Consuming the Creations of People You Find Reprehensible

T-man
In the wake of the release of A Hat in Time this seems like pertinent discussion. What's more is we've got ourselves a double whammy with the game being developed by our good friend MechaBowser and featuring a small vocal cameo from card-carrying Nazi, JonTron.

[Image: kJFTmcf.png]

These two factors are quite unfortunate, as the game itself is actually really good (at least so far.) Understandably, each thread about a Hat in Time that crops up on my second favorite message board is taken over with a swath of kind Samaritans letting the uninformed know that if they purchase this game, their money will be going to certified shitlords.

Do you think it's possible to separate the art from the artist? Are you able to do so? Are those who are able to consume the creations of horrible people horrible themselves?

Personally, and this no doubt comes from a place of privilege, I take all creative works at face value and seldom think too hard about those who created it (just like I don't think about the Foxconn workers who killed themselves so I could have a smart phone.) It's one thing if their abhorrent values seep into their work, but if it's otherwise innocuous to write it off completely is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If that makes me a prick well, I guess I'm a prick.

If anyone is curious about JonTron's role in A Hat in Time you can see it here.
Spritanium
(Oct 6, 2017 at 1:03 AM)T-man Wrote: Personally, and this no doubt comes from a place of privilege, I take all creative works at face value and seldom think too hard about those who created it (just like I don't think about the Foxconn workers who killed themselves so I could have a smart phone.) It's one thing if their abhorrent values seep into their work, but if it's otherwise innocuous to write it off completely is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If that makes me a prick well, I guess I'm a prick.
Pretty much exactly how I feel
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
if something is good it's going to be good regardless of if i dont like the creator personally lol.

mechabowser is a loser and a hat in time looks bad but it's not because i dont like mechabowser. it just doesn't look like a good game.

do people seriously still care about the jontron drama? like holy shit
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yrrzy
i have mixed feelings on the subject cause sometimes i can seperate art and artist and sometimes i cant, depending on the specific instance
T-man
Mecha just played himself

[Image: iZeKUIM.jpg]

You heard 'em folks, pirate this shit for the motherland.
Kabuto
who plays video games in this day and age
[Image: Bandit_-_russian_dancing.gif]
Aidan
i tend to just not acknowledge the works of shitty people
tho so far i haven't encountered anything rly good made by a piece of shit
if kojima started choking babies i'd have a real dilemma
God
yea i gotta agre e wit h@Aidoan on this one i rek n lyk msot of thw things that bad peeople make are Bad
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
T-man
(Oct 6, 2017 at 3:47 AM)God Wrote: yea i gotta agre e wit h@Aidoan on this one i rek n lyk msot of thw things that bad peeople make are Bad

what are you on and can you send me some
Aidan
(Oct 6, 2017 at 3:56 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Oct 6, 2017 at 3:47 AM)God Wrote: yea i gotta agre e wit h@Aidoan on this one i rek n lyk msot of thw things that bad peeople make are Bad

real talk i don't even want to give examples of shit by Bad People that i once liked because i'm semi-embarrassed i ever liked it
like what's the new hot controversy? jontron? even outside of game gramps which is about as funny as pounding nails into your penis, his knock-off avgn show is def. not worth sending ad revenue to a neo-nazi
T-man
(Oct 6, 2017 at 4:42 AM)Aidan Wrote:

real talk i don't even want to give examples of shit by Bad People that i once liked because i'm semi-embarrassed i ever liked it
like what's the new hot controversy? jontron? even outside of game gramps which is about as funny as pounding nails into your penis, his knock-off avgn show is def. not worth sending ad revenue to a neo-nazi

I wasn’t making a comment about her opinion, I was making a comment about her spelling. Oracular usually has a loose writing style but that shit is next level.
EH2
I generally tend to steer clear of content creators that are especially reprehensible to me, because those kinds of people tend to make damn sure everything they do shows just how reprehensible they are. With some people it's not so easy to spot, and there are a few people I still follow that make me question just how much they're keeping their reprehensibility under wraps and just playing at being on the fence.

As for JonTron, some people like to think he's just a useful idiot that is letting himself get deeper into the bullshit because he wants somewhere to belong or because he's trying to align with his userbase. When one considers that a lot of vidya YT is a bunch of memers trying to squeeze the last drops of edgy humor left in the low hanging fruit, you can sort of see why those people like to think that way about Jon, but IMO he should have seen the shitstorm coming.
Mario
idk like there isnt some purty test or whatever but yeah im gonna shit on things made by bad people (and not play them or whatever) if i can help it, there's so much entertainment these days you're fooling yourself if you think that stuff by bad people is the only stuff out there. i have a big enough backlog without worrying about whatever the fuck mecha the slag has made (other than for pooping on of course)
Mario
i still play minecraft though, makes me laugh when you think of notch
Aidan
(Oct 6, 2017 at 4:52 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Oct 6, 2017 at 4:42 AM)Aidan Wrote:
(Oct 6, 2017 at 3:56 AM)T-man Wrote: what are you on and can you send me some

I wasn’t making a comment about her opinion, I was making a comment about her spelling. Oracular usually has a loose writing style but that shit is next level.

well it was 50/50 and i guessed wrong
Spooks?
I mean, I'm terrible and people keep joining my games, so maybe it's less about the fiber of your being but more about the quality of your content
I mean, if their shit is fire it's fire.

Now if they're doing terrible things AND their content is trash then I am fully offended and will petition that they cease whatever creative endeavors they pursue.
sealelement
i kind of agree with yrr; it kind of just varies from issue to issue for me. i mean, if you're too strict with how ~problematic~ you allow your creators or authors to be, you sort of limit yourself from enjoying a lot of cool stuff that's out there imo.

in the case of hat in time, i'd probably be more encouraged to avoid the game because of the kind of stuff you guys have said the creator has pulled in the past; that being said, i don't see anything wrong with people who are uncomfortable with the game specifically due to jontron, nor do i see anything wrong with the people who like the game despite jontron being in.

i mean, like, i guess you could argue that there might be nasty nazi people who specifically buy the game because jontron is still in, but i don't know how many people would really be interested in trying to make a hat in time their political statement like that.
100% pure gamer 100%
Spritanium
I don't think very many nasty nazi people look at Jontron of all people as an influence
[Image: supercorrect.png]
God

Let me tell you in on and little secret.

I am on THE POWER OF THE LORD JESUS HRISTC. i dodnt fuck with any of those "street Drugs" or insugnificant things lyke Waluigis foresokin. Theres ore to lyf tha whether or npt you're usijgna PLASTIC BAG or a BROW NAPEPR BAG. and i will simply Not Tllerate anyone's behaivour who doesn,t wear a tie to work. It was a hard choice between my Denma Magic Wand and the Hand of God but i haven't looked back, and now I NEVER POST WITHOUT THE FATEHR BY MY SODE.

Tip numher 1
DRINK GREEN TEA. and the n eta the leaves at e end to consume tge soul of tge plant.

Tip numer 2
VARY YOUR VREAKFAST BETWEEN CERELA AND CHEESE ON TOAST. yeah i didnt expect this thone to work either but there yoy have it. Take It Or LeavE 85

Tip number three
STOP PUTTING YOYR WANK TISSUES IN THAT PLASTIC BAG YOU CALL YOUR "BEDSIDE BIN". maybe you xant smell it but otters certianly cak. It isnt ghat hard to just flushnit down the tiuelt.

Fllllw these rules and you'l be well onnykur way to becoming a GreTa Psoter.

[Image: 9xORW8i.png]
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED