Undertale's actually a pretty good game

Fim
That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it
Draku
yeah it is, the only real reasons to dislike it are the fact that the pacifism gimmick isn't used in as interesting of a way as it could be (it isn't really any sort of choice and while there are a lot of neat neutral route ends, the game is essentially punishing you for doing anything other than pure pacifism or an absolutely obscene amount of violence since you get the "best" neutral route end and essentially the whole neutral route experience by default on a full pacifist run anyways) and that the gameplay patterns are not as well implemented as they could be, mostly following a predefined script that makes most boss encounters the same every time

but deltarune is definitely shaping up to be better
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Vertette
the pacifism definitely feels undercooked as it's usually just "use this really obvious action to win" and the most interesting boss battles being hidden behind several hours of not fun grinding is kinda shit

otherwise it's pretty alright
sealelement
i liked the burger guy
100% pure gamer 100%
Nabber
10/10 game for me

i find the writing an absolute joy to read which i think is important because that style could easily become incredibly grating. the bullet hell stuff is fun and i like the way they shake things up in boss battles, and obviously the music is wonderful

it could easily be better but everything draku posted is more of a missed opportunity to me than anything that adversely affects my experience with the game
Yrrzy
its neat
Spritanium
I played it once and enjoyed it a lot but never really felt compelled to play it again
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Dec 8, 2020 at 7:57 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I played it once and enjoyed it a lot but never really felt compelled to play it again
this is what my post more or less amounts to. it is a fantastic experience while you are running through it for the first time, but if you ever revisit it you quickly realize its shortcomings. it's definitely made to be a one and done experience but that also goes against the whole deal with how you're meant to have played the game a bunch of times trying different outcomes for the narrative to match up but there's no real payoff or reason to do that which is one of the few weaknesses of the writing which is otherwise excellent.

deltarune purposefully going all in on the basic idea of a "one-time experience rpg" and not pretending like you have any real choice in the matter while also doing the gameplay part better is why i said what i did, i think it will wind up an even better version of that style of game and i'm looking super forward to it. for a first shot at a full standalone game by the guy it deserves the praise it gets. everyone stumbles on their first entry.
Spritanium
Tbh when I think back on the game, the whole minigame aspect of the battles was the coolest part. The main reason RPGs become boring to me is that you're just selecting options during battles, so having stuff to actually avoid was great
Vertette
(Dec 9, 2020 at 9:43 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Tbh when I think back on the game, the whole minigame aspect of the battles was the coolest part. The main reason RPGs become boring to me is that you're just selecting options during battles, so having stuff to actually avoid was great

I too miss Mario & Luigi
Sans Hardwood
I SUCK THE SKELETON'S DICK UNTIL WE BOTH CUM
Jetamo
desist
[Image: ybpjq8e.png]
Mario
It's great. I really hope we see more and more projects like this explode in popularity like that.
sealelement
the part with the fast food joint where youre talking to the burger guy was pretty lit
100% pure gamer 100%
Spritanium
(Dec 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM)Vertette Wrote:
(Dec 9, 2020 at 9:43 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Tbh when I think back on the game, the whole minigame aspect of the battles was the coolest part. The main reason RPGs become boring to me is that you're just selecting options during battles, so having stuff to actually avoid was great

I too miss Mario & Luigi
That was always my favorite rpg series for that exact reason lol, I was surprised more series didn't follow suit. I guess there are RTS games but it's a little different
Draku
i do wish there were more rpgs that had the paper mario/mario and luigi type system where it's turnbased but responsive, but there are a ton of action rpgs out there. mmbn and tales are both very good styles of that
Vertette
(Dec 10, 2020 at 8:26 PM)Draku Wrote: i do wish there were more rpgs that had the paper mario/mario and luigi type system where it's turnbased but responsive

[Image: header.jpg]
Draku
(Dec 11, 2020 at 12:04 AM)Vertette Wrote:
(Dec 10, 2020 at 8:26 PM)Draku Wrote: i do wish there were more rpgs that had the paper mario/mario and luigi type system where it's turnbased but responsive

[Image: header.jpg]
sorry, i meant more good rpgs