gap between the platforms, like a daily recap thread of what went on in the discord today

The real issue lies in the fact that for shorter discussions, a chat is just a better format. Forums really excel when we want the discussion to last and/or we're trying to articulate really complex positions. I think the forum could do better if we had more surreal experimental threads, or themed threads like mario lore

Basically debates, forum games, and ironic roleplaying (i.e. not trying to have an actual discussion but instead trying to generate humor through a fake discussion, see mario lore thread) are the three last bastions of message boards; we must do whatever it takes to preserve them
[Image: supercorrect.png]