Fim
It seems everyone agrees Ricco harbor is one of the best 3d mario levels, but what about the rest? And what are some of the worst (Wet-Dry World, pinna park smh).

Also I'm getting real sick and tired of mario levels being islands floating in a void. It just feels better when they're actually part of a larger world.
Spritanium
Noki Bay is nice, it has some good platforming with a lot of secrets and it's just beautiful

And I like pinna park Wat it has that one annoying part when you're supposed to climb up to the top, but it's easily bypassed

Generally the levels in sunshine are very well thought out and fun to hang out in. A few from 64 are really lazy though, particularly Rainbow Ride. Aren't there like 5 courses they had to cut from the game due to space limitations? How was rainbow ride one of the ones that stayed?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
New Donk City from Odyssey is easily one of the most enjoyable levels in a 3D Mario. I’ve been saying for years that a city environment would lend itself well to Mario’s abilities and what do you know, it did. Lots of verticality with parallel buildings to wall jump between, high rooftops to long jump across, scaffolding to climb, it was executed as well as I had hoped.

People who compare Odyssey to Sonic Adventure due to surface level similarities honestly need the shit kicked out of them, as if Sonic existing alongside humans was the catalyst of its mediocrity.
T-man
(Dec 2, 2017 at 7:51 AM)FimbulK Wrote: Also I'm getting real sick and tired of mario levels being islands floating in a void. It just feels better when they're actually part of a larger world.
This shit really chaps my ass too. The main reason I dislike (or perhaps more accurately don't prefer) 3D Land and 3D World is because of how artificial they feel, and the "islands floating in the void" is a big reason why it feels that way.

[Image: a0rDCqB.jpg]

Odyssey goes a long way with contextualizing it's segmented levels within a greater, living world. Like the Wooded Kingdom taking place in a biodome in a snowy mountain range.

[Image: DG26mlXVoAAJFT2.jpg:large]

I wish I could find more examples, as there are plenty, but it turns out a lot of people don't go to the edge of a level and take pictures of the skybox. Admittedly several levels merely feature a chasm between the level and the background scenery but it's still a lot better than random shit floating in the sky.