Mario
[deleted]
Shedinja
I fucked up and got it when I already have the android module. gonna see if i can do tradesies for when this deal is gone for everything short of the ios module
[Image: vI6LrbC.gif]
T-man
Finally, I can rock the game industry to it's core with my retro pixel platformer!
geno7
(Sep 7, 2016 at 7:54 AM)T-man Wrote: Finally, I can rock the game industry to it's core with my retro pixel platformer!

look out world, its time for me to begin development on my revolutionary new game Retro Pixelated Video Game Like From When I Was A Kid Growing Up In The 80s to Early 90s®
[Image: fsMwICg.gif]
Spritanium
(Sep 7, 2016 at 7:54 AM)T-man Wrote: Finally, I can rock the game industry to it's core with my retro pixel platformer!

> HD screens become cheap and mainstream

> Game devs switch back to pixel graphics

It's like none of these devs realize the only reason sprites exist is out of necessity

If game devs in the 80s had 1080p screens and faster hardware, they wouldn't have made all the drawings blocky

You're not even supposed to notice that something is a sprite, because it's supposed to be displayed on such a tiny + low res screen that it just looks like a tiny drawing

Every indie game I own uses sprites and each pixel is probably like 5px in actuality. The Binding of Isaac was a nice vector flash game and it got completely redone to use sprites. Literally no reason to do this, even the aesthetic is getting old by this point
Spritanium
More on topic: is game maker any better than it was in 2008? Can it be used for anything other than sprite-based sidescrollers these days? Not planning anything but maybe I'll try my hand if we end up doing minigame comps again.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Beako
Thanks for letting me know about this @Gato and @wtl and @Two_Finger

Mixed blessing. I wasted $75 over the summer on the professional license with only Windows export since everything was 50% off for the summer sale. I couldn't afford to buy the individual modules at $150 a pop by the time the summer sale ended so I figure I'd be paying $300 a module every couple months until I had them all. Then as soon as the summer sale ends this happens.

It was worth the $15 I guess. Now I have all the modules and two Game Maker Studio Professional Licenses. That $75 was a waste of money but whatever. Can't predict the future. At least I have all the modules now.

Gonna probably start with a few free arcade-esque games and then make a few at 99 cents a pop on the iTunes and Google Play stores. Maybe at some point I'll work toward making a larger games but I don't expect to make a living off this in the slightest. Doing my own taxes is going to be interesting though. "Dear IRS: This year I spent $90 on game development software and 3 people bought a 99 cent game."

I've seen some videos on the subject of doing your own taxes from the Nostalgia Chick (although what she does is movie critiquing; not game design) so I'll be sure to have all the proper tax forms and do this over the table. I wonder if I have to register a cooperation somehow or if I can just use my full name as the company name?

I'm going to look into public domain music/sprites/sfx (and possibiliy commission for resources I can't find) and 16 bit era games are what I'm going for. Who cares what other people think about retro games? If you don't like it, don't buy my games. I like retro games and so do other people. If anything, I encourage people to leave this market out of fear of being cringey. More money for me.

Oh and no ripoff Mario/parody/etc games. Fuck that, not gonna mess with copyright bullshit. All assets in my games are going to be public domain or resources I pay money for.

All in all I'll at least be a step above those weird bootleg baby Frozen dentist games. I put a lot of effort into polishing my work and making sure it doesn't have any glitches.
DrTapeworm
it's funny because the original binding of isaac was ugly as sin (no pun intended)
[Image: dinogunz.png]
T-man
Yeah, the flash game aesthetic is not much better than the pixel aesthetic.
Yrrzy
I rly think good pixelart looks neat and maybe better than vector shit

Idk why people think smooth flash vector shit and low res low poly 3d look better than sprites, sprites are just a neat aesthetic overall especially if done right

now, retro for retro's sake on the other hand, that looks kinda shit, especially the VVVVVV kinda weird square-y shit

games like Hyper Light Drifter that use pixelart and own the style are great imo
Yoshin
Vx6 was trying to look like an Atari 2600 game iirc
Which naturally is all blocky
kaZaam
i like when games take a style like 8bit or w.e limitation and actually commit to it and really recreate the feel of w.e console. i think the problem is that a lot of the times it feels really halfassed so you end up with ugly juxtaposed stylistic decisions. shovel knight comes to mind tbh
kaZaam
https://www.locomalito.com/abbaye_des_morts.php now this is a good example
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Mario
[deleted]
Stirling
u thyink shovel knight is inconsistent kazaam?

on a technical level it's pretty close to NES limitations excusing things that are impeding conveyance, and i don't recall on either shovel or plague something being out of place
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
kaZaam
[Image: d625158b11bb0ebe684159ad59bc582e_large.png]right.

if you want to limit your artstyle but don't want to deal with working around it to get what you want then mayb just don't limit your artstyle
kaZaam
but the thing is some areas do look genuine nes but that just makes areas like that look worse
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Draku
Yeah Shovel Knight's artstyle is bizarre. Sometimes they're totally cool with going with the limitations of the past with a slightly enhanced palette, but other times they don't give a single fuck and just vaguely make something resemble the idea of the style.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Sep 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM)Yrr Wrote: I rly think good pixelart looks neat and maybe better than vector shit

Idk why people think smooth flash vector shit and low res low poly 3d look better than sprites, sprites are just a neat aesthetic overall especially if done right

now, retro for retro's sake on the other hand, that looks kinda shit, especially the VVVVVV kinda weird square-y shit

games like Hyper Light Drifter that use pixelart and own the style are great imo

There are always exceptions but the surpluss of shitty-looking sprite-based indie games have really soured sprites as a general art direction.
Yrrzy
oh yea no totally, theres a lot of games that just look awful using it

but it is my favourite medium for game art and i dont wanna see it die, i much prefer good pixelart to low-poly 3d or simplistic vectord