Do you know what's the dumbest fuckijng invention in the world?

God
Cars.

What a fucking stupid idea.

so basically you want to make a million cars that are all going in the same direction and almost oall of them carry only one person but have four seats??????? so lyk u jus end up making this gay ass fucking traffic jam which is slower than walking and also destroys the planet in the process? what the fuck!!!!!!! lyk literally if we had useful ways of sharing transport we could get by with like a third of the cars on the road we have now. fuck.

also FUCK PEOPLE WHO TURN THEIR CARS ON JUST TO USE THEIR AIR CON. lyk even before the whole CO2 emissions, cars are just this big hot pile of shit. stop using your car as a glorified hand fan and buy a god-damn hand fan.

also lyk bro if we didnt hav cars nd just made actual livable communities then u could just walk/cycle everywhere anyway and we could then use all the labour for making cars and invest it in PUBLIC TRANSPORT that can satisfy the needs of everyone. holy fuck!!!!
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
EH2
100% agree.
Mario
i remember making a blog post just like this when i was like 12. never changed my mind on the issue LOL

now that I live in a city with reasonable public transport i gotta say, its hella good and could be a lot better if people spent even a quarter of what they did on cars on transport in their own community but that's Communism
Pedigree
I wouldn't mind if public transportation was the only transportation, more funds to improve it of course
Mario
my mature adult opinion is i cant imagine a world where im spending time driving when instead i could be reading forum posts
God
(Oct 6, 2017 at 5:21 AM)Mario Wrote: i remember making a blog post just like this when i was like 12. never changed my mind on the issue LOL

now that I live in a city with reasonable public transport i gotta say, its hella good and could be a lot better if people spent even a quarter of what they did on cars on transport in their own community but that's Communism

if ur this Enlightened now i can only imagine how Enlightened you were when u were 12, and i am hpnoured to be echoijbg your childhood snetiments
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Spritanium
Trains were a great idea, terrible for the environment but that's since been improved, unfortunately city/town planners decided to go for the "build things really fucking far away from each other" route which makes cars necessary

And now we're going to have self-driving cars which follow and take cues from each other, basically like a train lol

The traffic jam problem is only in big cities though, I've always lived in suburbs and even when there's traffic driving is much, much faster than walking

Traffic jams in cities are an anomaly, everybody walks or takes a cab, so what the fuck is anybody else doing on the road? Just trying to leave but cursed to drive around this grid for weeks trying to find the freeway entrance?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
i hate driving and i hate public transport and so i just walk places as much as i can

luckily where i live everything is relatively close
EH2
The problem of living in a city where having a car is a symbol of status, worth as a worker, and worth as a person overall, is that even though there's an issue with there being too many cars for transport on the streets to even be possible, people are all still living, working, and dying to get a car themselves

and in my city classism also runs rampant, the idea that public transport is "for the poor" and the idea that "the poor" are in their situation for a lack of virtues results (among other many issues) in people that own cars behaving in a very aggressive and disdainful way towards public transport - cutting them off, speeding up so as to overcome buses, not allowing them to cross on areas without traffic lights, shouting profanities and demeaning bus drivers from their car window, et cetera

And the biggest problem of them all is that these are issues that no one cares about because whoever tries to highlight them gets told 2 things:

1. "This is not an issue for car owners"
2. "And, by the way, stop being a dumbass and get a car this instant"

EDIT: and don't even get me started on walking, bicycles, motorcycles, and other forms of transport that aren't self-owned cars; which a lot of people in my city have asked for banning altogether
Draku
(Oct 6, 2017 at 3:45 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Trains were a great idea, terrible for the environment but that's since been improved, unfortunately city/town planners decided to go for the "build things really fucking far away from each other" route which makes cars necessary
yeah this

it sucks because when you go to japan or something and experience how damn good the public transit is itll just make you upset that it isnt a regular thing where you live. japan is like the perfect place for public transit tho, small as fuck and all lol.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
On the topic of dumb inventions though, I definitely think the self-twirling spaghetti fork is worse than cars
Yrrzy
(Oct 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM)Spritanium Wrote: On the topic of dumb inventions though, I definitely think the self-twirling spaghetti fork is worse than cars

inventions like that were invented for disabled and elderly people who have difficulty doing those things themselves
Spritanium
(Oct 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM)Yrrzy Wrote:
(Oct 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM)Spritanium Wrote: On the topic of dumb inventions though, I definitely think the self-twirling spaghetti fork is worse than cars

inventions like that were invented for disabled and elderly people who have difficulty doing those things themselves

Marketing it as a novelty gift was the dumb idea then
Yrrzy
ofc, but they have to market it at able-bodied people to get it approved for funding, which sucks and leads to all those dumb "does this happen to you" infomercials
Yrrzy
the necessity of marketing things like that is why that entire field of inventions are ridiculed despite genuinely helping the lives of disabled people
Mario
oh yeah this thread reminds me of this article:

Why even driving through suburbia is soul crushing

Quote:Far from posing a mere logistical or aesthetic problem, it shapes–or perhaps more accurately, it circumscribes–our experience of life and our social relationships in insidious ways. The destruction of the pedestrian public realm is not merely an economic or ecological absurdity; it has real deleterious effects. For just one small example of many: life in a subdivision cul-de-sac keeps children from exploring and becoming conversant with the wider world around them, because it tethers their social lives and activities to their busy parents’ willingness to drive them somewhere. There’s literally nowhere for them to go. The spontaneity of childhood in the courtyard, on the street, or in the square gives way to the managed, curated, prearranged “play-date.” Small wonder that kids retreat within the four walls of their house and lead increasingly electronic lives. (The virtues of a private backyard are easily exaggerated; it’s vacuous and isolated, and kids quickly outgrow it.)

(this is literally just the second paragraph, i recommend reading the entire thing)

Draku
that excerpt implies that modern kids would be allowed to go anywhere if their parents didnt come with them lmao
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
yeah suburban parents are wild lmao. "we gotta live in the 'safest' community possible!!! also im terrified of my kids ever going outside"
Mario
oh yeah there's a good history of how the automobile industry changed how we use roads too. basically cars fucked us forever
Mario
also reminds me about this article about Cincinatti's unfinished subway system- not destroyed by cars or anything but very interesting read related to public transport