Poll: Time-based Rally or current Rally system?

Time-based was better
0%
Time-based is better, but needs to be adjusted
50.00%
Current system is better
50.00%
Total: 4 vote(s)

Rally is still pointless without a time-based decay

Spritanium
"Oh cool I just cast a spell and got my rally up, now I'll just leave for a month and when I get back I still won't be back to 1.00x because there's hardly any activity"

seriously if we keep it like this we might as well just remove rally altogether because it doesn't encourage posting anymore

getting your rally back down to 1x is now more difficult than keeping it high, why does anyone think this is a good thing, big numbers don't automatically = good

@God back me up on this, there must be something about rally in the bible
Spritanium
There's also the fact that having an ex income-based decay is literally a punishment for posting content that people like, whereas a time-based decay just means you're likely to miss an opportunity by not posting

sorry this has been bothering me for months and I don't understand why it doesn't bother anyone else
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Oct 2, 2017 at 4:59 AM)Spritanium Wrote: There's also the fact that having an ex income-based decay is literally a punishment for posting content that people like
better not post that thing people like at a time people aren't active because that's punishing with the other system if we're going to get that silly about it
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
^ That's strategy, it's not a bad thing, besides rally is supposed to just be a bonus, not something that people easily keep maxed out

But if that's really an issue then I would recommend holding increased Rally in place until you collect your next EX, after which it starts to decay based on time

Anything beyond that is just a handicap imo. I just think the current system makes rally less meaningful, completely non-strategic, and basically just another epeen number (which we already have levels for)
EH2
Speak for yourselves and your eternal high rallies

I had a 5x rally once and got it back to 1x in like a week or so, and I even used a Rally Up at the time
Spritanium
It shouldn't take a week because that's not fun

Getting 1ex for an action that's supposed to earn you 1ex shouldn't be a bummer, it should be the default

I just feel like this is supposed to partially be a game and it's not fun without any sense of urgency, it's like if your star power in guitar hero just lasted until the end of the song
Spritanium
Basically if you cast spells frequently your rally just never decreases. And it kinda sucks because I distinctly remember when getting a high rally was an actual accomplishment that inspired me to spend the next few minutes posting
Pedigree
You DO realize time-decay rally won't encourage posting anyways and will just restrict spell casting for literally no reason, right? Not everybody here is high level as it is other than those that never cast any spells and adding time decay would be worse for literally anyone who actually spends EX on spells.

If you want to encourage posting, you guys are going to have to reach outside of your circle and promote Minus World's features to newcomers. When I post here, I feel like I'm just talking to myself and it's awkward as fuck. Why should I post on the forum if no one will even reply? Is forcing me to spam the forum to gain EX to cast stupid spells on posts NO ONE WILL SEE really the answer?

No. It's not.
Spritanium
Wait how would it restrict spell casting? Rally doesn't make spells cheaper. If anything it would encourage more spell casting because people would need to get their rally back up

And encouraging posting is just a side effect, my main thing was that with the original implementation of rally the site actually sort of felt like a game, which was one of our main goals when developing this thing

But nobody seems to want it to be a game, nobody wants a challenge, people just want to be indefinitely rewarded for using a feature that should be a reward in and of itself (spells). And that sucks bro
Spritanium
Also

Quote:But if that's really an issue then I would recommend holding increased Rally in place until you collect your next EX, after which it starts to decay based on time

What is wrong with this idea
Spritanium
Basically at the end of the day I feel no joy using this site anymore, nobody casts spells because their rally is already high or they just don't care about spells, so we just have another boring forum with extra features nobody uses
Spritanium
It's like we put up the rails at a bowling alley, yeah the game is easier and it's fun for 5 minutes, but then you start to realize it's impossible to lose and that makes the game shit
Spritanium
New Super Mario Bros would suck if the mega mushroom lasted indefinitely until you collected X amount of points

Time based mechanics exist because they're challenging, we gained nothing by making things easier except placating people who don't want to have to try as hard to feel like they're winning
EH2
Perhaps you should see beyond the gamification and realize that not everyone has tons of time to post on a message board anymore, or good things to post that aren't either ephemeral (better for Discord) or unilateral (better as social media posts).
Pedigree
(Oct 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM)Spritanium Wrote: Wait how would it restrict spell casting? Rally doesn't make spells cheaper. If anything it would encourage more spell casting because people would need to get their rally back up
Level 1 ex gain is fucking terrible and the only way to increase your rally is to cast spells which you can't afford unless you literally spam.

Posting doesn't even increase rally, which would probably be a better solution given your intention.
Quote:And encouraging posting is just a side effect, my main thing was that with the original implementation of rally the site actually sort of felt like a game, which was one of our main goals when developing this thing

But nobody seems to want it to be a game, nobody wants a challenge, people just want to be indefinitely rewarded for using a feature that should be a reward in and of itself (spells). And that sucks bro
You can't really play the "it's a game not a forum" card when development has frozen to a halt and nobody is around to play this game in the first place. Granted, I understand that life comes first and all devs are volunteers but a "game, not a forum" that is the equivalent of a multiplayer only game with the servers taken offline...
Pedigree
MW is declining purely because you guys won't reach out of our tiny fucking circle to promote it. You have a great feature set that is wasted on people who have lost interest almost entirely in them... especially because there's no one around to "play" with.
Spritanium
(Oct 2, 2017 at 5:37 AM)EH2 Wrote: Perhaps you should see beyond the gamification and realize that not everyone has tons of time to post on a message board anymore, or good things to post that aren't either ephemeral (better for Discord) or unilateral (better as social media posts).

Again, nobody is entitled to bonus points for using a basic feature of the site

I don't see how nobody else thinks this is a handicap
Spritanium
I'm literally not concerned about activity, I'm fine with this being a forum that 5-10 people post on, as long as there's some challenge and strategy behind the gamelike features

As far as I'm concerned this is purely a discussion about rally and how the way it currently works is like a lottery everybody gets to win all the time
Pedigree
A handicap on what?

"Playing" your "game" alone is not fun. You're making a big deal out of the wrong issue here. The issue is more people leave than join and you're doing nothing about it. Promote MW's features for Christ's sake and maybe the massive decline in activity will level out again for a while if not improve drastically.

I don't want to talk just to myself and a handful of others. Why wouldn't I just use the discord for that?
EH2
You say that if rally decayed with time people would know to seize it while it's there, but then I think to myself and realize that if rally decayed with time I wouldn't even bother trying to get it over 1x because there's less incentive to have a rally if it expires on its own.