How do people sit through entertainment that is boring?

Puddin
I have a very short attention span but generally I'd rather sit through something that's entertaining and bad than something that's boring and "good." For example, I'd probably rather sit through a Family Guy marathon than rewatch all the Lord of the Rings movies.

But how is Lord of the Rings boring?
Not really an easy question to answer. I enjoyed them enough the first time watching them but this was years ago and I remember being least-bored during the parts with Golem/Smeagol. It sucks because I have trouble explaining why they don't really grab my attention that easily.

Wait so you like Family Guy? Or you at least like it better than Lord of the Rings?
Uh, not exactly. But if I had to pick between a planet where the Lord of the Rings movies exist or Family Guy exists I think I'd pick the universe where the Lord of the Rings movies exist but it's hard for me to explain really why.

I don't know. Maybe I answered thread title with my first sentence "I have a very short attention span." The question is: is this fixable? Can anyone relate?
Shadow the Hedgehog
the problem with The Lord of the Rings is it's too fucking long

this is why it's not really re-watchable compared to a tv show

after you've seen TLOTR once, why would you want to sit through all of them again?
Yrrzy
the answer is that they dont find them boring i guess
Draku
rewatches of long and slowly paced content that you already know the important parts of are hard because you're just waiting through all of the lulls in order to get to what you remember, whereas rewatches of shorter form comedies continue to be interesting because their job is to be rapidfire-esque with being amusing even if the jokes suck. notice that you said you were entertained the first time through, that is what actually matters.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
but family guy is fucking boring and lord of the rings is exciting as hell
EH2
You know Pud? I have a very similar problem which has gotten me into situations I don't want to be in, as I discuss in another topic in this here board
Spritanium
I never understand why people treat Family Guy like the pinnacle of bad television

It's just a low effort vehicle for pop culture references, and it does that quite well
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Shadow the Hedgehog
I find it entertaining at times, but daren't say that I do or else I get called the lowest common denominator.
EH2
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:38 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I never understand why people treat Family Guy like the pinnacle of bad television

It's just a low effort vehicle for pop culture references, and it does that quite well

a) because it's still on the air despite never having been as good as its competitors (when those were good)
b) because its creator is still churning out bad stuff all over the place and no one dares to put a stop to the man
c) one of those things is the closest thing we'll ever have to good old Star Trek back on TV, but it has his stench all over it and it makes me sad
d) seriously, he wants to make a TNG-like show but with marital quarrel comedy, why did no one tell him that was a real shit idea
Shadow the Hedgehog
ok sudo tell us how you really feel about seth mcfarlane and how he stole the simpsons
Briraka
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:38 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I never understand why people treat Family Guy like the pinnacle of bad television

i'd be fine with family guy if they just stuck to being with what you described, but then they did a bunch of episodes where they tried and failed to do deep/dark stuff like with the botched anti-christianity message and the one with quagmire's sister.
Shadow the Hedgehog
ono it wasn't pc enough
EH2
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:52 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: ok sudo tell us how you really feel about seth mcfarlane and how he stole the simpsons

he stole cosmos
now he's stealing star trek

don't you see it? he wants to conquer Space itself, soon you'll hear how he'll get directorial seat for Star Wars episode IX, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, maybe even the remake of Legend of Galactic Heroes all the way in Japan

and he'll turn them all into sitcoms
Briraka
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:53 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: ono it wasn't pc enough

well then, i apologize if i personally find it jarring when they try to be serious in a show that also isn't meant to be taken seriously.

and i don't really care if they're pro-macintosh either.Grin
Shadow the Hedgehog
(Sep 7, 2017 at 11:00 PM)Briraka Wrote:
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:53 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: ono it wasn't pc enough

well then, i apologize if i personally find it jarring when they try to be serious in a show that also isn't meant to be taken seriously.

and i don't really care if they're pro-macintosh either.Grin
I think you've got some wires crossed if you think they're being 100% serious in the episodes you mentioned.
Shadow the Hedgehog
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:59 PM)EH2 Wrote:
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:52 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: ok sudo tell us how you really feel about seth mcfarlane and how he stole the simpsons

he stole cosmos
now he's stealing star trek

don't you see it? he wants to conquer Space itself, soon you'll hear how he'll get directorial seat for Star Wars episode IX, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, maybe even the remake of Legend of Galactic Heroes all the way in Japan

and he'll turn them all into sitcoms
>caring about Star Wars

>me

>2017

as for anything else, idk I've never seen anything he's directed/produced that isn't a comedy that pisses people off
Draku
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:46 PM)EH2 Wrote: marital quarrel comedy
why is this such a thing in the first place
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Briraka
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:59 PM)EH2 Wrote: don't you see it? he wants to conquer Space itself, soon you'll hear how he'll get directorial seat for Star Wars episode IX, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, maybe even the remake of Legend of Galactic Heroes all the way in Japan
don't know anything about LoGH, but considering GotG2 was shit about how it handled it's mix of comedy and drama compared to the first, he can just go full sitcom for all i care.:P

and as for SW9? well, disney is already firing and hiring everyone, so it's only a matter of time until it's his turn.
EH2
(Sep 7, 2017 at 11:11 PM)Briraka Wrote: and as for SW9? well, disney is already firing and hiring everyone, so it's only a matter of time until it's his turn.

That feel when they hired fucking Jurassic World dude for it (mistake 1), then hired fucking Harry Potter and the Cursed Child dude to revise Jurassic World dude's attempt at a script (mistake 2), then of both dudes they decided to keep Cursed Child dude and dump Jurassic World dude (mistake 3 for not firing both, mistake 4 for keeping the worst of the 2, mistake 5 because Disney hasn't fired Kathleen Kennedy, Bryan Burk, and Ram Bergman already)

I mean, at this point they could fucking do whatever they want and most options would be an improvement, but you know what? if Seth MacFarlane got hired for that film I'd call it mistake 6
Mario