Touhou Review #14 (Ojou-sama no DokiDoki Daisakusen)

Superchao
It's the last day of Touhou reviews. It's been a surprisingly quick two weeks, hasn't it? And so, we close out the way we started - with me reviewing a game by BlueMica.

[Image: kH9SZIc.png]

RemiDoki (the short name for this game because screw copypasting the full name) is a Touhou platformer about Remilia. Unsurprisingly. She and everyone else in the mansion have been chibified, resulting in an adventure to discover the source of the chibi forms and return everyone to their true forms. Gameplay involves running around as Remilia and collecting keys to open her way through the mansion, as well as accessories to equip and give her power, and even a couple new abilities as she goes. It's too linear to be called a Metroidvania, but it feels like one somehow? Especially when the upper floors result in a nonlinear segment about finding six keys at the same time. Most of the gameplay involves defeating every enemy in a room, but there are also puzzles requiring you to let certain enemies go to the right locations, or hitting eight blocks in a do-re-mi sequence to open a door.

[Image: 30g8eXB.png]

Like the previous BlueMica game (Code R), they packed in an extensive amount of content. The main one is Flandre Mode, unlocked after beating Remilia Mode. Similarly to Marisa Mode in Code R, Flandre Mode has a truncated version of the mansion (although with a few entirely new sections, such as B3F and Patchouli's Room), upgraded difficulty, and a generally different plotline and order of the same rooms. Even the rooms themselves are totally overhauled to accommodate, with new puzzles and changed puzzles. Flandre Mode is practically an entirely different game thanks to it!

[Image: I6JGt7W.png]

Of course, this is BlueMica. So there's even MORE on top of it! Once you've cleared Flandre Mode, you unlock the Clock Tower - a timed run up ten floors, where you seek to get the best time you can while handling either enemies or puzzles. Remilia Tower is more combat heavy, and Flandre Tower is just Remilia Tower with harder enemies. However, there's also a Yuyuko Tower, where you get to play as Yuyuko in a completely overhauled layout, far more puzzle centric. Just be careful - Yuyuko has a new boss on top of it, and they don't pull their punches! And on top of that, both the main game and the Clock Tower have a series of achievements.

[Image: mgodJtz.png]

Honestly, as much as I like talking about flaws, I gotta admit doing it here would be hard! It's not perfect - there are spots where it's possible to glitch yourself out of the area, and there are puzzles that just feel unfair on the first try - I can solve them all at this point. Plus, some of the lockouts in Flandre Mode almost feel arbitrary with the rooms you miss out on, and there's one accessory that really seems to be just a missing secret entirely, making it impossible to truly complete Flandre's accessory list. Yuyuko's boss fight is tough to practice, too... but I'm really just nitpicking, I feel.

[Image: Ych7Taz.png]

Look at Yuyuko, though. She's adorable.

THE VERDICT
Probably one of my favorite Touhou games ever, RemiDoki combines a good gameplay style with plenty of extra content, while lacking some of the issues I had with Code R. Remilia Mode is a good way to get into the game, Flandre Mode allows you to pick it up with extra difficulty, and the Clock Tower lets you test yourself with new challenges. I actually lost my entire save data for RemiDoki once in a computer transfer, and you know something? I barely even cared! It's fun enough that I enjoyed doing the whole thing over again! RemiDoki definitely earns 5 Reimus out of 5.

And so, fourteen days becomes fourteen reviews. The power of Touhou completes a garrison. I'm going to miss doing one of these daily, although I might do a couple on THE GOODS in the future. Thanks for tuning in, and remember: Play Touhou!