God
Cost: [X] XP. [X] must be greater than 100.

Effect: Target one player and choose a word. If that poster makes a post that contains that word, they lose [X] XP and you gain [X]*2 XP. You cannot pick words from Oxford's list of 100 most commonly used words, and you cannot pick a word that another member has already used in a previous successfully cast Word Siphon. You can only have one active Word Siphon at any time, but you can cancel your active Word Siphon (you do not get reimbursed if done five minutes after casting Word Siphon). The target knows that you have cast the spell but does not know which word you have chosen. The target does not absorb any XP you have spent on this spell.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Uniju
This is an interesting idea but it sounds like it could be hard countered by not posting, and I feel like getting away from the not posting-centric meta of old MW is one of the main goals of new MW.
Feeling down? You may already be a charge target.
God
(Sep 4, 2016 at 2:57 PM)Uniju Wrote: This is an interesting idea but it sounds like it could be hard countered by not posting, and I feel like getting away from the not posting-centric meta of old MW is one of the main goals of new MW.

people complain and say that lurkers need buffs. i suggest a buff for lurkers and then people complain. the devs just can't win, now i know how Jeff Kaplan feels.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Spritanium
I like the idea, it would fit in nicely with user-centric spells which should be coming soon. 100 exp is too much to siphon though. I'd say each occurrence of the word should siphon 10-25% of the exp you paid
[Image: supercorrect.png]
🍆 Lover
Can I put in their username? Carrot
[Image: diwiue.png]

still a cuck tho
God
(Sep 4, 2016 at 4:50 PM)I Want A Name Change Wrote: Can I put in their username? Carrot

yes, but you could only successfully do that once. and do people really type their own username that much?
kaZaam
fuq that sounds intense. idk if i like it yet
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
God
(Sep 4, 2016 at 4:45 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I like the idea, it would fit in nicely with user-centric spells which should be coming soon. 100 exp is too much to siphon though. I'd say each occurrence of the word should siphon 10-25% of the exp you paid

it should be a salt-inducing amount. i like the idea of getting punished for more instances of the same word, it's a great counter to longform posters like @Puddin who have had ults that have been an unchallenged feature of tier 1 meta for a ridiculously long time. perhaps upon casting, the target receives [x]/2.5, but loses [x]/1.5 for each instance of the word in their post. that way if they trigger the siphon with only one instance, the hit isn't too bad. but they get stung if the siphon caster has skilfully baited them into using the word more than once.
God
we can ramp up the disrespect by having a permanent effect given to a Siphon'd post. The chosen word can be highlighted in red with some fancy background or something, and at the bottom of the post thre is a phrase saying

"Y successfully used Word Siphon on this post. Z lost [X] XP for saying a [x] times!"
God
when we introduce Skill Branches, perhaps players choose the Heel Skill Branch get access to a buffed version of the spell, whereby they can target anyone posting in a targeted thread, rather than just target one person.
Yrrzy
would people know they've been siphoned and be able to react or would it be out of nowhere?
God
(Sep 4, 2016 at 6:03 PM)Yrr Wrote: would people know they've been siphoned and be able to react or would it be out of nowhere?

OP Wrote:The target knows that you have cast the spell but does not know which word you have chosen.

does this answer your question or did you mean something else?
Yrrzy
ah, yea

does seem like it encourages not posting
Yrrzy
(Sep 4, 2016 at 4:42 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: people complain and say that lurkers need buffs. i suggest a buff for lurkers and then people complain. the devs just can't win, now i know how Jeff Kaplan feels.

encouraging not posting isnt a buff to lurking, buffing lurking would be allowing a user to remain active in the community without needing to post

imo spells and ratings solve that already
God
(that post was a joke.)

also i really highly doubt people would actually not post because of this. but if people do decide to turtle because of it, it only adds an extra tek for players who want to use their spells to control the flow of the conversation. if i recall correctly, there was talks of there being an option to disable spells anyway (i dont know if that was implemented).
Shroomguy
It was. You can disable them, at least I saw the option to
The Beef Baron
God
also there's just so many easy workarounds to this spell. if you think you're being baited into using a particular word, you can just use a synonym or misspell it (which would give a good buff to my patented rapid-type posting style and potentially encourage other players to try it out).
God
like if you're on point with your footsies game there should be no reason for this spell to ever successfully connect
kaZaam
welb. im convincd
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]