Aidan

>That's in the main games too, but it's much harder to get a hold of and is a postgame-only item even though you can get a limitless amount (with a lot of effort).

Shit I think I explained that wrong. Reborn has ability capsules like the main games, but they pop up pretty frequently and they work on hidden abilities too. You can also trade shards for them a bit later in the game. I was glad that I can change my starter's ability right near the beginning of the game instead of having to beat it or go through some arcane website tie-in.

>I agree with you that this battle seems like it would have been way harder if it hadn't been doubles, but that's probably why it was, because that tier of boosting moves without the ability to double attack a mon sounds even more ridiculous.

It seems like it's tuned to be right on the edge of impossible and doable. This terrain doesn't appear anywhere else afaik and you can't cause it with moves. I could at least beat the Gardevoir fairly consistently, but it would be costly enough that I'd lose on the next mon.
They might tune it in a later update, but right now it looks like they coded it just for this gym.
Draku
Yeah my next sentence after pointing it out was saying that it's good that they made it easily available in the main story rather than keep it to postgame. Also, the fact that it works on HAs is great because fuck that it doesn't in the real games.

Ah, that makes sense. It'd be insanely broken if it was used anywhere else.
[Image: 11lrfxl.jpg]
Aidan

[Image: i1fiF7A.png]
Up next on Erica's hitlist is the Dark Dreamer LUNA. Big fucking surprise: she uses dark types. Luna is the maid of the chess guy I just fought, but due to story complications and contrived bullshit I had to wander through magic reality warping caves before she would battle me. At least they mix things up each gym?
LUNA's dialogue is written like an early 2000s metal song and she appears to like Pokémon more than people. Normally I'd call the game out for being edgy, but I've met people exactly like this in real life so I'm saying props for writing believable characters.

[Image: 6XmT74T.png]
The dark crystal cavern is basically a combination of caves, crystal terrain and the dark terrain from the ghost gym battle. As a result, it affects a shitload of moves from a variety of types. Anything vaguely to do with light, beams or lasers gets boosted by the crystals; anything to do with darkness or shadows gets boosted from the darkness, moon effects are boosted and sun effects are weakened, the list goes on. Overall it isn't very complicated, it just makes damage generally much higher.

[Image: gQkSLx2.png]
Some of LUNA's Pokeys can easily sweep more than half my team if I let them, so I had some strategies refined to turn-by-turn solutions. Desset is the solution to this Absol, White Rabbit. Keeping with the edgy preteen theme, LUNA names her Pokémon after characters from Alice in Wonderland and its related works. I actually really like that her whole team is named, and I wish Pokémon did that more often.
White Rabbit always boosts his attack first turn, giving Desset a chance to lower his special defense. Then about 90% of the time, he spends his second turn using a triply boosted night slash, which Desset tanks. The other 10%, he uses play rough and I have to soft reset the game.
Sad

[Image: UFfkY4V.png]
We were in the lucky 90% this time, and one good draining kiss finishes off White Rabbit.

[Image: W9nXRKm.png]
So early in the game, there's a sidequest where you get a random egg. Mine just happened to have this monster inside, and I left him in the daycare until his time came. Now is the time.
But he hasn't fought many battles so his attack is too low to one shot this fucking bird. If I let Jubjub start getting kills, moxie will boost his damage to fuckhuge levels and I basically autolose. Burning through a dragon gem takes care of that and saves me a couple hours of EV training.

[Image: 4aGvNAb.png]
Normally this match-up would be way in Knave's favor, being an ice type against Gojira the dragon. But the AI always starts with power-up punch for some reason? A lot of gym leaders are programmed to always set up on their first turn, and you can easily abuse that to fuck shit up.

[Image: HT6PHCz.png]
Or come close to fucking shit up only to get stymied by a focus sash. I was going to dump a sash on one of my Mons and abuse some stupid mechanic like throwing out a move that does more damage the less health you have, but I apparently lost it? At this point I'm pretty sure I traded it to an NPC.

[Image: 0dEIBdS.png]
For whatever reason, Slimer takes hits really fucking well. I send him out to finish off the Knave. Earthquake also destroys the crystals, turning the terrain into a regular cave and preventing LUNA from abusing 1.5x night slash for the rest of the battle! You could also use sunny day to turn it into a regular crystal cavern, but she'd just use dark pulse to turn it right back, and sunny day blows anyway.

[Image: YUFt3KL.png]
Here comes THE BANDERSNATCH
Evil
Actually he's not that tough. I use counter here since he takes quad damage from fighting type moves, but I'm a dumbass and counter ignores typing! Fuck! It's still comically strong, and Gojira ends the 'snatch next turn.

[Image: QOeigrl.png]
I leave Gojira in even though none of his moves are particularly good against Mr. Carpenter. The Carpenter is mentioned in one page of Through the Looking Glass. That's fine, but why wouldn't you name Bisharp after one of the chess pieces?
Also his head is sharp and it hurts to touch

[Image: 9iPiugi.png]
He fucks up Gojira, so Lonely comes in to clean up. This time I pick a move that can, in fact, be super effective, and abuse that 4x weakness for a quick kill.

[Image: lsspUd7.png]
Last up is LUNA's Umbreon, Cheshire. Are Umbreons supposed to be cats? The Eevees looked more like foxes to me.
Since the terrain is blown the fuck up and Desset resists dark, there's not much Chesire can do. He opens with his best option, Toxic. Now I have something of a timer before Desset goes down. My guess is that they wanted some poison move to help him against fairies, but the only one he can learn doesn't do damage. Oops!

[Image: Iqk0LQU.png]
Incidentally, I'm shit at video games and the whole rest of the team went down. I won't bother describing how it happened other than attributing it to general incompetence. It all rests on this cupcake's shoulders.

[Image: IjRP8Rp.png]
The following nine turn one-on-one is a pretty dumb war of attrition. Cheshire has leftovers and spams moonlight whenever his health gets low, throwing out a dark pulse on the off-turns. In the dark, moonlight heals for 75%, so I'm really fucking glad I could break the terrain early on. And LUNA has three ultra potions. I have no idea how the fuck you would do this without a fairy and an earthquake user.

[Image: aiSqc1a.png]
Eventually, Cheshire gets brought to -6 special defense, where Desset's is finally able to do damage that he can't heal back. The poison damage does stack up pretty high over time, but draining kiss way outpaces it.

[Image: 8RIMSAy.png]
"...tarnished, your soul shines with hope. I bid you farewell."
Why the fuck do you talk like this oh my god

[Image: psNfKSg.png]
Thanks for the badge, please don't ever interact with me again! She also gives us the TM for dark pulse. I have no use for it in battle, but there's actually a sidequest that requires you to turn a crystal cavern into a dark crystal cavern, so I'll have to teach it to some otherwise worthless fuckboy for completion's sake.
No idea what's up next, but my team is pretty stacked at this point so I'm not too worried.
Cool
Draku
The AiW naming scheme is cute but knowing that it's on a pretentious character's team makes it turn around and be annoying instead. Dang. If the AI's so prone to boosting, this game might be easier than I thought, since being able to predict boosts makes fights way, way easier. A random Haxorus egg? Talk about convenient.

>I was going to dump a sash on one of my Mons and abuse some stupid mechanic like throwing out a move that does more damage the less health you have, but I apparently lost it?

It's a one use item, you probably already triggered it earlier and it's gone now.

>I use counter here since he takes quad damage from fighting type moves, but I'm a dumbass and counter ignores typing!

You absolute buffoon.

I see that fighting Umbreon here is exactly as exciting as it is in competitive. That thing is a total bastard to take down before the heat death of the universe.
Aidan

(Aug 9, 2019 at 4:12 AM)Draku Wrote:
The AiW naming scheme is cute but knowing that it's on a pretentious character's team makes it turn around and be annoying instead. Dang. If the AI's so prone to boosting, this game might be easier than I thought, since being able to predict boosts makes fights way, way easier. A random Haxorus egg? Talk about convenient.

>I was going to dump a sash on one of my Mons and abuse some stupid mechanic like throwing out a move that does more damage the less health you have, but I apparently lost it?

It's a one use item, you probably already triggered it earlier and it's gone now.

>I use counter here since he takes quad damage from fighting type moves, but I'm a dumbass and counter ignores typing!

You absolute buffoon.

I see that fighting Umbreon here is exactly as exciting as it is in competitive. That thing is a total bastard to take down before the heat death of the universe.

Looks like knowing nothing about Pokémon is starting to fuck me over! Can't believe I exploded a focus sash that early. And why does counter even have a type if it ignores typing?

A few of the leaders have had really effective tanks. There was a Volbeat early on that absolutely would not die, but I didn't record it. Since then I've learned to abuse fake tears against them.

[Image: DuDo4lS.png]
There's like ten badges to go and I'm most of the way through the levelling curve, so here's three new leaders in the same building! You can also see Wasteland Punk AYA chilling on the couch.
Erica's next targets all moonlight as circus performers. One of them is so fucking awful she made me miss Dark Dreamer LUNA. We're up against the dude on the far left.

[Image: Me35tn3.png]
Big top terrain is really elaborate and interesting, but also pretty fucking stupid, just like a real circus. Using the dumbbell and high wires boosts literally dozens of moves of different types. Moves related to performing- think dances, encore, payday, sing - also get cute boosts, like spotlight buffing both combatants. Of course, since SAMSON uses fighting types, tons of fighting moves get boosted as well.
The old fighting gym leader didn't make me go through this much bullshit. Too bad she spontaneously caught a melodramatic anime illness one second before I got my badge.

[Image: pP6oA3C.png]
This motley crüe of dickkickers was carefully chosen to exploit all of SAMSON's weaknesses. Charlie Brown came along as a niche contingency, and I forgot to level him. Didn't end up needing him, but this probably would've taken much less attempts if I remembered
Facepalm

[Image: pgx79SD.png]
Anyway here's the prick's face! Strongman SAMSON looks like he'd struggle to lift a helium balloon, but what do I know. Maybe the Goku hair gives him saiyan strength.
He likes to switch fuckers in seemingly at random, so the fight can have very front-loaded difficulty. I've had his main shitfucker come in second and literally take out all six members of my team by himself. In response, I've set shit up so that absolutely will not happen.

[Image: Ve8YCI1.png]
This Hariyama usually isn't too bad, unless I get extremely unlucky. This "WHAMMO" effect signifies a high striker attack, which impacts the dumbbell and causes the stakes in the ground to pop out. This applies a random damage multiplier from 0.5x to 3x, though attack buffs and abilities like sheer force influence the odds.

[Image: mE83NsT.png]
As usual, Desset debuffs for a few turns and then drains an entire health bar. And then loses a bunch of health anyway because of another rocky helmet! I could've avoided this, but it's actually easier to just accept the damage. Fun fact: if you get a 3x high striker attack, the text is "OVER 9000!!!!!!" Fun fact 2: If he lands one on the second turn, Desset dies and I have to soft reset the game. Gee I love random damage spread

[Image: HdJRSpb.png]
This Lucario can be pretty scary. Swords dance is +3 in this terrain, and he has a focus sash because of fucking course he does.

[Image: x0FyvHa.png]
SAMSON's Mons shit out damage so fast and hard that I partake in the forbidden fruit here. The big top terrain only exists in this one room, and there's no way I can tank the sheer damage his team shits out when his team also hits first every fucking turn. Speaking of hitting first, once Lucario gets swords dance off, he uses extreme speed every turn. Most of my team will die in one shot to that, even if they take neutral damage from normal attacks.

[Image: CbVryAj.png]
But consistency means predictability. I switch Jack O in and she takes Lucario's last 1 HP with uhh, seed bomb or some shit

[Image: 2N54dO3.png]
This Blaziken is a shitfucker and he loves to spam bounce! I'm on a hard time limit with trick room, so Amy Lee ends this fuck in one hit.

[Image: rMyuLas.png]
Ffffuck this Hawlucha! That text triggers on Acrobatics usage, which gets an absolutely stupid number of buffs here. Hawlucha gets STAB, and his synthetic seed gives him both 1 stage of attack and helping hand, so we're at n*1.5*1.5*1.5. The terrain gives it an additional *1.5. And, while it normally has a power of 55, the terrain sets it to 110 regardless of held item. So 55*2*1.5*1.5*1.5*1.5=~557. Fuck me. Ray is the only member of the team that can survive one of these, and it still does like three-quarters of her health.
The game actually tells you to abuse flying types, and it's absolutely right to. Bounce, fly, sky drop and a couple other flying moves also get a boost in this terrain. Unfortunately Ray doesn't know any of those and I haven't trained up any other flying types, so
Shrug

[Image: swB0aBy.png]
Hence, trick room and destiny bond. I actually had a plan b if I couldn't trick room: Ray can use discharge to get him to critical, and then Charlie Brown would come in holding a synthetic seed and immediately sucker punch to finish him off. I forgot to level Charlie enough to actually kill with sucker punch though, and this worked out fine. Trick room ended immediately after this too, so I clutched this out at the last second.

[Image: 3JSlYh0.png]
Anyway here's a Mienshao with a life orb! She falls to one psychic.

[Image: 4WAxh7j.png]
And in comes Conkeldurr for the grand finale. Supposedly he's their mascot. I can't match him in levels; the soft cap is 70 until I beat the whole circus. Amy Lee does some respectable damage and falls to a poison jab.

[Image: ZdgLGd6.png]
Poison jab probably would've fucked Desset up, but trick room is over and he's fast enough to kiss first.

[Image: p0s69jq.png]
What a shitty taunt. I know I said it already, but this strongman looks like he weighs about 130 lbs soaking wet.

[Image: MNjgLrh.png]
Gee a fighting badge I've heard rumors about these. SAMSON threw out his best boy early. so this was a little anti-climactic, but I swear to god most of my attempts ended in one of his first three fuckers sweeping my entire team. The only reasonable response was to cheese him right back.
Draku

>Swords Dance+Extremespeed Lucario who is already a monster

>But he gets +3 because lolterrain

Jesus tapdancing Christ that sounds horrifying. That terrain in general seems bonkers.

Good thinking with the Trick Room, this seems obnoxious otherwise.

> And why does counter even have a type if it ignores typing?

Theming and the fact that Ghosts are immune to it. Status moves have types too, including self-affecting ones, despite it not usually mattering outside of immunities for the ones that affect opponents.
Aidan

(Aug 10, 2019 at 4:44 AM)Draku Wrote:
> And why does counter even have a type if it ignores typing?
Theming and the fact that Ghosts are immune to it. Status moves have types too, including self-affecting ones, despite it not usually mattering outside of immunities for the ones that affect opponents.

fuck i can't argue with that. smogon led me astray yet again

Anyways the next gym was a fire gym but I didn't record it and it was really fucking shitty so I'm going to recreate it through pictures. Don't worry I have a photographic memory

[Image: zdDJQEz.png]
So the gym leader is Firebug CHARLOTTE. Her parents died in a HOUSE FIRE and she's the FIRE gym leader. I think she's also one of the orphans I adopted earlier?
The fire terrain makes fire better but only like 10%. The actual problem is that this is a double battle and CHARLOTTE spams heat wave every fucking turn which not only does assloads of damage, it also sets the map on fire to do even more damage and that's fucked.

[Image: yHv92UU.png]
So I send out Snow Miser to use blizzard. Normally this would be fucking dumb since she has a 4x weakness to fire but she has a quick claw so she got the blizzard off before she could get annihilated. Blizzard also destroys the hot terrain so CHARLOTTE was pretty much fucked right off the bat.

[Image: EPnLa88.png]
Then Slimer used rainy day. I'm not actually sure if this was useful or not.

[Image: VFYIbbH.png]
I'm pretty sure Snow Miser died so I sent out Gojira to rampage for a while. CHARLOTTE's team actually sucks when she doesn't have terrain advantage so he basically plows through them all with minimal resistance.

[Image: rPQSl0k.png]
And with all of them dead Erica picks up her next badge! Really shitty gym overall, and it's in the middle of fucking nowhere so I had to backtrack three routes to get set up for it. Glad that shit's over.
Draku
beautiful artwork. i'm sure you perfectly retold events with that summary

heat wave on a fire terrain like that sounds fucking terrifying. screw that. weird that a blizzard would actually fuck up the terrain and not just... melt or something by this game's logic
Aidan

(Aug 12, 2019 at 3:34 AM)Draku Wrote:
beautiful artwork. i'm sure you perfectly retold events with that summary

heat wave on a fire terrain like that sounds fucking terrifying. screw that. weird that a blizzard would actually fuck up the terrain and not just... melt or something by this game's logic

so in "burning" terrain, blizzard does half damage
but her gym starts as "super-heated" and the blizzard cools it down, returning you to neutral terrain
there's other shit too but since i invalidated the entire gimmick in one move i didn't look into it much. i swear it was nigh impossible to survive the onslaught of heat waves otherwise. i had fuckers who resist fire dying in one hit
Draku
oh, if it was just temperature based terrain i guess that makes sense
Two_Finger
loving these artistic renditions
Aidan
So normally I skip over the plot because it's a Pokémon game and I can barely follow along anyway, but I've decided that it's a vital part of the experience in this battle. I'll be transcribing the Gym Leader's dialogue verbatim, with comments added for context.

The ground gym leader, M3G4 T3RR4, whom I will call Terra for my own good, escapes into a computer. Erica enters the computer and finds herself in a recreation of Pokémon Blue. Terra smashes the ground with a hammer, causing the environment to glitch. Wandering through key locations like Lavender Town and Victory Road, Erica fights her way through several Missing No.s and other glitch trainers, eventually finding Terra.

[Image: Q0JWLYE.png]
I AM T3RRA, THEY CALL ME THE CIEL TAMER.
(Ciel is another member of the circus.)
HAD THAT B!TCh ON HER KNEES,
COVERED IN KETCHUP.
WH4T.
l00k. i aint about that dramatic speech life. but lemme tell ya a lil' somethin' somethin', ya feel me
IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO
IN A GALAXY NOT VERY FAR AWAY 4T ALL
IN FACT IT WAS THIS ONE
THIS GALAXY. R1GHT HER3.
THE MILKY TIT
AND $OMETHING TERRIBLE HAPPENED:
(In this font, dollar signs are displayed as Pokédollars, so this would look like POMETHING.)
I GOT BOR3D.
sooo i was like awhh yeaaaa lets cause some 4N4RCHY
cuzzzz chaos. is like sex.
hot. steamy. rawrsex.
(Terra says rawr a lot. She probably says it in every scene she appears in.)
and helllllll them meteors be good in bed.
(Team Meteor is the evil team of the game.)
and lyk, hbu bby? asl? u have kik?
(The player character is 18; can be male, female or other; and comes from somewhere outside of Reborn City.)

[Image: rOkCJ2S.png]
The computer area uses glitch terrain, which is based on the shit programming and inept balance of the Game Boy Pokémon games. Type effectiveness reverts to the original chart; with Dark, Steel and Fairy moves considered Normal. Any special attacks take the higher of Special Attack or Special Defense, and there's no physical/special split for moves.

[Image: p24Ek5m.png]
I'm taking two psychic types in because psychic was broken in gen 1, and a dragon for basically the same reason. Slimer is there to surf on bitches, and the other two are in for very specific reasons you'll see later.

[Image: 9T5sKX6.png]
This is the first time I've really taken a good look at her character design, and fuck do I hate it. Even ignoring the hair, she appears to be wearing a necklace made of leaves, has some weird skin tight layer under her dress, and she stole Joker's gloves. What is this design trying to say? She uses ground types, but there's nothing natural about her design. The Earth tones clash super fucking hard with the bright-ass primary colors. And why does she have spiky Tron Bonne hair? That must take an absolute shitload of gel to keep in place. Why does she look like this?

[Image: b7p19xh.png]
Like Luna, Terra nicknames all her Pogeys. I kinda like that this one is named after Giovanni!

[Image: MAPky2b.png]
Using a psychic move in the glitch terrain prompts this lovely message, boosting the damage by 20%. That's more than enough to melt Giovanni's brain stem, or whatever the fuck psychic does.

[Image: LVNWddP.png]
Here's a life orb Excadrill! I hate it! The self-damage makes him weak enough to fall in one surf.

[Image: 3H6hbJn.png]
Playing on turbo mode, this message scrolls by too fast to read, so I had no idea what the fuck was going on. This Quagsire has a synthethic seed, which gives her ??? typing in this terrain. It has no strengths or weaknesses, so it's basically equivalent to not having a type. She also gets a boost to both defense stats, which could also be a boost to special attack because fuck gen 1!!!

[Image: ZEn8xN9.png]
Of course since it has a defense boost and no weaknesses, she heals every other turn and slowly chips away at you. This dickwad is actually really effective against most of my team. Psychic is busted and Amy gets a lucky crit, though, so it wasn't too bad.

[Image: fvcfxN8.png]
TIME FOR SAND
This Hippowdon can hit pretty hard and she's fairly tanky. I actually keep Slimer alive just to soften her up.

[Image: oAHleho.png]
Surf hits hard as fuck. Slimer goes down, but Amy Lee cleans up after her.

[Image: 8RCUVFp.png]
This Palossand is a problem. She's basically Quagsire again, down to having the seed equipped, only way the fuck more annoying. Giga Drain blows and Shore Up really blows. Since she doesn't have a type, I originally tried to use Ray the Flying Squirrel to paralyze her, but it failed eleven times in a row and I benched her.
Jack O and Sandy go back and forth blasting each other with balls. Jack O is weak to them and also pretty shit at attacking so this is a losing battle for her.

[Image: 6Bdiyya.png]
But she's a sore loser! I feel a little bad using this gimmick again, but I had about two hours of attempts on this boss and most of them fell the fuck apart long before this. If Sandy gets her defense high enough she's nigh indestructible, and I didn't have access to shit like Roar or Defog that would help with this. And I deleted Heal Block weeks ago.

[Image: TsyiXY8.png]
GODDAMMIT FUCK GARCHOMP
This prick is the reason I had to spend two hours on this boss. Holy fucking shit what an awful enemy.
She has an Assault Vest. Assault Vests boost special defense by 50%. Since this is gen 1, that's also a special attack boost. She knows Draco Meteor and will use it every turn, unless one of her other moves would kill. Dragons aren't weak to dragon either, so I can't abuse Outrage to get good damage in. She's also faster than my whole team and can one shot most of them if I'm unlucky. There were times when I would get here with five or six living Mons and still lose. She still benefits from the Ass Vest normally, so she barely takes damage on top of everything else.

[Image: EKeUqEQ.png]
Somehow Sassy managed to survive a hit and get Trick Room up. He even got off a Psyshock before the sum total of all evil in the world fucked him over. Oh, and the sandstorm was still up. Kind of fucked up to kill him with flamethrower but I guess Garchomps are all assholes.

[Image: tmu26lB.png]
This is the lynchpin of the whole plan. Snow Miser also has a synthetic seed, so she gets a defense boost and has no weaknesses, and her special gets a boost. With Trick Room up and the defense boost, she has the time to get out two Blizzards, more than enough to kill anything that's Dragon.
Prior to the Trick Room abuse I was hoping for the freeze chance on Blizzard, but I got it once and he immediately defrosted the next turn and killed Snow Miser so fuck me.

[Image: ZCsqmu9.png]
Everything's going well. The Blizzard hit and Snow Miser can usually survive a Draco Meteor. I've seen the Blizzard miss twice in a row before, so this is great.

[Image: jWygzBB.png]
AH GOD FUCK

So in Gen 1, critical hit rate is directly proportional to speed. That would be too bullshit for even this game, so they change it to a slight boost for the faster Mon. This means Terra is very likely to fuck you over with a random crit because her whole team is stacked for speed.

[Image: fN50KfZ.png]
Thank fuck Psychic is broken. I actually checked Amy and Gojira's stat pages before subbing her in. She had less speed, so I bet on her.
Also, this line doesn't make any sense? Mr. Krabs is the one who was supposed to be feeling it.

[Image: KfRK9Pd.png]
Shut the fuck up
Draku
That dialogue is horrendous. So is the terrain text, jesus.

The terrain sounds like it should have been interesting and a fun gimmick but instead of disabling hold items to stay properly true to Gen 1 like they seemed to want to with everything else, they instead just made Assault Vest into an incredibly broken piece of shit I guess. Great idea. Like come on, you even properly ignore Dragon being in the Gen1 type chart as weak to itself because Dragon Rage was the only Dragon move there, but still have hold items work?