so when exactly did nintendo give dk nostils

T-man
we all know and love donkey kong and whether or not we acknowledge it, one of his more questionable design elements were his nose... holes

[Image: ZQ8oKq1.gif]

im not sure when exactly it happened, but nintendo seems to have altered donkey kong's nose in recent appearances

[Image: 1e9e8bd599cd039e9c8cc78ee259a8ed.png]

other whizkids might notice these nostrils look a lot like miyamoto's old donkey kong redesign sketch

[Image: Bi0De00.png]

does anyone know when exactly they made the switch? does anyone prefer the drill holes?
Uniju
i realize this thread may not be 100% sincere and you may have already found the answer already considering it only takes a few minutes of research but personally i'm fairly invested in this and i would like to show my several minutes worth of findings
[Image: Donkey_Kong_Artwork_-_Donkey_Kong_Countr...Freeze.png] tropical freeze, february 2014, still has textured nostrils
[Image: DKC-TF_box.jpeg]HOWEVER, on a different piece of art, it's clear that they're toying with the idea of adding depth
[Image: Donkey_Kong_Artwork_-_Mario_Golf_World_Tour.png] mario golf world tour, may 1 2014 in japan(earliest), may 3 2014 in australia(latest), continues to have textured nostrils
[Image: Donkey_Kong_Artwork_-_Mario_Kart_8.png] mario kart 8, may 29 2014 in japan(earliest), has polygonal nostrils
thus the change occurred between may 3 and may 29 2014
obviously these games' developments overlapped which means there may have been multiple donkey kong designs in use by different developers at the same time and knowing exactly when one was introduced and when the final use of the other was may never be possible but i think it's adequate to consider release dates to define the canonical chronology of donkey kong's design
Feeling down? You may already be a charge target.
T-man
I assure you this thread was very sincere and I appreciate your research. It’s clear by looking at the rerelease of Tropical Freeze that there’s been some variation in how DK with nostrils is portrayed even in 2018. See Retro’s mildly upsetting realistic gorilla-like portrayal.

[Image: COqFfAL.jpg]
God
Ok so Basically Here's the Deal: Here's my theory:

Shigeru Miyamoto, inventor of the Mario and other loveable characters such as Red Luigi, was on the phone to Reggie Feels Anime one day, and he said:

「あのさ、ちょっと突然だけど、レッジーくんの事が好きなの。ずっとそう。だから、もし同じような気持ちがあれば、つっ…つつ付き合ってください!」

Which roughly translates into the following:

"OK SO Come here ya punk, let me tell you something - DO NOT FUCK UP THE E3 PRESENTATION. if you do then I will put nostrils on the Donkey Kong.

Now, Reggie Fils-Aime was naturally DISGUSTED with such an emotional display of feelings, and he respended:

「俺の体は準備できてるぞ。。。」

MEANING:

"Well, I've always wanted to see Donkey Kong with nostrils....."

The Rest Is History
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Yrrzy
im glad we got to the bottom of this good work mw