Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice

Draku
Cause we have AA shitters here, right?

Just finished the game earlier today. Damn, that was fantastic. While I liked Dual Destinies a whole lot since it appealed to many of my own personal tastes, it didn't quite match the original trilogy objectively. This game however, I feel definitely does. Even the single filler-type case is handled as it should have been, and is used for character development to boot. Plus the game is basically 6 cases long as it is, even if the filler case was missing the game would definitely feel more than long enough. Kinda makes up for DD being basically 4 cases.

Still need to play the DLC, looking forward to that.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Aidan
i bought dual destinies with a friend and i only got to the case where they go to the los angeles ancient japanese village
1) should i finish that game or just get this one
2) does SoJ fix the things that were shit about DD (like the examination feature being nothing and the cases randomly switching perspective and jumping through time and space with no rhyme or reason and having three different characters fill the role of "boring straight-man protagonist")

EDIT: forgot end bracket cuz i'm durnk
Draku
(Sep 18, 2016 at 4:11 AM)BlasterMaster Wrote: i bought dual destinies with a friend and i only got to the case where they go to the los angeles ancient japanese village
1) should i finish that game or just get this one
2) does SoJ fix the things that were shit about DD (like the examination feature being nothing and the cases randomly switching perspective and jumping through time and space with no rhyme or reason and having three different characters fill the role of "boring straight-man protagonist")

EDIT: forgot end bracket cuz i'm durnk
You could get away with playing this one without DD, though I think the final case makes DD worth it even if one isn't up to the earlier trials.

Examination is a little bit more involved than DD but still not quite what it used to be.

The cases have timeskips between them but there's a very clear overarching plot across all but one of them. Athena isn't shoehorned in much anymore and the game largely is about Phoenix and Apollo, who finally gains a true character of his own after three games of trying to do that.
Two_Finger
this is all good to hear
I should really get back to finishing investigations 2 and DD (and the layton one) so I can move on to this
Draku
i still have the layton one sealed in box waiting to be opened, i haven't felt like it since the layton half doesn't really interest me and i've heard it's underwhelming

i should probably play investigations 1+2 sometime but hearing 1 is mediocre has put me off from that for forever too
rtsmarty
i finished it today. it was okay!

there were a shitload of ~~epic twists~~ in the last case that i'd figured out 10 minutes into the case. the only one that really surprised me a little was dhurke is already dead. i dunno. i'm usually shit at figuring out plot points but i called a great deal of the case a long time before the ~~epic reveal~~, definitely before the trial (actually a long time before the trial for most of it). rayfa = dhurke/amara's daughter and the baby in the photo was rayfa (really it was 23 years ago? nahyuta would have been 2 but the baby was clearly a newborn who the fuck did they think they were kidding here). nayna is amara. nahyuta/amara/dhurke are protecting rayfa. ga'ran could not channel spirits. ga'ran was the killer (though i guess they can be forgiven for this one since the "prosecutor is the bad guy" is something of a trope at this point so i was instantly suspicious). ga'ran was the cause of the fire 23 years ago. i did get one thing wrong though i think? the game didn't make it 100% clear but i thought that inga was working for ga'ran and that the whole "steal the founder's orb" thing was her idea, but it seemed that even in the end that people were asserting that inga was planning a coup. he could not see peoples' faces how could he possibly channel spirits? so how could he possibly be king? it doesn't make sense.

i dunno. it was a fun case but i felt like the game expected people playing it to be absolute morons and so everyone involved acted like a complete moron. it was really annoying when the game made you choose something wrong because you're not supposed to have figured out the truth yet. i'm sure that happened at least once but i can't remember any specific example.

i'd spoiled myself about apollo/nahyuta being brothers beforehand and it seemed a little forced then but it was handled pretty well i think. felt like apollo actually got some character development after the pitiful attempt they made in aa5.

the filler case was okay! i really liked the twist, and also how it was sort of alluded to before hand with kisegawa having lady blips even before the reveal. when it started i really expected it to be worse than big top and it took me a long time to get into it but it was actually alright in the end. i swear the writers are literally making cases specifically to make it hard for the localisation teams though.

i guess 6-2 was kind of a filler case too but that wasn't too bad either even though the investigation phase took me three fucking hours. at least there was only one i suppose.

i like that you can actually examine everywhere again now! that really annoyed me about aa5.
Mario
[deleted]
rtsmarty
i think it's 3ds only right now but aa5 eventually came out for ios so this one might too

the one set in the past is still japan only (dai gyakuten saiban, and they've just announced dgs2 too).
Mario
[deleted]
rtsmarty
i haven't played the ios version but it does have a much higher resolution than the 3ds so it'd probably look nicer. i can't think of any reason that the 3ds would be better (though i did play with the 3d off for the whole game so maybe that's why) other than "that's all that's available right now".

i dont have any ios devices so i can't compare though, sorry
Draku
(Sep 18, 2016 at 5:38 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: there were a shitload of ~~epic twists~~ in the last case that i'd figured out 10 minutes into the case
they foreshadowed too heavily, which is weird because case 3's mystery was very well handled. the only things i didn't pick up on well in advance were dhurke being dead and the jove justice picture's true purpose. still a very fun ride of a trial though.

(Sep 18, 2016 at 5:38 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: but it seemed that even in the end that people were asserting that inga was planning a coup. he could not see peoples' faces how could he possibly channel spirits? so how could he possibly be king? it doesn't make sense.
he was planning to make his "daughter" queen, not become king himself. it's implied he didn't actually like the DC act with how many execution orders he has piled up that he is supposedly too lazy to sign.

(Sep 18, 2016 at 5:38 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: the investigation phase took me three fucking hours.
The new writers seem to heavily favor one singular long investigation phase and one lengthy court session over two days of shorter segments, to the point of case 5 becoming what it is. In this case it was forced because of the scheduling of the magic show so you know in advance you'll only have one court day. given they had a higher budget this time around they clearly made full use of it asset-wise too, so there were a lot more places you had to go to for each case.
rtsmarty
(Sep 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Sep 18, 2016 at 5:38 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: but it seemed that even in the end that people were asserting that inga was planning a coup. he could not see peoples' faces how could he possibly channel spirits? so how could he possibly be king? it doesn't make sense.
he was planning to make his "daughter" queen, not become king himself. it's implied he didn't actually like the DC act with how many execution orders he has piled up that he is supposedly too lazy to sign.
but rayfa was next in line to the throne anyway, he didn't need the fortune orb to do that. just kill the queen
Draku
(Sep 18, 2016 at 7:22 PM)rtsmarty Wrote:
(Sep 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM)Draku Wrote:
but rayfa was next in line to the throne anyway, he didn't need the fortune orb to do that. just kill the queen
she couldn't channel spirits, and heavy suspicion would arise. without circumstances like it ended up, she would not have been able to ascend with the people's approval, or at least that's what seemed to be implied.
rtsmarty
(Sep 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Sep 18, 2016 at 7:22 PM)rtsmarty Wrote:
(Sep 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM)Draku Wrote: he was planning to make his "daughter" queen, not become king himself. it's implied he didn't actually like the DC act with how many execution orders he has piled up that he is supposedly too lazy to sign.
she couldn't channel spirits, and heavy suspicion would arise. without circumstances like it ended up, she would not have been able to ascend with the people's approval, or at least that's what seemed to be implied.
i don't really agree with that because there's not really any difference with how it would have turned out compared to how it actually did turn out in the end. if people wouldn't like that rayfa could not channel spirits then they still wouldn't now. maybe inga was just a lot more cautious, he did plan it after all while what actually happened was just something that happened

i still didn't see anything like this mentioned or implied, all i saw were implications that he wanted to be king. i'm sure i would've picked up on anything suggesting otherwise because him wanting to be king doesn't make sense.

i also think that inga working for his wife just makes a lot more sense. not being able to channel spirits was a major weakness of the ga'ran regime, and they needed to keep amara alive (and compliant) because of it, so ga'ran needed a way to get rid of that weakness. all it would take is for the rebels to kidnap rayfa (not an unthinkable tactic even if they don't know about amara) and the whole thing would come crumbling down. the only problem then is ga'ran's motive for killing inga but that wouldn't have been difficult to work around. i mean it's not like her motive is bulletproof anyway considering that inga was plotting treason and she's the fucking queen
Draku
(Sep 18, 2016 at 8:04 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: i don't really agree with that because there's not really any difference with how it would have turned out compared to how it actually did turn out in the end. if people wouldn't like that rayfa could not channel spirits then they still wouldn't now.
during the court session everyone had everything spelled out for them about what was really going on, thus making rayfa's rise to power after the fact despite her being unable to channel far more understandable. meanwhile, the coup attempt would have made her capable of channeling spirits, leaving inga a way to show her superiority to the queen. without the court case, if she had no channeling ability, the people would not have known the full story laid bare in the trial and thus have been far less likely to accept her as queen. she would naturally ascend anyways later in life, but that would be who knows how long.
rtsmarty
also the ~cute~ music in this game really gets on my tits bring back april may's theme

i cant stop hearing it go away aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
rtsmarty
🎉 dlc case is out 🎉
Mario
[deleted]
Draku
(Oct 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM)wtl Wrote: god the first case in this is so long lmao
it has best witness, so it's worth it
Mario
[deleted]