stop looking at my profile then...
Pea
i envy those who have more badges than me
Aidan
why don't we just delete despair
Pea
make your own thread
Draku
just use a good browser bro lol..........

[Image: PVbYz86.png]
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Amoeba
I use chrome tho. Its my preferred browser
Pea
what the fuck kind of spaghetti code is this forum for it to not show a badge correctly on chromium based browsers
Draku
(Sep 17, 2021 at 6:03 AM)Pea Wrote: what the fuck kind of spaghetti code is this forum for it to not show a badge correctly on chromium based browsers
it has to do with the file itself, not the forum.

free software to make svgs fucking sucks ass so it doesn't render properly on chrome because it isn't based like firefox. despair tried to re-export the badge in illustrator to fix it at one point but it immensely fucked up what the badge looked like, iirc. so unless someone remakes it outright it can't be fixed

now what's weirder is that other badges made in inkscape seem to not have this issue, including past years' badges, so i have no idea why this one is like this to begin with.
Mario
I know Spritey had a hell of a time doing something weird to get animated SVGs but I'm not sure how normal ones would be fucked up.

So let's check it out.

https://minus.world/images/badges/mwawards20.svg

loading this up in chromium gives me this at the top:

[Image: owawFgj.png]

now that does seem correct to me that whatever the fuck that is is not a URI. but it does render below that.

the thing about SVGs are they're actually XML files, so you can view the source code for them

[Image: ZMvSNv8.png]
ok that looks weird but idk much about svgs. it's failing on the fucking metadata though which is kinda funny.

view-source:https://minus.world/images/badges/mwawards20.svg
does linking view source like this work? it doesnt seem to in firefox.

so line three in text is:

Code:
xmlns:ns="&ns_ai;"

we can compare with another SVG that actually works

https://minus.world/images/badges/mwawards19.svg

looks good in chromium

line 3 there is:

Code:

so only one 38 there. wtf is the 38 thing?

well the & part is an HTML Entity for an ampersand, so maybe it's double encoding those? lets check the table

https://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/charref

........................................ ok what the fuck. & is also an ampersand. so it like. html entity encoded the ampersand there like 3 times.

so this should be correct:

Code:

now I'm not sure what the fuck &ns_ai; is supposed to be either; it looks like an html entity as well but I haven't found any meaning of it whatsoever and googling it just gets other people with svg errors as well.

so fixing that in the svg file should get it working. seems like chrome only deals with the encoding up to twice there and then gives up and is fairly like 'what the fuck is this'. I think firefox just doesn't give a shit about that mysterious metadata line. anyone know what it even means???
Mario
oh NS is probably namespace. so XML namespace: namespace = & namespace _ ai. and ns_ai probably means adobe illustrator. so opening it in inkscape and back and forth probably just corrupts that field over and over as they fight over it. somebody's gotta tell those inkscape devs what the deal is
Pea
wonderful explanation of the issue. where's your ko-fi
Draku
Thanks Kesha. File edited, problem resolved. Your "this should be correct" makes it throw an error in both Firefox AND Chrome when attempted, but simply reusing the line you pulled from the '19 award instead made it work fine in Chrome.
Mario
is there an adobe xml reader? I bet it probably renders as some kind of logo for illustrator there. or adobe just put it in there to fuck up anyone else. it doesn't make any sense
Mario
found someone else ranting about it: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T144827
Draku
fucking bizarre. thanks adobe
Fun With Despair
i had new versions of the badges made I think, with a better strap as well, but I think something about the actual minus ball in the middle was fucked up due to inkscape being shit with regards to illustrator compatibility (which is what I use). i'll see if I can maybe just find the file for the newer versions and finish them/fix them so we can just use those as a template going forward and stop worrying about shit like this
Mario
yeah ideally that weird proprietary illustrator stuff would get replaced with something else that inkscape wont fuck up on save, idk enough about svg files and google fu isn't coming up with anything easily for me on this. my best guess is its just a namespace so you can probably remove it if its not referenced anywhere else or just call it whatever you want since &ns_ai; seems to be the correct value but &amp#38;ns_ai; seems to work as well for some reason
the one thing i know for sure is that this is all pea's fault.