DrTapeworm
we have a whole forum for greentext yknow
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Spritanium
10 billion USD in 2011

5.5 billion USD in 2016

It's not even an argument, it's a statistic / a real-time example of how to destroy a company
[Image: supercorrect.png]
mit
honestly i have no idea what nintendo's target demographic is anymore (i doubt nintendo knows what it is either) and i brought up sony because sony is a japanese game company with a huge worldwide market and basically is doing what nintendo should've been doing for the last like 10 years but instead nintendo chose to "innovate" with each of their new consoles rather than sticking with what worked and maybe improving upon it here and there

that's honestly straight up nintendo's entire issue. they have no idea how to do anything with any kind of stability and the fact that they're not competing at all with any modern gaming consoles gives them a free pass to just make up whatever shit they feel like. at least they're consistent with handhelds, though they have LITERALLY no competition and the 3DS is on its way out, so i will probably be proven wrong eventually

half of their new games are just "lets come up with some completely random gameplay concept and staple an IP on it" except rather than saving that for safe IPs (ie mario, kirby, etc) they slap their more malnourished IPs instead and pass them off as new entries in the franchises. this wouldn't be an issue if they weren't so fucking stupid regarding a stable (there that word is again) release schedule for their IPs, because then it'd just be a small dent and we would go forward knowing we'll get another game soon enough. right now it's just "mario > mario > mario > pokemon > mario > zelda > mario > REVITALIZED NOSTALGIC IP! > mario" which is baffling

and even then they can't even keep their forefront IPs fresh, which, i can't really blame them there, but there's gotta be a point where you stop and think "hm, maybe every new mario game, 2D or not, shouldn't look exactly like NSMBU"
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]
Draku
(Sep 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM)mit Wrote: honestly i have no idea what nintendo's target demographic is anymore (i doubt nintendo knows what it is either)
if you'd believe it, they're STILL trying to get casual and phone gamers above all else despite that market leaving them in the dust years ago.

the wii was a mistake
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
God
(Sep 29, 2016 at 9:05 PM)Spritanium Wrote: 10 billion USD in 2011

5.5 billion USD in 2016

It's not even an argument, it's a statistic / a real-time example of how to destroy a company

that wii sports dollah was gonna run out eventually
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
T-man
(Sep 29, 2016 at 6:51 PM)Spritanium Wrote: - It won't be able to compete with other consoles, but this is fine because nintendo is special desu~~ and they can magically stay afloat without making money
I fucking hate this. I'm sick of Nintendo being a special fucking snowflake and being all "we dont compete in the red ocean :^)" and "please specify what you mean by online services like PlayStation Network and Xbox Live, we've never used them"
mit
i am almost positive he means simply having an easy to use online service used across all nintendo platforms with a unified shop and money system, which is something nintendo still hasn't fully rolled out
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]
T-man
(Sep 29, 2016 at 11:29 PM)JoshJDubya Wrote: T-man are you saying you want a paid online subscription service?

Because quite honestly I don't like the new PSN that literally requires it for anything online multiplayer (not sure if it still is like that on PS4 as I haven't touched mine in close to a year though). I like free online.

It's bit more complicated than just that. I hate that online multiplayer is locked behind a paywall, but there is a lot I like about PS4's online features. I can manage my PSN account online, this includes being able to activate/deactivate my various consoles. I can receive messages and friend requests on my phone via the PlayStation App. I can also use the PlayStation App as a remote control for my PS4 and use it to turn it on and off remotely. Oh fuck, I had to run out and left my PS4 on? I can put it into rest mode from my fucking phone. I can browse the PSN Store from anywhere, buy anything, and it will download to my PS4 automatically. The PS4 downloads and installs updates when in rest mode. There's just so much I could go on and on about. Sony is just so much more forward thinking than Nintendo in this regard. All of these features came about gradually, but while these were in the works Nintendo was still playing with fucking credit card numbers as a workaround for a proper account infrastructure.
T-man
Honestly, there's so much stuff that Nintendo should be doing that it's impossible list it all, but these are the biggest ones.

>Nintendo Account with purchases tied to it

Okay, we got that one but you still need to be able to access your shit on a new system without customer support so we're not quite there yet.

>Friends, messaging, and parties

I can't believe in 2016 that a Nintendo console doesn't have a simple, instantaneous chat solution. You can send doodles to you friends via Miiverse I think, but there's no on-screen alert.

>Online Games

They've been pretty good in this regard, but I feel they could be better integrated with the system.
Spritanium
If anyone still wants sources

2011: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/annual1103e.pdf

2016: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf

Disclaimer: I didn't personally do conversions from yen to USD, I'm going off of someone else's figures
Spritanium
Second disclaimer: I'm just angsty and feel burnt by nintendo, it's fully possible that this console will be good (unlikely as it may be)
T-man
No one hates Nintendo without having loved Nintendo.
Spritanium
I don't even hate Nintendo. It's more like that feeling when you have a relative/friend who is destroying their life with drugs but you can't stop them from making their own choices
Spritanium
Let's play a game: what are the best _and_ worst things NX could end up being?

Best: A home console with a fully integrated network of players + a modified GameCube controller with a gyroscope and mic, can stream games to smartphones or tablets using wifi/data, and the controller is Bluetooth enabled so you can use it with these other devices too.

Worst: A portable version of the Wii U called the WiiDS, a 7 minute battery life, powered by coal, the games are all red as a callback to the virtual boy, the controller is a network of cables that you attach to various points on your body to control games by dancing like a marionette
mit
i'd be totally okay with an NX that's more or less a portable wii u honestly. i love the shit out of the gamepad though i'd like to see its issues fixed should that be the case.

a best case scenario would be a totally modular "hub" console. you can slap on a better battery or different controls (basically things that enhance an already good base experience, not so much things that "complete" it) to suit your liking or the game you're playing and some games could come with their own little control setup peripheral so lack of a second stick or analog shoulder buttons or something like that wouldn't be an issue like it was on the 3DS. it would also, hopefully, have a decently high resolution, along with the ability to be played on a TV should it be plugged in.

worst case scenario is that handled extremely poorly. the base console is garbage, you need to pay out the ass to get extra bits and pieces that should've come out of the box, doesn't come with a charger, stuff nintendo's known for as they've made these... honestly somewhat impressive mistakes in the past.

as far as software goes it's an entirely different story. i legitimately don't know what i would want or what to expect because what i REALLY want will absolutely never happen and what i dread is what i expect. in an absolute best case scenario they stop making HD remakes of just zelda titles and give other franchises some much deserved attention, like a kirby air ride remake with online, double dash with much of the same, etc
Elyk
For me the worst case scenario is that it can be purchased as either a handheld or home console. The home console is an expansion thing that you can buy separately to upgrade. Then they split their software library between games that can run without the home console upgrade and games that cannot.
T-man
The NX needs to be like a sleeker Wii U game pad with an HDMI stick

[Image: AMpjxDD.png]
Mario
[deleted]
CHESHIRE ☯
(Oct 5, 2016 at 2:17 AM)T-man Wrote: The NX needs to be like a sleeker Wii U game pad with an HDMI stick

[Image: AMpjxDD.png]

This is all I really want.

...oh yeah, and fucking games. But I guess that's just wishful thinking.
MSO
https://twitter.com/wonderhavoc/status/7...3999532033

Hmmmm

Thread Tags

vidya nintendo switch