Mario
I can't share communities without sharing the one I was banned for 10 years from.

[Image: Gx56LqU.png]

Jcink.com Forums has a pretty solid lore. Apparently founded in 1999, Jcink.com's earliest archive.org page is up here from 2002. It was a goofy personal website with a load of different content mainly based on video games and computer help. It won a Golden Web Award, apparently (though maybe this was some deep joke about how easy it was to put an image like that on your site? lol). John, who used to go by Jcink, is the owner and has been there since the beginning. The name Jcink comes from the owners initials (coincidentally shared with Jesus Christ), and a mispelling of "Inc."; basically it should have been "JC, Inc." but John was a silly child when he founded the site and the name stuck- it's a pretty catchy and easy to remember name though, so it's a blessing in disguise. "JC, Inc." sounds like some weird christian site LOL

Anyway as time went on John learned a lot more technology and started building his own software. The most notable projects were PHP Quick Arcade, which was more or less like a standalone version of the IPB ProArcade plugin- basically a high score table for flash games. It also included a shoutbox which was pretty popular to embed on forums. Another project was his custom forum software; I can't remember the name of it but it was built without using a database, so it was good for hosting environments that didn't allow that. In addition to building his own software, John eventually figured out he had to resources to host his own server and not rely on weird hosts- he'd been jumping around hosts for years, most notable is the original Angelfire site and then a sketchy Russian site called 3x.ro. 3x.ro shut him down for no reason once and enough was enough.

When John hosted his own stuff, he decided to get into the web hosting business himself. It didn't last too long, but he realized there was something easier that he could do much better than competitors: forum hosting. Forum hosting has become the main focus of Jcink.com, and I can honestly say it's one of the best forum hosts around. It's based on the IPB 1.3 software, which was released in 2004- MFGG ran off of it for its mfgg.taloncrossing.com forum. It's honestly one of the best pieces of forum software ever made, so we're really blessed someone keeps updating it for their host, which is possible due to a weird licensing clause- its not open source and you're not allowed to distribute it, but for some reason you can run it as a host. It definitely shows its age but Jcink is always improving it and adding features- it has a mobile skin and recently Jcink even added HTTPS support to all his boards (a must in 2017). Basically if you want to host a forum in 2017 and have no money, I'd recommend this.

Although the history of the website eventually came to fourms, the forum has its own bit of history. It started on ezboard, much like the MFGG forums. Instead of red and yellow it was blue and yellow (kind of like how MFGG is now LOL), and it kept that same kind of theme with updates for a long time. It moved to InvisionFree when the time came and was on some form of IPB 1.3 for years. Eventually it tried out phpBB while it had a different forum for its PHPQuickArcade software, and phpBB fucking sucked so the forums merged and went back to IPB 1.3. It's been on its current iteration since around 2006.

Anyway that's enough lore about the board and here's some Lore of MFGG's history with Jcink and also me. John and his brother (who went by Jeff Ollyo and Super Makar) were MFGG members early on. I don't know too much of their history there but apparently they weren't well-liked and the only notable incident is when John posted a candle by Jeff Ollyo for 9/11 in 2003. I have the candle here: [Image: vEJ4C4j.gif] - it was something like, post this anywhere you can so you show that you too will Never Forget. Someone on MFGG or Minus World made a variant where the candle base was a building, but I don't have that version anymore. I first ran into John on the Zelda Fan Game Network forums, and eventually started hanging out on his forums from there. The Jcink.com forum was my prime hang-out back in the day. It's even the first place I became Comrade Kesha, when I protested John's crackdown on spam posts. I even became a Forum Moderator for a year or two on there. Anyway I wasn't too Great of a person back then so I pissed of John after searching for his Real Name (originally a forbidden secret but now he uses it openly) and got banned Forever. Sometime last year I got in touch with him and got unbanned, but it's primarily a support board now.

It's a support board now. It kept its community aspect until pretty recently where there was a kind of SPLIT just like MW lore, but not exactly the way it went. Basically John's longtime friends all abandoned ship at the same time (I couldn't tell you why, I wasn't there at the time). Not too long after John's new staff member (and girlfriend I guess?) wanted to create a forum to focus on Forum RPG Purposes, since apparently forum hosts are really popular for RPG forums (would explain why the killing game is so popular here too). For whatever reason this had to be a new board and it was decided all the community stuff would be over there. this forum is over at rpg-resources.com, it's honestly ugly (though admittedly i am Picky about forum skins) and I don't get along with the admin so I wouldn't step foot in it. (its actually not the first separate resource board John has had ran by someone else, there was an earlier one and it too was run by someone with a taste for skins that are painful to look at)

So basically there's no community any more But if you want to make your own community this is the place I recommend to start with. If you get big and its worth investing time and money into, there may be better options, but Jcink's IPB 1.3 hosting is not only the best Free option but it's really easy to use. Unfortunately there's not much of a directory for discovering communities, so my job of finding new communities isn't going to be helped much by this.

Spritanium
IPB is definitely solid, it's aged like a classic NES game, you can tell it's old but it still holds up
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Mario
I wonder if it's even possible to get it up and running on a modern system yourself these days. There used to be a weird german forum that had the update guides for it- no idea if that's even still around. Jcink's software may be the only way to experience IPB 1.3 in the current era without running really old insecure software lol
Mario
(Oct 10, 2017 at 6:06 PM)Mario Wrote: I wonder if it's even possible to get it up and running on a modern system yourself these days. There used to be a weird german forum that had the update guides for it- no idea if that's even still around. Jcink's software may be the only way to experience IPB 1.3 in the current era without running really old insecure software lol

I've done some investigating and the update place was IBForen.de. The latest archive of the site is from 2012, past that it started either being outright down or a Server Test page or redirecting to this weird site, Wiki Wikia. IDK if it's even worth looking for the upgrade guides, vanilla 1.3 DEFINITELY shows its age, Jcink's updates might not make the board as cool as minus world but it's leagues of improvements over the original software. Even InvisionFree (if it's even still around) has plenty of qualify of life improvements over the original software.