Anonymous
so a place i go to has an irc channel, and some of us have moved on to discord, others remain on irc, and others use both

i'm one of the guys who uses both

but fuckin tbh some of the people who remain on irc have like a huge vendetta against discord and its honestly annoying as hell

like i kinda get why, discord was sorta forced on us by like the community admin via a server when none of the irc operators wanted it, but like their beef against it gets unreasonable at points and sometimes just feels like theyre hating on it for no real reason than just to hate on it

yes, theyve brought up valid concerns about discord, such as bans being far easier to circumvent and it generally encouraging more shitposting, but like fuckin tbh i just see it as another chat service people use and is active so why not have the best of both worlds

i just

i dont understand why this has led to strife among those irc guys and discord people

i see a lot of the irc guys make fun of the discord-only people and insult them, and conversely i see a lot of discord-only people shit on irc for reasons like it being too simple and whatever

why does there even have to be fucking drama about this dear god why cant these just coexist and we can be done

this has been bothering me for a long time now and i just want it to stop, i just want the community to like get along and not shit on each other because they use different ways to communicate with one another, i dont understand what's so damn difficult about just using discord from the irc guys and i dont understand why the discord people dont want to deal with irc anymore

sigh
Anonymous

>irc-users being babies because their shit that requires a super-shit client to be run on top of everything else is finally getting its ass replaced by a great client that people will have running anyways

very surprising
Anonymous

>discord users being babies because other people arent on board with the shiny new thing that eats bandwidth and goes down all the time

very surprising
Anonymous
i have clients for both running anyway cause of other communities so i dont give a shit lmao
Anonymous
forcing a community to move kinda sucks tho unless not moving is actively hurting it
Anonymous
op here

it was never exactly "forced", at least not by the site admin, but he made it anyway in spite of the chat ops being against it which is what made some of them mad and against discord in the first place

the admin never fully replaced irc with the discord. he never removed the irc link and only kept advertising of the discord limited, i.e. no public invite.

like i get why the chat ops would be against it because if i was in their position i'd be a bit miffed too but like i feel like this has gone on far too long, especially when you consider that this originally happened in the beginning of april lol,,,,
Anonymous

> using an ancient outdated chat protocol

I have a solution guys let's all just hook up on AIM
Anonymous
ITT "nothing should ever be updated unless it becomes completely unusable, convenience and features be damned"

If discord uses too much bandwidth for you then you should take the plunge and upgrade your dialup connection
Anonymous
discord doesnt take up too much bandwidth but it doesnt take much to lose connection with it, while irc stays connected in super low-bandwidth situations

imo it just comes down to personal preference but when everyone abandons your favourite hangout spot for a newer one you arent fond of i understand why people feel like theyre being forced to move
Anonymous
I hope we're all ready to leave Discord the instant a competitor appears offering smth new
Anonymous
I agree. Community IS a bad show.
Anonymous
i dont get what the problem is, i thought the only reason people use irc anyway is because they all want to be this guy?

[Image: team_chat_2x.png]
Anonymous
i think the irc thing is just, it works and means we dont have to keep switching platforms every time theres a new one
Anonymous
It'd help if important discussions weren't also being held exclusively on discord most of the time, so that when a change rolls out 75% of the staff is left in the dark due to 3 people discussing it on a channel at 4 in the morning, or just flat out not discussing it in public at all
Anonymous
probably an issue with the administration instead of discord itself but im still working on separating justified anger towards it from unjustified anger
Anonymous

>>discord users being babies because other people arent on board with the shiny new thing that eats bandwidth and goes down all the time

hey.

netsplit

:^)
Anonymous

>not knowing how to connect to another server

Anonymous
lol discord shits itself way more frequently than irc netsplits and you can still talk to some people during a netsplit
Anonymous
IRC bothers me because my connection is unstable and jumps out a lot and causes errors where I have to change my fucking nickname because a ghost of my old presence lingers for fucking ever after I rejoin

I'll take discord any day
Anonymous
discord bothers me cause when my connection dips irc stays connected but discord just decides i cant send messages for a while