Do Forums Have a Place in the Modern Web?

Haruru
Is there anything they can do that other more popular forms of social media cannot?
Fun With Despair
you have more control when it comes to keeping out the kind of rancid apes that infest twitter and every other mainstream social media site
Aidan
social media is controlled by an algorithm so it's bad for meeting people who have slightly different opinions to you. they're either copies of you or the exact opposite
boards are better for that because you're just shown everything listed by newest first. it doesn't try to filter out anything
also like despair said, forums have less subhumans than twitter
Haruru
That is an intrinsic property of smaller social media, a larger forum would suffer the same fate as bigger blogs do today such as Tumblr and Twitter.
Draku
no other form of social media is properly thread based. this is a huge advantage and the major focus of forums. no, reddit does not have threads in a traditional manner, they're fucking horrendous

shit isn't lost instantaneously when it's more than a day old even on fast forums. also, no upvoting horseshit.

moderated by real humans in a manageable manner. no Invisible Corporate Overlords and none of the headache of trying to moderate a chatroom which still have terrible tools for the job.

drama exists, but is inherently played down by a larger focus on more thought put into posts that are made over a longer period of time. no instant shitflinging back and forth
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Haruru
Quote:moderated by real humans in a manageable manner. no Invisible Corporate Overlords
That isn't a given with forums. An entity could monetize and privately moderate a forum in the same way a service such as Facebook is.

The threaded nature is an advantage however I do not believe forums are unique in this aspect, unless one considers image boards and email chains kinds of forums. I do not personally but I respect if you are of this opinion.
Draku
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:15 PM)Haruru Wrote:
Quote:moderated by real humans in a manageable manner. no Invisible Corporate Overlords
That isn't a given with forums. An entity could monetize and privately moderate a forum in the same way a service such as Facebook is.
the closest real life practice to this i've seen is like, 4chan, and even that has visible moderator interaction.

(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:15 PM)Haruru Wrote: The threaded nature is an advantage however I do not believe forums are unique in this aspect, unless one considers image boards and email chains kinds of forums. I do not personally but I respect if you are of this opinion.
an email chain is not comparable, it's not a collection of threads and tends to be more unwieldy. there are also ""threads"" on twitter and reddit and such but they're virtually unusable by comparison.

imageboards are forums, yes. they operate on the same structure, what about them is not forumesque?
Haruru
Quote:the closest real life practice to this i've seen is like, 4chan, and even that has visible moderator interaction.
No real world examples does not imply it cannot happen. I can easily imagine a large forum wherein threads are broadcast to users with an algorithm and moderation is mostly invisible.
Quote:an email chain is not comparable, it's not a collection of threads and tends to be more unwieldy.
How are email chains not threaded? You have a list of topics and in each topic you have a "chain" which users can reply to. They are not the same visually but in function they are identical.
Quote: imageboards are forums, yes. they operate on the same structure, what about them is not forumesque?
They are forumesque I do agree. However they do not meet my criteria in that they are anonymous and temporary. A proper forum does not have a limit on how long a post lasts for. An image board is only a single step above a chatroom in my eye due to this nature.
Aidan
image boards are the same thing just with less features/ worse design
an email chain is different since there's only one "topic." but if you are signed up to several email chains that all have the same users then that would be a type of forum. i think usenet used to work that way?
Pea
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:09 PM)Draku Wrote: no upvoting horseshit.

good sh*ts your post so you gain more exp
Haruru
Quote: an email chain is different since there's only one "topic."
This is incorrect, that is simply how most email chains are set up.
Aidan
when we add Arcane Magicks we should have one that sorts a whole board by good shits per post
Draku
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:45 PM)Pea Wrote:
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:09 PM)Draku Wrote: no upvoting horseshit.

good sh*ts your post so you gain more exp
Not an upvote. If topics were instead arranged in the order of which reply had the most good sh*ts, Minus World would suck ass. Also, it would be what I was talking about. I'm going to go assassinate Aidan now.

(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM)Haruru Wrote: No real world examples does not imply it cannot happen. I can easily imagine a large forum wherein threads are broadcast to users with an algorithm and moderation is mostly invisible.
Well you should call me when it does happen then. Theoreticals are meaningless in this discussion.

(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM)Haruru Wrote: They are forumesque I do agree. However they do not meet my criteria in that they are anonymous and temporary. A proper forum does not have a limit on how long a post lasts for. An image board is only a single step above a chatroom in my eye due to this nature.
no necroposting, this thread will be locked : )

anonymity doesn't matter in this classification imo, the discussion method is the same. i would almost argue anonymous threaded discussion offers more merits than identifiable posting because you consider the contents over the poster nearly every single time.

(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:47 PM)Haruru Wrote:
Quote: an email chain is different since there's only one "topic."
This is incorrect, that is simply how most email chains are set up.
i'll admit i've never once seen this in practice then so i can't comment. i was under the same impression as aidan. if the UI is as bad as im imagining it to be though, then fuck it lol
Haruru
Quote:Theoreticals are meaningless in this discussion.
Why is this? In discussing the worth and place something has you must take possibilities in mind.
Draku
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:57 PM)Haruru Wrote:
Quote:Theoreticals are meaningless in this discussion.
Why is this? In discussing the worth and place in something you must take possibilities in mind.
"Do Forums Have a Place in the Modern Web?"

If the Modern Web doesn't have a forum like you are supposing, it isn't relevant to this discussion topic. I mean shit, one has never existed, so it doesn't apply as a previous example either.
Haruru
I disagree in this context. We are discussing things unique to forums intrinsically and that is not something that they have or are limited to.
Haruru
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:53 PM)Draku Wrote: no necroposting, this thread will be locked : )
I am referring to the limit on posts in a thread that is a defining trait of image boards, forums do not have this limitation.
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:53 PM)Draku Wrote: i'll admit i've never once seen this in practice then so i can't comment. i was under the same impression as aidan. if the UI is as bad as im imagining it to be though, then fuck it lol
The UI is a result of your email client, as emails do not have a set UI.
Draku
(Jul 9, 2021 at 10:08 PM)Haruru Wrote:
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:53 PM)Draku Wrote: no necroposting, this thread will be locked : )
I am referring to the limit on posts in a thread that is a defining trait of image boards, forums do not have this limitation.
yeah i know what you meant. i do take it as simply an alternate spin, as discussion on a particular subject winds up continuing in new threads. imageboards in general tends to be less wide-catching in the category field, they have more specialized and time-sensitive threads. but threads nonetheless. general threads DO exist, but in a stranger form.

archival used to be sparse back in the day but you can now easily go back through old threads, even through 4chan natively. they are simply in a state similar to being locked for their age, which is a practice present on "normal" forums.

(Jul 9, 2021 at 10:08 PM)Haruru Wrote:
(Jul 9, 2021 at 9:53 PM)Draku Wrote: i'll admit i've never once seen this in practice then so i can't comment. i was under the same impression as aidan. if the UI is as bad as im imagining it to be though, then fuck it lol
The UI is a result of your email client, as emails do not have a set UI.
i was expecting this sort of reply, but it's not like email clients really mess with the core experience that much. emails and their features are going to be displayed in the same general way no matter what you're using. if there is a specialized client for email threads i could be eating shit though.

consider like, nearly every IRC client ever. microsoft comic chat EXISTS but when you 're talking about the UI of IRC, does your mind actually go there? no, it goes to how every single other IRC client displays things, which is virtually always in the same general fashion with subtle tweaks.
Haruru
Quote:if there is a specialized client for email threads i could be eating shit though.
Multiple clients display chains in a forum-like manner, though I do not know if they exist in English.
Draku
(Jul 9, 2021 at 10:17 PM)Haruru Wrote:
Quote:if there is a specialized client for email threads i could be eating shit though.
Multiple clients display chains in a forum-like manner, though I do not know if they exist in English.
then i will eat shit. the way threading (as i know it) is done in every email client i've used is complete ass (and executed fairly similarly between all of them) so i assumed the worst.