Nicktoon Reboot Movie Previews (Rocko, Hey Arnold)

T-man
Nickelodeon giving their 90's properties new TV movies was a move the reeked of desperation, and given their track record these days you'd be forgiven for having no expectations whatsoever. They finally released some previews at SDCC and I'm honestly amazed that these don't look like cheap pieces of shit, Hey Arnold in particular looks amazing.

Thoughts?
EH2

>the jungle movie

HOLY

SHIT

Nah T, that one isn't "desperation move", it's "finally keeping their fucking promise"
sealelement
oh great another cartoon show doign an iphone joke thats never been done before
100% pure gamer 100%
Mario
looks fun, might check them out. Love the idea of bringing an old loved show back together for a special or two and seeing what they do with it.

Saw a lot of people complain about the jokes in Rocco's modern life, idk what you'd expect like his life wouldn't get more modern? They're lazy jokes sure but they seem to fit at least
Poxni
i only saw the preview for the rocko one which LOOKS ok but... the Funny Millenials Jokes
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
Draku
the strange thing about the rocko one is that it feels exactly like rocko used to but the jokes aren't quite as good because all of them are hitting the obvious points
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
(Jul 22, 2017 at 12:49 PM)Draku Wrote: the strange thing about the rocko one is that it feels exactly like rocko used to but the jokes aren't quite as good because all of them are hitting the obvious points
It's actually mostly a cultural thing I think. Rocko hit and mocked the obvious points in the 90s too, but it stood out as funny and unique because 90's media largely played all that stuff straight, especially those awful cartoons like Yo Yogi.

Rocko mocking that sort of stuff in 2017 doesn't really work as well at all because EVERYTHING these days does that, everything is self-deprecating hyperbole, so Rocko is just kind of... mundane when set in 2017 instead of standout funny.
Pedigree
hip with rocko's modern life movie but hey arnold is boring as fuck
T-man
(Jul 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM)Pedigree Wrote: hip with rocko's modern life movie but hey arnold is boring as fuck

>one has animals and the other doesn't

hmmmmm...

But in all seriousness, Hey Arnold is one of the best shows Nickelodeon has ever produced. I never appreciated it as a kid because it was so grounded in reality, but going back to it as an adult allowed me to appreciate all the subtleties the show had to offer. There are many examples of the show tackling mature themes through a sanitized, child-safe lens and you're able to read between the lines in ways you just can't when you're an innocent kid. Helga on the Couch being a particularly heavy episode all around, there's also a pretty heated scene in the Thanksgiving episode involving Mr. Simmons' family and some implied homosexuality. And let's not forget Steely Phil going mano y mano with Adolf Hitler.

Draku
(Jul 22, 2017 at 6:11 PM)T-man Wrote: But in all seriousness, Hey Arnold is one of the best shows Nickelodeon has ever produced.
no it really wasnt, boring as shit as a kid and overly mundane as an adult

even the select few episodes i do remember i look up and recall that they were actually really boring. like that sewer king one had an amusing setup and end joke but the rest of the episode is filler
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Pedigree
I identified with it as a kid growing up in a poor neighborhood with a shitty public school but I tried watching it as an adult and it just doesn't hold up for me. I found it boring as fuck to sit through on Hulu.
Pedigree
I have a problem in general with the nickelodeon/disney style cartoon sitcoms... you have these animated characters doing boring, average, everyday shit and I feel like if I wanted to watch that shit I'd just watch a real sitcom.

Then again iirc this was back before nick and disney tried doing the big live action show schtick and were all cartoons.

I tend to prefer a little action or comedy in my cartoons even back then, and I think I only watched Hey Arnold and Disney's Doug because there were no other cartoons on, not because I had any enjoyment for them.

idk probably just a me thing
Pedigree
I think Slice of Life animes do the sitcom schtick better to be honest, because they do exaggerate animation/emotions/situations sometimes to break up the monotony. Something neither Doug or Hey Arnold ever really did from what I recall.

I will say I think my favorite Hey Arnold episode is the one with... I think it's a ghost train but even then I don't remember much about it.
Mario
i remember robbydude used to rant about how slice of life anime needed to be more like hey Arnold lol

Good fuckin show tho
Spritanium
Say what you want but I'm a sucker for old shows coming back with a modern twist as long as they're actually done well

And they almost never are, but these look great

Also the jungle movie is 100% guaranteed to be great because it's literally Craig Bartlett's magnum opus; he's had the movie in his head for almost two decades and he finally got to make it
Spritanium
You also have to keep in mind, these old shows are returning partially to cash in on nostalgia, but also because Nickelodeon feels the existing characters can be used to reach a new generation. In other words they're not just designed for you to enjoy, but for kids to enjoy as well. So the easy social commentary in that Rocko preview might seem uninspired to us, but imo it's pretty important for kids to learn to ridicule the world instead of taking everything seriously. I can't think of a single other satirical kids' show that exists today.
Spritanium
One cartoon I wish would come back is Clone High but that seems kind of hopeless considering it was never popular to begin with

But man if that exact same show had been released 10 years later, it would've been a hit
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Rapidkirby3k
I have to admit though, both of these Nickelodeon sneak peeks are looking very promising so far! Cool Usually I don't take kindly to reboots or sequels nowadays, especially if it is done poorly or just plain contrived.
[Image: 45Yrb9j.png]
sealelement
(Jul 28, 2017 at 2:58 PM)Spritanium Wrote: One cartoon I wish would come back is Clone High but that seems kind of hopeless considering it was never popular to begin with

But man if that exact same show had been released 10 years later, it would've been a hit

please dont bring up clone high i still cry every time
100% pure gamer 100%
Spritanium
Yeah its one of my favorites, probably the most witty and self aware cartoon I've ever seen
[Image: supercorrect.png]