Um, do you guys use credit cards? Your info *might* be at risk

EH2
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/pf/victi...index.html

I bet some of you already know about the Equifax hack, hundreds of millions of people's personal data exposed, yadda yadda. If you hadn't heard of it, and you're in the USA, and you use credit cards, especially if you've been in credit disputes before, then uh

you better check the status of your data.
Draku
more like

"if you exist at all as an adult and equifax scrubbed your data"

the SSN stealing is a way bigger deal than credit card shit
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
EH2
you have a point there

I'm not really sure how sensitive is the SSN here in Mexico
Pea
i just bought some computer parts but i live in canada so i'm gonna say i should be "safe" for now

quote marks are there for a reason, nobody can be really safe
Dude
credit cards are hilariously insecure just on their own so
it's the ssn and personal info shit that's the problem
Mario
In general (NOT due to this leak, this has been the advice for a few years), Brian Krebs U.S. Public Interest Research Group (US-PIRG) recommends everyone do a security freeze with the top 4 credit agencies in the country. Apparently it's the only way to prevent new lines of credit being opened with your identity, monitoring services (like the one equifax is offering for free* (*waiving your rights to sue them in a class action or otherwise for losing your data lol)) just let you know when someone opens a line with your identity. Or at least that's what he claims, I'm not an expert on this stuff- it seems like when it comes to security with credit its archaic as hell not only in what you can do to secure it but even just that a big leak like this was inevitable. Anyway here's Kreb's FAQ on it:
Security Freeze FAQ

Luckily my info wasn't in this leak (apparently), but I'll probably do a security freeze eventually anyway? It's a really awkward thing to do to protect your credit. Like 4 seperate agencies and then if you _do_ need to open a line of credit you gotta unfreeze it with the particular agency who you're setting it up with and then refreeze it after you get that new line set up (which will cost you a fee again if there was a fee). But I guess it's better than it being open to the world? idk finance security is so backwards- my google account is more secure than my bank account lmfao.

Another useful thing I can share for credit card security online is Privacy, a tool which lets you create unlimited cards for using online which you can set limits to so your card can't be misused. There's two variants- one is a burner that dies after it's used and the other is a merchant-locked card that is locked to whoever uses it first. Really cool and smart tool and best of all it's free. The only downside is they have this 1% cash back system which unfortunately is hidden behind a some kind of promotional code you gotta jump through hoops to get if they're even offering those codes out right now. The link I provided is a referral link which will get you and me both $5 so it'd be cool if you signed up with that. I started using it recently and it's pretty damn cool.
Puddin
This is a plot by the Illuminati for us to take on the mark of the beast (666.) Just you wait sheeple.