Another Phone Loses the Headphone Jack

Pedigree
Getting rid of the jack because people will deal without it just to have the newest iPhone isn't the same thing as "oh people actually want this feature". The problem with your statement that I don't have to have these new phones is that it will become the standard and eventually I will be forced into wireless headphones since a 3.5mm jack will no longer be an option.

I don't want that.
T-man
And unlike, say the jump from VHS to DVDs, the upgrade to wireless just isn't as substantial or even really necessary.

When wireless headphones start doubling as blowjob machines maybe I'll see more value in them beyond the absence of a cord.
Draku
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:24 PM)T-man Wrote: And unlike, say the jump from VHS to DVDs, the upgrade to wireless just isn't as substantial or even really necessary.

When wireless headphones start doubling as blowjob machines maybe I'll see more value in them beyond the absence of a cord.
>they replace the headphone jack with blowjob jacks

>you have to have a really tiny penis to use them

FUUUUUUUUUCK
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Pedigree
you mark my words, one day you'll have to buy each significant part of a phone separately, paying $800 for an empty shell
Draku
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:29 PM)Pedigree Wrote: you mark my words, one day you'll have to buy each significant part of a phone separately, paying $800 for an empty shell
you're already buying a $2000 phone why are you complaining that you have to buy the wireless voice receiver and sender modules that you clip onto it separately for $50 each LMAO
Mario
It's baffling Google would go this route, but I guess they want to copy whatever Apple does LOL. Can't wait for the Pixel X next year. Apparently their headphone adapter will cost $20- Apple's is already ridiculous at $9, so what the fuck.

I was a huge fan of USB Type-C when I first heard of it. One cable for everything, and Apple was even developing. If this got supported quickly, the initial period of having adapters for everything will suck but it'll be a bold new future.

And then it came out and absolutely nothing used it for a while... until Apple revealed their fucking LAPTOP with ONE PORT. I didn't realize having a standard cable would mean companies would put only one port in things if they can get away with it... especially for a god damn laptop. (In all fairness the MacBook does have a headphone jack, but geez). So adapter hell wasn't going to be a temporary thing, but pretty much required for this hell future since there's always going to be inadequate ports.

And the worst part about it is USB Type-C adoption is so fucking slow that you're gonna have adapters for fucking YEARS. So many computers still don't have a port for it. Nowadays you can have it if you look for it, but what the fuck.

On top of that Apple still hasn't decided to support it with their phones, sticking with the Lightning port that only they use. It's not too surprising a choice coming from Apple but...

Anyway the headphone jack. The great thing about this Classic Jack is that it works for everything. When cell phones first started being a thing you couldn't find it in most of em but eventually everyone agreed this jack is a good friend. It's been around for like 100 years which is an incredible feat for a kind of connector. I wouldn't mind if it stuck around forever, but I also wouldn't mind if we moved up to USB Type-C jacks for this if adoption was sane. But it's not.

Apple removing the Jack was a classic Apple move. I don't listen to music and charge my phone at the same time so I can live with the adapter (which comes with the phone thank god), but it's understandable why people would be pissed at this- Apple's ONE PORT FOR EVERYTHING is their special exclusive lightning port. It's completely fucked up that Apple hasn't moved to USB Type-C since they worked on it but I guess Apple is just gonna do their thing, In an ideal world Apple would have only removed the jack at the same time they switched over to USB Type-C, "the headphone jack has always been universal, but in the Future we want USB Type-C to be universal" (and ideally in this ideal future, phones have two ports at the bottom- theyre fucking tiny ports so why not lol). Apple's been totally ridiculous all around lately here's a good read about them fucking up design time after time.

So now Google is like "fuck the jack" and while they have the appropriate adapter to do it, it's just not the right time at all. USB Type-C adoption is in Hell mode so this is just a foolish move. (though, if they wanted to make a Good move imo, they should have put two USB Type-C ports on their phone. As a market leader that could make a big difference. Or not since everyone just copies Apple and ignores everyone else LOL).

Bluetooth headphones are a good solution if that's your thing. They're actually universal (works with Apple _and_ the other guys) and have been around for long enough where nearly everything supports em. I think wireless earphones at all are fuckin ridiculous but whatever, I remember a bunch of tech journalists Obsessed with the idea of them in the lead up to them being a viable thing so I guess Somebody wants them. However, personally I don't want wireless headphones. It's another thing to charge (fuck that) and since my phone is Right Fuckin There I don't see any need to go wireless.

I hope the future sorts itself out soon but until then welcome to hell world.
Mario
foolish hopeful consumer brain: wow a universal jack! I won't have to worry about adapters anymore
smart, intelligent corporate brain: wow a universal jack! we can make devices with a single port and sell countless adapters to people who optionally want more ports
Spritanium
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Getting rid of the jack because people will deal without it just to have the newest iPhone isn't the same thing as "oh people actually want this feature". The problem with your statement that I don't have to have these new phones is that it will become the standard and eventually I will be forced into wireless headphones since a 3.5mm jack will no longer be an option.

I don't want that.

Then you'll get used to the new thing and get over it within a month, just like every other time this happens

People were pissed when flatscreen TVs and monitors took over CRTs, "ohh the black levels aren't as good", then they got over it because it didn't actually matter

People were pissed when cell phones stopped having physical keyboards, "ohh but I can't live without real tactile feedback", then they got over it because it didn't actually matter

People were pissed when high end laptops stopped having DVD burners, "ohh but how will I get anything done", then guess what happened

they got over it because it didn't actually matter

People adapt to new things, and it's a lot easier to adopt it sooner rather than later, because otherwise you'll be fighting tooth and nail until the bitter end to protect something that you eventually won't miss
Spritanium
This thread just gives me the same vibes as people who act like their life is over whenever facebook's layout changes, oh fuck I can't live without the previous awesome layout, it was perfect in every way

even though a year prior the current perfect layout was the one they thought was shit just because it was different than the previous
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Mario
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:45 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Getting rid of the jack because people will deal without it just to have the newest iPhone isn't the same thing as "oh people actually want this feature". The problem with your statement that I don't have to have these new phones is that it will become the standard and eventually I will be forced into wireless headphones since a 3.5mm jack will no longer be an option.

I don't want that.

Then you'll get used to the new thing and get over it within a month, just like every other time this happens

People were pissed when flatscreen TVs and monitors took over CRTs, "ohh the black levels aren't as good", then they got over it because it didn't actually matter

People were pissed when cell phones stopped having physical keyboards, "ohh but I can't live without real tactile feedback", then they got over it because it didn't actually matter

People were pissed when high end laptops stopped having DVD burners, "ohh but how will I get anything done", then guess what happened

they got over it because it didn't actually matter

People adapt to new things, and it's a lot easier to adopt it sooner rather than later, because otherwise you'll be fighting tooth and nail until the bitter end to protect something that you eventually won't miss

good post, and I'm still pissed I can't get a good phone with a keyboard (fuck the black berry)

the big problem is there isn't a sane solution for wired headphones right now, but I mean, Apple still sells the 6s and SE (which are both perfectly good and functional) so I'm sure there'll be headphone jack phones until there is a sane solution. The worrying thing is that Pixel is what Google says 'we want to see this in all Android phones' so maybe in the next year or two a headphone jack will be Rare for those mid-range android phones. but we'll see
Mario
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:49 PM)Spritanium Wrote: This thread just gives me the same vibes as people who act like their life is over whenever facebook's layout changes, oh fuck I can't live without the previous awesome layout, it was perfect in every way

even though a year prior the current perfect layout was the one they thought was shit just because it was different than the previous

i remember when there was an angry thread on minus world every time youtube did a redesign LOL. really annoying
Draku

>flatscreen TVs vs CRTs

not a comparison, there are gains and losses to this, such as form factor

>cell phones not having physical keyboards

this affects form factor and affects price heavily, not a comparison

>high end laptops stopped having DVD burners

laptops having dvd drives affects form factor. not a comparison

the headphone jack loss does nothing to form factor and it sure as shit isn't benefiting the consumer in the price department.
Mario
phones can be thinner now, so it does affect form factor (even if it hasn't yet) which is what companies tell me I want
Mario
cd tray in laptops is actually an incredible apt comparison since it's companies taking shit out to make things thinner even though nobody asked for thinner things.
Draku
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:52 PM)Mario Wrote: phones can be thinner now, so it does affect form factor (even if it hasn't yet) which is what companies tell me I want
then remove the headphone jack when it does affect form factor, not when it doesn't
Spritanium
Also I hope nobody thinks I'm actually mad in this thread, I just have a hard time understanding this logic since the "what I have now works fine" mindset doesn't do it for me, I just like to get new things
Mario
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:53 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:52 PM)Mario Wrote: phones can be thinner now, so it does affect form factor (even if it hasn't yet) which is what companies tell me I want
then remove the headphone jack when it does affect form factor, not when it doesn't

I'll think about it
T-man

If phones get any thinner you’ll be able to snap them in half. Who is this madman who wants his phone to be as thick as a credit card?
Spritanium
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:53 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also I hope nobody thinks I'm actually mad in this thread, I just have a hard time understanding this logic since the "what I have now works fine" mindset doesn't do it for me, I just like to get new things

Actually scratch this, I only listen to music in my car and I still use my Zune HD for that

But my car doesn't have bluetooth so when I do want to listen to something that I don't have on my Zune, I actually need my phone to have a headphone jack

So yeah it is too early for 3.5mm jacks to be removed from all phones, but I still don't see the harm in letting people buy what they want, and I still really don't think it'll be legitimately hard to find a phone with a 3.5mm anytime soon
Draku
(Oct 5, 2017 at 5:53 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also I hope nobody thinks I'm actually mad in this thread, I just have a hard time understanding this logic since the "what I have now works fine" mindset doesn't do it for me, I just like to get new things
this isn't a meaningful change that does anything though. it is literally removal of options. there is no defending it

you can use bluetooth headphones on a phone with a headphone jack
you can't use normal headphones on a phone without a headphone jack.

no jackless phones are thinner or have any benefit whatsoever for having it removed

trust me, i love new shit and will fork out money for it -- when there's an actual reason to.