Yoshin
Be it Yugioh, Magic, Netrunner, Poker etc
On to the real topics now, how's everyone feeling about Kaledesh? I'm really liking that mono red might be good again in standard.
Stirling
i was using octgn to play the game of thrones card game but

octgn is like vassal: free and powerful, but basic and mentally demanding to learn game systems with

i like card games a lot, but $$$ prevents me from getting into any seriously
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Renzo "The Renz" Kukenson
The Renz and his (SPOILER ALERT!) little brother, @kuken were playing Yu-Gi-Oh together last year, for old times sake. I have a very nice Blue Eyes White Dragon themed deck, and I enjoy it very much. Kuken's Hero deck is nothing to sneeze at either, but you can ask him yourself-- I have quite the unique connection with the Heart of The Cards Wink

With Great Calculation,
Renzo Kukenson
God
netrunner 4 lyf

ive been through it before but i can't stress enough how well-executed it is as a product. whereas YGO! and the like are designed to have low skill ceilings (i.e. high variance, luck-based mechanics, OP cards) and use power creep as a selling technique which is on the whole detrimental to the game, i always feel like whether i win or lose at netrunner, i'm provided with a satisfying game where i can see what i did was clever or if i made mistakes. the deckbuilding is so much more player-specific as well. so many playstyles and card options that reward innovative thinking as opposed to netdecking. the variance of decks, even in the top percentile of players is really impressive. and best of all, the progressive design team is just decades ahead of the rest of the competition. there's a tonne of black and biracial characters, characters of colour, along with gay and trans characters too. and feminine representation is really stunning, so much variance and not a single one is reduced to tits and ass. they employ a load of female artists and they do a load of research so as to avoid cultural appropriation/mockery when creating storylines set in non-western countries. the world of netrunner is really something to behold and is a fantastic role model for what a card game can and should be.

i encourage all TCG players to try out a Living Card Game like Netrunner or Game of Thrones, it will open your world to a card game experience that is just so much more refined and cares more about the community than it does their CEO's bank accounts.
God
(Sep 10, 2016 at 7:07 PM)StirlADrei Wrote: i was using octgn to play the game of thrones card game but

octgn is like vassal: free and powerful, but basic and mentally demanding to learn game systems with

i like card games a lot, but $$$ prevents me from getting into any seriously

if you're concerned about the money then LCGs are the way to go. the upfront cost is generally higher but since it isn't booster-pack based, you only need to spend about $15 every two months or so when each cycle pack comes out. and if you participate in high-level tournaments you can usually offset the cost of travel/entry by selling the alternate art cards you win. the aGoT is still in its infancy so i perhaps you could get by with not going for the full set of cards and just buying the cycle packs you need.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Draku
(Sep 13, 2016 at 8:56 AM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: YGO! and the like are designed to have low skill ceilings (i.e. high variance, luck-based mechanics, OP cards) and use power creep as a selling technique which is on the whole detrimental to the game
i will note that YGO used to have a surprisingly high skill ceiling. i know whenever i played anyone who was actually good at the game there had to be a ton of reading of cards the opponent had (accurate prediction of set cards as well as those in the hand), knowing when to play conservative and when to play aggressively (card advantage, while a very important concept and something one had to learn, was not always simple to gain and had high risks in some situations), intelligent use of set cards in general (knowing when to save something even though you could spring it and potentially catch a big play later that they think is safe, debating potential risk of backrow wipes and how many cards you could set at a given time as a result), pokerface usage (for those not accustomed to doing so themselves, it was possible to probe potential tells via reading the opponent's emotional reaction to banter), deckbuilding was a key skill (while it was possible to "netdeck" as a shortcut, one's own choices and understanding of why particular cards are included in their specific numbers is incredibly important. taking the build that worked for someone else with no input or understanding of your own is foolish), learning potential tech cards, learning potential opponent decktypes even if they're "rogue", assessing past matches during your current ones, and generally having good overall knowledge of the game as well as a calm head at all times.

nowadays it's pretty fucking terrible though. absolute shame it had to go the way of removing what made the game so interesting (the immense amount of removal options your opponent had was what kept things so tactical and thrilling. all these years later i finally realize that heavy storm was a positive influence on the game after all) and shove every god damned effect possible into monsters because they sell product better than spells/traps. seriously jesus christ now everything just has a ton of self-protection shit that makes smart play obsolete entirely, and with heavy storm out of the way last i knew it was still just "lol set everything" since the only threat to that was a rank 4 field nuke that only got you if you had expended all of your resources anyways. as you could set whatever the hell you liked you always had answers and it became less of "force your opponent's 1-2 sets at the moment and then make your big play" it became more of "haha who drew their best answers and got out their best monster that's immune to everything in a single card" and "who plays boring as hell decks that always +1 off of every single card rather than have any sort of interesting combination strategy". it had a ton of great mechanics that kept the game's pacing always changing and interesting.

well i certainly wasn't expecting to type a longass post about missing older YGO today. i haven't ever gone nearly as in-depth getting involved with any other card games, i'm sure netrunner is awesome given what you just said about it and the nature of those sorts of games though i don't really think i'd ever be able to actually get a game going with anyone. ygo i only became as seasoned as i was because it was possible to play so many fucking people of all skill levels at any given time with how popular it was. played daily with a large amount of people, went to tournaments at various venues each weekend, etc. i don't think i could ever get an experience like that out of something much more niche. heck i had problems getting into pokemon because the only serious play you could get at all was at official tournaments due to the crap handling of the game officially.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
I tried selling Pokemon cards on ebay a few years ago, then stopped when I realized I was losing like 30 cents from 99 cent purchases thanks to paypal (+$1 for a couple of forever stamps, so i was actually losing money on some transactions)
[Image: supercorrect.png]
God
@Draku yeah i do think there was a time when YGO! was a good card game. but even when i was really into it (this was when lightsworn was meta), competitive play was pretty low variance. i remember tournaments where all top five decks were lightsworn variants. i know that you were playing it before i was so maybe you're referring to a different period?

my main gripe with YGO! is that it was pretty much a one player game. you could superficially interact with the opponent's gamestate but it was more or less reacting to a limited set of possible situations rather than actually giving the opponent difficult decisions. at the end of the day you had no choice but to reduce the opponent's life points to 0, but very limited ways to do that. this made the interaction so predictable, and you either had the tools to prevent it or you didn't. i kinda felt like if you knew what the cards did, and you knew the metagame (and you could afford to buy the good cards), you were going to be a good player and then it's just a matter of the Heart Of The Cards being inn your favour. it was all tactics and no strategy.

yeah even though netrunner is a US game, i think theres a much higher density of UK netrunner players than in the US; at one of my locals we regularly have more netrunner players than magic or YGO! players. there are a ton of US players but i guess it depends on the city
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Draku
ygo has had a history of certain decks taking over the meta like lightsworn or teleDAD, but those weren't really the periods i was talking about in a positive light. there were plenty of past formats where you could run anything and succeed, and there were extremely diverse top tables at every event.

mid-5ds and mid to end-zexal are around when i think the game was at its general strongest. by then the respective mechanics of the period in general had developed enough and it wasn't the beginning of an era, where they try to push the new mechanic so hard they make it broken. end of 5ds had the western side trying to cash out before zexal even began which was horrible and led to bullshit like reborn tengu and tour guide. mid-5d's was strong because of the core gameplay being at its finest with a lot of powerful card options for every deck, whereas mid to end-zexal was good because of the sheer amount of viable decks thanks to xyz. like holy crap you could play -anything- then. early ygo and the gx era in general i think the game was hindered by it trying to develop its identity and end of GX was just fucking stupid card design-wise.

i would argue against your claims of the interaction being limited. i will admit by the time zexal rolled around backrow was very predictable and there was crap like handtraps, but in mid-5ds there were a lot of very strong backrow cards that you had to be smart about both playing around as well as utilizing yourself. a mirror force or torrential could end you, but if you managed to bait them out early, your opponent could easily topple under their poor play since they were limited and thus if used once, you were free to do as you pleased without greater risk. mindgames with your opponent were a huge part of playing well.

luck was a more limited factor than most people will claim. if your deck was built well and you shuffled properly, it almost never mattered. they fucked this up a bit with limiting BLS which was an incredibly dumb move and made topdecking into it too viable as a gamechanger, but eh.
God
that's kind of what i'm talking about; playing around the possibility of the opponent having certain power cards like Mirror Force, Monster Reborn etc. is really limited interaction. it's basically: if i do a and they respond with x, i do b, otherwise, i continue with a. but a, in most situations is what you have to do sooner or later because of the limited ways of winning (life points or milling, and iirc not many decks could only realistically do one or the other), and you just have to see what happens.

with netrunner, as the Runner you can win via milling the Corp's deck, via stealing agendas in their remote servers, via their hand or their deck, and there's plenty of ways to achieve all of these. as the Corp, you can win by either killing the Runner with three different types of damage, reducing their hand size below 0, or scoring agendas in remote servers. because of the asymmetric nature of the game, interaction is not reduced to binary reactions, there's always multiple avenues of attack and defence, multiple ways to prepare that attack and defence, and it doesn't depend often on you having that one card to solve the issue. nor does the gamestate you develop happen as mechanically as YGO!; you have to respond to the specific gamestate that the opponent has presented to you, which has a very low chance of ever being repeated in another game. there's just too many variables to manage for you to play reactively. that's what i was talking about when i said that i think there's no comparison between YGO! and A:NR in terms of scope of interaction
Poxni
i've been debating on picking up the pokemon tcg yet again but i wanna at least see if there's a decent local scene. if not there's always tcgo...
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
Shedinja
yugioh became obsolete once pendulums came out and the autopilot safezone format became real. i still play but i always make a sour face every time a pendulum monster lands on the field
[Image: vI6LrbC.gif]
Yoshin
Dude tier 0 atm is one of hardest to pilot decks I've ever played
And pendulum isn't even bad it was Qli and PePe that were bad

Or would you rather go back to DRuler format were it was "Play DRulers or Nothing", at least with the current meta rouge decks like ours can Top on occasion.
kuken
i play yugioh and im the best i have a hero deck and it loves to win mother fuckerEvilEvil
Yoshin
duel me then on ygopro
kuken
i only play on dueling network
AWFADragNaut
We should set up a cards against humanity game at some point
Draku
(Sep 22, 2016 at 11:35 PM)AWFADragNaut Wrote: We should set up a cards against humanity game at some point
id be down
Yoshin
(Sep 22, 2016 at 11:32 PM)kuken Wrote: i only play on dueling network

Well a) its dead and b) dn was complete garbo

(Sep 22, 2016 at 11:35 PM)AWFADragNaut Wrote: We should set up a cards against humanity game at some point

only if we have voice chat because CAH really shines with that
AWFADragNaut
Does discord have voice chat?