RWBY - The Badge and the Burden, Jaunedice, Foreverfall, The Stray, Black and White

Aidan
[Image: 6a9TnWR.png]
After the climactic Shadow Lugia battle, RWBY follows up with quirky Degrassi-esque high school drama. I can't say I'm surprised - the characters are school children - but it can be hard to get through. It's exactly what you'd expect from a teen melodrama: bullying, kids wondering if they fit, the rich girl acting bitchy, our heroine being quirky and relatable~

[Image: LY8QJXj.png]
You do occassionally get an action scene, and they're still as fun as ever, but the stories surrounding them don't compliment it much. Things are sort of settling into a formula here: two-parter episodes that establish who's personalities are clashing that week, throw in some wacky Disney Saturday Morning animation gags, and then the drama reaches a crescendo and we all learn an Important Lesson about teamwork and friendship.

[Image: emvqZ2y.png]
But drama can be fun, too. I don't think this is meant to be marathoned, even though you could get through all of season one in about two hours. A lot of these were put on in the background while I did simplistic, mindnumbing tasks like playing Pokemon.

[Image: rJ3KcAM.png]
Some indications of a larger plot start to show, most of it weirdly involving racism against furries? That whole plot point really jarred with the cartoony humour: imagine if Donald Duck was an oppressed minority and it was played completely straight - and it's not even the Kingdom Hearts Donald.

[Image: 4vFfPvJ.png]
But eventually the mobsters that talk like Scooby-Doo show up again and things go completely bonkers. Spoilers: there's a fight scene involving a cat girl, Sun Wukong, a robot, a Clockwork Orange cosplayer and helicopters and it owns. Things basically end on a cliff-hanger, but there's enough of a climax that this works as a stopping point, even though this last episode introduces about a million unanswered questions.

That doesn't really matter to me though! I have another two seasons to barrel through before I can be free from this curse.
Draku
The racism thing works better later on when the tone starts to shift towards a more solidifed direction, a lot of the early RWBY goofy shit is really all over the place tone-wise. Though parts of it continue to be handled bizarrely.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
sealelement
Did you like the 2 parter for Jaune that did nothing and went nowhere and was completely awful
100% pure gamer 100%
Aidan
(Jan 10, 2020 at 11:21 PM)sealelement Wrote: Did you like the 2 parter for Jaune that did nothing and went nowhere and was completely awful

i was going to talk about how a quarter of the season was the jaune gets bullied arc, but there was nothing to say since nothing happened the entire time
also i was catching kyogre
sealelement
Did you like how jaune has blue jeans. Do you get it? Jaune, jeans???
100% pure gamer 100%
Pea
jaune is french for yellow and i refuse to believe that name had any other meaning
Draku
(Jan 11, 2020 at 3:30 AM)Pea Wrote: jaune is french for yellow and i refuse to believe that name had any other meaning
yeah he's named after his hair color, his design is meant to look like a normal idiot dressing up as a pretend hero so that's where the jeans came from.
sealelement
Isnt he named after joan of arc
100% pure gamer 100%
Draku
no actually he's named after
Aidan
his name is Jaune Arc yeah
it's kind of funny that they named the incompetent liar after someone who was burned alive for made-up charges of lying
Draku
almost all names in RWBY are color related so it's a double then
but still not related to the jeans :^ )
sealelement
Also every character in rwby is based on a real person or literary character basically like fate stay night but theres no fucking reason for them to be allusions to historical or literary figures like that because its com fucking pletely irrelevant to the actual story and they all act like original characters god I hate rwby
sealelement
[Image: 5pBvuDj.png]
100% pure gamer 100%
Draku
fuck. icant argue with memes
Draku
wait a minute oF COURSE I CAN

[Image: BQ6Nc6h.jpg]
sealelement
[Image: IdhIi4b.png]
100% pure gamer 100%
Draku
holy fuck
Ruby Rose
Listen.
Draku's the kind of person so try and explain why Yang is a representative of Goldilocks.
Seal is the kind of person that points out that when she punches it makes a bang, and the first letter of yellow is y. Yang.
I know who I'm voting for.
The Huntress Team Leader, Ruby!

Not gonna lie tho, Casey Lee Williams is an awesome Vocalist.
Draku
[Image: Yzmvk4A.jpg]